GOP truly has become a parody of themselves

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

TheMonkey

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 16, 2004
DFW
Rep. Michael McCaul (R-Texas) on Sunday said he does not agree with the Republican National Committee's characterization of Jan. 6 being "legitimate political discourse" if it applies to those who committed violence that day.
TIL

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_McCaul
McCaul is married to Linda Mays McCaul, the daughter of Clear Channel Communications founder and former chairman Lowry Mays and sister of its former CEO Mark Mays. In 2011, Roll Call named McCaul as one of the wealthiest members of the United States Congress, surpassing then U.S. Senator John Kerry. His net worth was estimated at $294 million, about 300% higher than it was in the previous year ($74 million).[20] In 2004, the same publication estimated his net worth at $12 million. His wealth increase was due to large monetary transfers from his wife's family

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
Not sure of the point you’re trying to make.
Not that hard. The tweet is incredibly stupid since basically all of our 65+ population is on Medicare (where you expect deaths to be), but the implication is that those people died because they were on medicare. Regardless of how you feel about medicare for all, @Binman4OSU is reacting to that tweet's stupidity.

Edit: dude has an MS from MIT and doesn't understand easy third variable problems. Also possible he's just disingenuous to score political "points." Either way, more reason to take pride in my degrees from state schools.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2020
Broken Arrow
Not that hard. The tweet is incredibly stupid since basically all of our 65+ population is on Medicare (where you expect deaths to be), but the implication is that those people died because they were on medicare. Regardless of how you feel about medicare for all, @Binman4OSU is reacting to that tweet's stupidity.

Edit: dude has an MS from MIT and doesn't understand easy third variable problems. Also possible he's just disingenuous to score political "points." Either way, more reason to take pride in my degrees from state schools.
Yea, I guess I can extrapolate that from his 5 words. I guess you speak better Binman than I do

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
Sammamish, Washington.Dallas, Texas.Maui, Hawaii
I mean, if he's going for satire, he doesn't understand it and/or is in super deep. Have read through his twitter feed and some interview transcripts, statements like that are constant.
Without reading who wrote it, most would say it’s a joke or a thought provoking comment. Then you see who said it and realize it’s satirical because it came from a politician. Meaning, you can’t believe a word of it.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
Without reading who wrote it, most would say it’s a joke or a thought provoking comment. Then you see who said it and realize it’s satirical because it came from a politician. Meaning, you can’t believe a word of it.
I'm not sure it is satire. His twitter feed is full of WTF is he talking about. He tweeted this out at 1 AM last night

gundysburner

Territorial Marshal
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO

Sure reads like he's trolling to me, but then again, this is why Twitter's the bathroom wall of the internet. It does give some people plenty of pearl-clutching opportunities daily, though.

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
I don't think satire fits what this is.

From Britannica "artistic form, chiefly literary and dramatic, in which human or individual vices, follies, abuses, or shortcomings are held up to censure by means of ridicule, derision, burlesque, irony, parody, caricature, or other methods, sometimes with an intent to inspire social reform."

If it were said ironically to poke fun at bad logic that opposes medicare for all, that would clearly be satire, but this is just an extreme extension of what is clearly a truly held belief. The only exception is if this is somehow a sort of extreme method acting and he's really making fun of republicans while being a republican representative. That's not the same as saying something because you know it will piss off liberals and showing that you can piss off liberals gets you political points.

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
Sammamish, Washington.Dallas, Texas.Maui, Hawaii
I'm not sure it is satire. His twitter feed is full of WTF is he talking about. He tweeted this out at 1 AM last night

I don't think satire fits what this is.

From Britannica "artistic form, chiefly literary and dramatic, in which human or individual vices, follies, abuses, or shortcomings are held up to censure by means of ridicule, derision, burlesque, irony, parody, caricature, or other methods, sometimes with an intent to inspire social reform."

If it were said ironically to poke fun at bad logic that opposes medicare for all, that would clearly be satire, but this is just an extreme extension of what is clearly a truly held belief. The only exception is if this is somehow a sort of extreme method acting and he's really making fun of republicans while being a republican representative. That's not the same as saying something because you know it will piss off liberals and showing that you can piss off liberals gets you political points.
I’m saying since he’s a politician, you shouldn’t believe or listen to what he has to say. Hence, it’s satirical. Fiction. He’s trying to be thought provoking but only to the lowest denominator. Why even waste the time looking into him? You know by definition he’s picked a snake oil profession that is solely based on pitting one against another. Don’t lower yourself to their level. Just offer the pity they’ve earned.