George W. Bush coming back to OSU to throw first pitch

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Feb 27, 2018
Tulsa
www.tulsaworld.com
Link

As a result of his longtime friendship with Oklahoma State donor Cecil O’Brate, the 73-year-old Bush is said by multiple sources to have agreed to throw the ceremonial first pitch before the start of the TCU-OSU baseball game — the first game played at the Cowboys’ new ballpark.

Built at a cost of about $60 million, the stadium project was driven by O’Brate’s signature donation of $35 million. O’Brate’s involvement in the project is rooted in a 2016 trip to Omaha, Nebraska, where he was a guest of OSU athletic director Mike Holder at the College World Series.

snuffy

Free Harambe!
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Feb 28, 2007
Oklahoma
Hi folks, please remember this is the sport forum. We have a place to talk politics. They are not the same place.
Thank you

Oct 30, 2007
That's awesome. I couldn't think of a better way to open the new stadium. He's getting up there in age, but I bet he'll still deliver a decent pitch. I'll never forget this moment:

sc5mu93

WeaselMonkey
A/V Subscriber
Oct 18, 2006
Spring, TX
That's awesome. I couldn't think of a better way to open the new stadium. He's getting up there in age, but I bet he'll still deliver a decent pitch. I'll never forget this moment:
while obviously he is a good choice, but he is also a baseball guy with a history with the Rangers, so I like that.

Jostate

CPTNQUIRK called me a greenhorn
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
Big plus for Holder.

W's dad, the first George Bush president, played first base in the first college world series ever. He was no stranger to baseball. When he threw out the first pitch somewhere it was high and outside so his response was "he caught it before it broke". I thought it was pretty clever.

pokes16

Territorial Marshal
Oct 16, 2003
Tulsa
Best first pitch in history. Especially, after Jeter had just told him to throw from the mound, "And don't bounce it"!

Aug 16, 2012
Too bad first game is over spring break. That will lower the student section crowd.
Had not realized that.

Everyone wants the stadium to open as soon as possible, but that is not the smartest scheduling choice.

Me? I would have waited two days for the mid-week game against Wichita State. Bring back Ward and Stephenson as honorary coaches since they represent such a great rivalry that defined APR for a long time