Greg Swaim

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Feb 6, 2007
Starkville, MS
What ever happened to that guy? I know a lot of people didn't like him, but I always found his basketball knowledge to be fairly in depth and he wasn't afraid to call a duck a duck. And NO, I don't work for him or anything. I'm just curious if anyone knows where he went since he left Stillwater and team radio.

snuffy

Calf fries are the original sack lunch.
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Feb 28, 2007
Oklahoma
What ever happened to that guy? I know a lot of people didn't like him, but I always found his basketball knowledge to be fairly in depth and he wasn't afraid to call a duck a duck. And NO, I don't work for him or anything. I'm just curious if anyone knows where he went since he left Stillwater and team radio.
I think it was 2 or 3 years ago he lost his press privileges because he was not going to enough games. It seemed like it was around the same time that his show went off the air but I don't remember why.

Oct 11, 2004
Oklahoma City
I think it was 2 or 3 years ago he lost his press privileges because he was not going to enough games. It seemed like it was around the same time that his show went off the air but I don't remember why.
i believe Swaim left triple play sports radio a couple years ago because he apparently had a new show set up with a different and possibly bigger radio station. i'm guessing that deal fell through because he only has a radio show on the internet now.

Dec 6, 2006
Tulsa
www.tulsalawyer.org
Yes Garber. And his boys were part of their recent class B state championship team I believe.
Mar. 8--March 8, 2010

Garber celebrates state basketball title

GARBER -- --

Garber coach Dusty Torrey had a confession during the celebration of the Wolverines' Class A state boys basketball championship Monday at the school.

He didn't do any coaching in the fourth quarter of Garber's 59-31 win over Okarche in the championship game Saturday at Oklahoma City's State Fair Arena.

"I just sat there savoring the moment,'' said Torrey. "It was unbelievable ... the guys put us through an unbelievable journey.''

The hardest thing of his coaching career, Torrey said, came when he pulled senior starters Tyler Miller, Bryce Lamer, Hayden Vencl, James Semrad and Dylan Postier for the final time in the fourth quarter.

"This is the best team I'll ever coach,'' Torrey said, "and it was going to be the last opportunity I would have to coach them ... I just wanted to watch them, and savor the moment.''

Torrey told the large crowd he didn't know what to tell the media when asked what he would thought was the key to the success of a senior class which not only won 100 games in basketball, but two state titles in football.

"I'm just lucky to be their coach,'' he said. "It's a special group of guys and I enjoyed every minute of it.''

Torrey called the support the team got from both the community and student body "unbelievable.''

The players, Torrey said, may not realize the impact of their accomplishment until they get older.

Torrey, as a player at Drummond High School, spent numerous hours in the gym working on his game with the dreams of playing in the State Fair Arena.

He never did, but his Wolverine players played seven games in "the Big House,'' (a.k.a. State Fair Arena) reaching the state semifinals in 2008, losing to Red Oak in the Class B finals in 2009 before winning it all this season.

"That's unbelievable,'' Torrey said. "I don't think it will hit them until they have kids and they can tell them 'I played seven games on that floor and won my last game.''

Torrey attributed the championships in both football and basketball to the players' unselfishness.

"They would rather make a great pass than being on the receiving end,'' Torrey said. "They were the most unselfish team I've ever coached.''

The players, Torrey said, always brought into the concept "defense wins championships.''

"I wouldn't want to have been an opposing coach and have to figure out a way to score on these guys,'' Torrey said.

Torrey said he never had a complaint from a parent.

"They were always willing to put in the time for their children to be successful,'' he said.

Garber Mayor Greg Swaim, who has two sons on the team, said the Wolverines made an impact on fans he met in Oklahoma City.

An older couple he met told him how impressed they were the Wolverines went about their business, not bringing attention to themselves,

"It's not just about the winning with these guys,'' Swaim said. "It doesn't get any better than this.''

Superintendent Jim Lamer, who coached several of the players in YMCA basketball, said the team "was a good group who you could be proud of.''

He joked he was going to make Okarche coach Ray West "an honorary Wolverine fan,'' for all the games he went to scouting Garber for a possible matchup.

The team opened the ceremony by marching throughout the gym slapping the hands of elementary school students to the tune of "We Are The Champions.''

The ceremony ended with the team cutting down the nets to "One Shining Moment.''

OP 9000

Administrator
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Oct 13, 2003
Stillwater, OK
www.orangepower.com
Let's recap:
http://www.orangepower.com/showthread.php?t=78818

He lost his credentials for ripping Sean Sutton (rightfully or wrongly, but he was still our head coach) on a near daily basis on his radio show.. as well as Mike Holder. The attendance issue was simply the loophole used to make it justified. Why give someone a free pass to the games when they just rip you to shreds the next day on the radio?

Losing the credentials only made it worse. He started doing the same ripping of the coaches and administration on the message board. When the admins made him stop.. he started ripping OP and it's admins both live on the air... and I'll quote "Orangepower is the worst website on the internet" and on his own message board.. where he proceeded to post personal information and comments about the moderators.

And it was far from an isolated incident. He's been banned at one time or another from every message board for the same behavior. His basketball knowledge was peerless for this area... but his insatiable desire to be the center of attention make him a pain to work with. I'm sure it had something to do with his radio show as well.

Glad he's finding success in Garber being the center of attention. I'm sure he's happy and the town doesn't seem to mind.

Nov 7, 2003
Edmond
He still has his recruiting service and yes is the mayor of bigtime Garber.

He still posts on Sutton court on rivals, and he still pisses people off.

Jul 28, 2004
Stillwater
Had problems with not getting special treatment.

GodsPeace

Joshua 1:9
Aug 20, 2004
Stillwater
He started some bs rumor(don't remember it specifically) during one of our football games, and texted it to RA. RA then told him to shut the hell up, essentially. It was funny. RA went off on him for starting and/or perpetuating unfounded crap, and interrupting him during a broadcast.

It was fun.

Nov 11, 2007
Tulsa
www.RLHudson.com
Let's recap:
http://www.orangepower.com/showthread.php?t=78818

He lost his credentials for ripping Sean Sutton (rightfully or wrongly, but he was still our head coach) on a near daily basis on his radio show.. as well as Mike Holder. The attendance issue was simply the loophole used to make it justified. Why give someone a free pass to the games when they just rip you to shreds the next day on the radio?

Losing the credentials only made it worse. He started doing the same ripping of the coaches and administration on the message board. When the admins made him stop.. he started ripping OP and it's admins both live on the air... and I'll quote "Orangepower is the worst website on the internet" and on his own message board.. where he proceeded to post personal information and comments about the moderators.

And it was far from an isolated incident. He's been banned at one time or another from every message board for the same behavior. His basketball knowledge was peerless for this area... but his insatiable desire to be the center of attention make him a pain to work with. I'm sure it had something to do with his radio show as well.

Glad he's finding success in Garber being the center of attention. I'm sure he's happy and the town doesn't seem to mind.

I wasn't aware of that. That is too bad. I enjoyed his basketball insights.