George Floyd

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Nov 6, 2010
Body cam footage. Certainly paints a new picture...

https://youtu.be/QnLnR0XtLIM
What did it change in your mind? I had already heard that he was under the influence. And I had already seen where the initial cops on the scene did a pretty good job given the circumstances. Then the "veteran" showed up and chocked him out. I really do hope the rookies get off, because they were in an impossible situation. Yea, they could have done more, but that is so easy for anyone not in the moment to say. Chauvin IMO is the only one who should get prosecuted criminally.

Jul 22, 2011
What did it change in your mind? I had already heard that he was under the influence. And I had already seen where the initial cops on the scene did a pretty good job given the circumstances. Then the "veteran" showed up and chocked him out. I really do hope the rookies get off, because they were in an impossible situation. Yea, they could have done more, but that is so easy for anyone not in the moment to say. Chauvin IMO is the only one who should get prosecuted criminally.
Shows that he was having trouble breathing prior to the incident. Agreed, Chauvin certainly deserves prosecution for killing him, but he was likely overcharged with 2nd degree murder. It pretty much solidifies that some of the cops, if not all, will beat the charges and things will get so much worse in the streets.

Nov 6, 2010
Shows that he was having trouble breathing prior to the incident. Agreed, Chauvin certainly deserves prosecution for killing him, but he was likely overcharged with 2nd degree murder. It pretty much solidifies that some of the cops, if not all, will beat the charges and things will get so much worse in the streets.
Yea, unfortunately, I think justice cannot be served in this case due to the high profile nature. The DA feels the need to over-charge, and the jury will feel the need to convict. In any other situation they'd probably plead it down to a lesser charge to get a conviction, but probably not possible in this one. Likely best case scenario is for Chauvin to be convicted of the higher charge and the others either plea down or get acquitted, regardless of whether that is truly justice or not.

May 31, 2007
Edmond, OK
I don’t know that it changed anything in my mind but I also really wanted to see the bodycam as there were a lot of things I was assuming that now I can say are confirmed. I was referring to the picture painted by the media versus the reality of the situation we see in the video.

To me the biggest thing from that video is GF saying right off the bat that he can’t breathe. You say Chauvin choked him out but I’m not sure we can definitively say that. My thought has been that Chauvin probably didn’t cause Floyd’s death or that at most it’s going to be inconclusive, but that since Chauvin didn’t follow protocol (and is at least a jerk and at most a bad cop) he put himself in this position. So I have no sympathy with him but I agree with you that the other cops are really only guilty by association. Which is sad because their lives are irreparably harmed by all this.

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
Sammamish, Washington.Dallas, Texas.Maui, Hawaii
I don’t know that it changed anything in my mind but I also really wanted to see the bodycam as there were a lot of things I was assuming that now I can say are confirmed. I was referring to the picture painted by the media versus the reality of the situation we see in the video.

To me the biggest thing from that video is GF saying right off the bat that he can’t breathe. You say Chauvin choked him out but I’m not sure we can definitively say that. My thought has been that Chauvin probably didn’t cause Floyd’s death or that at most it’s going to be inconclusive, but that since Chauvin didn’t follow protocol (and is at least a jerk and at most a bad cop) he put himself in this position. So I have no sympathy with him but I agree with you that the other cops are really only guilty by association. Which is sad because their lives are irreparably harmed by all this.
Is bad cop = to murderer?

Pokit N

Gent of Good Intent
A/V Subscriber
Sep 29, 2006
Lily Lake, IL

Floyd saying he can’t breath before Chauvin put his knee on his neck is going to be a problem for the prosecution. I think @Cody51 maybe be right. Hold onto your butts everyone.

Jul 9, 2004
How many people who are about to be arrested say I can't breathe or you're breaking my wrist/arm or I have (insert ailment or disability) or whatever else you can think of? Probably the same % as when someone gets busted for drugs and denies it's theirs.

The whole I can't breathe thing is a tough one. Obviously it was true this time. However, I would think over time, one would become insensitive to that repeated claim by a suspected criminal under arrest.

Either way, I still think Chauvin was in the wrong. Floyd was not going anywhere

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Nov 6, 2010
Floyd saying he can’t breath before Chauvin put his knee on his neck is going to be a problem for the prosecution. I think @Cody51 maybe be right. Hold onto your butts everyone.
Why, he could have said he was the King of England, but in the end, a knee on his neck for 8 minutes killed him.

Sep 22, 2011
Why, he could have said he was the King of England, but in the end, a knee on his neck for 8 minutes killed him.
Should chauvin go to jail? Yes. Will he? Tough to say, it will be hard to prove murder 2. The prosecution should have stuck with manslaughter. I think he stands a very good chance of walking

May 31, 2007
Edmond, OK
I don’t think we can say that for sure. I’d go so far as to say there’s as much or more evidence against that than there is for it. But I can’t prove or disprove that. It all seems very inconclusive IMO.

wrenhal

Banned
Banned
Aug 11, 2011

As I've read a couple of times already, it sets a precedent of him just saying random stuff. It's "the boy who cried wolf" syndrome. The cops hear all kinds of things like this. Like GF saying OW when they are just holding his arm and walking him to the car. Or him saying he's claustrophobic so didn't want to be put in the car, even though he had just been in his car.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Pokit N

Gent of Good Intent
A/V Subscriber
Sep 29, 2006
Lily Lake, IL
The defense will argue it wasn't the Knee that killed him, some other medical whatever did it, and they will use his statement that he couldn't breath before he was on the ground as proof. It may not fly, I dunno but we will see.

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
Sammamish, Washington.Dallas, Texas.Maui, Hawaii
The defense will argue it wasn't the Knee that killed him, some other medical whatever did it, and they will use his statement that he couldn't breath before he was on the ground as proof. It may not fly, I dunno but we will see.
For sure they will. And the prosecution will show 8:45 video of him on his throat smiling.

May 31, 2007
Edmond, OK
For sure they will. And the prosecution will show 8:45 video of him on his throat smiling.
Refresh my memory, but didn’t the autopsy indicate the knee didn’t directly cause any harm? I don’t recall any damage to the esophagus for example. The question is I would think, is there reasonable doubt that the officer’s actions is what resulted in the death. And given everything we know it seems to be inconclusive as to what happened and therefore it seems there is plenty of reasonable doubt.

Oct 30, 2007
I don't think that there were any big revelations from the bodycam video that was released. It primarily just verified what was in the police report. That could be important because many people were disputing the fact that he resisted arrest prior to being detained on the ground.

From a legal standpoint, it appears that the police officer's actions were justified up until the point where he kept his knee on his neck after he stopped resisting arrest. I don't like the use of the neck restraint at all in this situation, but you can't blame the officer for doing something that's allowed in their department's rules & regulations.

There's no doubt that keeping his knee over his neck was a reckless act that contributed to his death, but does that constitute 2nd degree murder? Someone smarter than me will have to figure that out. I hope that he doesn't end up walking because prosecutors overreached on the charges.

May 31, 2007
Edmond, OK
I don't think that there were any big revelations from the bodycam video that was released. It primarily just verified what was in the police report. That could be important because many people were disputing the fact that he resisted arrest prior to being detained on the ground.

From a legal standpoint, it appears that the police officer's actions were justified up until the point where he kept his knee on his neck after he stopped resisting arrest. I don't like the use of the neck restraint at all in this situation, but you can't blame the officer for doing something that's allowed in their department's rules & regulations.

There's no doubt that keeping his knee over his neck was a reckless act that contributed to his death, but does that constitute 2nd degree murder? Someone smarter than me will have to figure that out. I hope that he doesn't end up walking because prosecutors overreached on the charges.
I feel like saying there’s no doubt is way too strong. It sure looks like the guy was a ticking time bomb with the drugs he was taking and his otherwise poor health. Him having a manic episode because he knew he had been caught and was headed to jail may have just been unavoidable. He could have just as easily died sitting in the back of the patrol car. We just don’t know.

Also, I thought the neck restraint wasn’t allowed in their department? Am I wrong on that?