Gundy job status

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 13, 2010
Chicago
Having slept on this...

The thing about the breathtaking FCS scare is the context in which it's a continuation from last season. While firing Gundy seems absurd right now at the beginning of a season, it's the main topic at the end of most lately. Even though more fans want a succession plan than not, I thought "the deal" was that he would be given time to work hard on the issues and get to retire on a high note. It turns out anyone who thought that is insane because "the deal" is just that Gundy is coach for life in exchange for zero expectations.

You all keep citing Texas and Nebraska... but Bo Pelini and Tom Herman actually had higher winning percentages than Gundy does. I think a better comparison is Pat Jones, who we actually allowed to remain a few more years after a winless season. We're going to let Gundy have the same second half as Pat Jones, and that blows my mind.

We are not going to make it in a "Big 16" super conference by the conclusion of another Pat Jones era. You might as well just repo T. Boone's investment because it was all for nothing if we let that happen.

TheMonkey

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 16, 2004
DFW
Having slept on this...

The thing about the breathtaking FCS scare is the context in which it's a continuation from last season. While firing Gundy seems absurd right now at the beginning of a season, it's the main topic at the end of most lately. Even though more fans want a succession plan than not, I thought "the deal" was that he would be given time to work hard on the issues and get to retire on a high note. It turns out anyone who thought that is insane because "the deal" is just that Gundy is coach for life in exchange for zero expectations.

You all keep citing Texas and Nebraska... but Bo Pelini and Tom Herman actually had higher winning percentages than Gundy does. I think a better comparison is Pat Jones, who we actually allowed to remain a few more years after a winless season. We're going to let Gundy have the same second half as Pat Jones, and that blows my mind.

We are not going to make it in a "Big 16" super conference by the conclusion of another Pat Jones era. You might as well just repo T. Boone's investment because it was all for nothing if we let that happen.
This is so far from Pat Jones, it’s not even funny. Gundy’s record during this slump is still slightly better than Herman’s record at UT over the same years. Pelini’s record at Nebraska was really good, but expectations were insanely high at Nebraska and Pelini was a total a-hole. But you’re missing the point. It’s not about Herman and Pelini. It’s that the fan base and donors thought they could do better than Brown and Solich. And they couldn’t.

My advice? Sleep on it some more. Your takes still haven’t improved.

Last edited:

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Having slept on this...

Gundy will not go out like Pat Jones. Man you are a sad sack. Go out and enjoy some sun and walk the dog…then take a deep breath and realized that we won last week and will again this one. Dude, chill.

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
I've said all along that I absolutely don't want Gundy gone, but I don't think it's too much to ask for a few provisos and stipulations to be put in place.

1. Name a special teams coordinator and start treating that like the 1/3 of the game that it is. I challenge anyone to find another power 5 team that doesn't have a ST coordinator. It's mind boggling that this "experiment" is still going on.

What's more baffling is that Gundy used to place a high emphasis on special teams. Our return units were feared, our kickers routinely challenged for post season honors and we were among the top 3 in non- offensive touchdowns.

Now our return teams are a joke, our kicking units are wildly inconsistent, even on XPs, and we are failing to cover deep onsides at the end of a 7 point game against lower division competition. Something has to change.

2. Allow the offense to grow and evolve. Quit saying other OC's have to adjust to our system and let the OC adjust our system to put his stamp on it and to fit the players we have (or to cover up the weaknesses that we have). We don't have to establish the run against every opponent.

We have all seen this over the years through multiple OC's.....periods in a game where our offense will go several empty possessions in a row stubbornly running into a stacked line every single 1st and 2nd down.

That's it. If he refuses to change these two things then maybe it is time to start thinking about the future.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
I've said all along that I absolutely don't want Gundy gone, but I don't think it's too much to ask for a few provisos and stipulations to be put in place.

1. Name a special teams coordinator and start treating that like the 1/3 of the game that it is. I challenge anyone to find another power 5 team that doesn't have a ST coordinator. It's mind boggling that this "experiment" is still going on.

What's more baffling is that Gundy used to place a high emphasis on special teams. Our return units were feared, our kickers routinely challenged for post season honors and we were among the top 3 in non- offensive touchdowns.

Now our return teams are a joke, our kicking units are wildly inconsistent, even on XPs, and we are failing to cover deep onsides at the end of a 7 point game against lower division competition. Something has to change.

2. Allow the offense to grow and evolve. Quit saying other OC's have to adjust to our system and let the OC adjust our system to put his stamp on it and to fit the players we have (or to cover up the weaknesses that we have). We don't have to establish the run against every opponent.

We have all seen this over the years through multiple OC's.....periods in a game where our offense will go several empty possessions in a row stubbornly running into a stacked line every single 1st and 2nd down.

That's it. If he refuses to change these two things then maybe it is time to start thinking about the future.
Give him a call I’m sure you have the credentials to make him listen. It’s not like he’s the winningest coach in our history or anything…and you are a message board poster. I bet there are more than a few reasons why he handles things the way he does. Seems to be working overall to me.

PokeJ

Territorial Marshal
Oct 27, 2003
McKinney, TX
Visit site
The mediocrity of this fan board never ceases to amaze me.
How many angry posts do we have to post before we can say we reject mediocrity? Or is it simply being angry enough in a single post? How exactly does the karma of angry posts improve the team's play?
Just a bunch of posters over compensating for their meaningless mediocre life’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

TheMonkey

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 16, 2004
DFW

I think those are fair criticisms and I share the same questions about these decisions. It’s a far cry from demanding Gundy’s firing after a subpar performance against an FCS opponent with 10 of our players out.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Closer to Stillwater today than I was last year

I think those are fair criticisms and I share the same questions about these decisions. It’s a far cry from demanding Gundy’s firing after a subpar performance against an FCS opponent with 10 of our players out.
There is mediocrity in your words of death, and of life...

sent from Tapatalk penalized by wearing a mask

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
Give him a call I’m sure you have the credentials to make him listen. It’s not like he’s the winningest coach in our history or anything…and you are a message board poster. I bet there are more than a few reasons why he handles things the way he does. Seems to be working overall to me.
If you think going from among the national leaders in special teams scores to among the national leaders in missed extra points is working then we'll just have to disagree.

Jun 4, 2014
Dallas, TX
I agree for the most part. However, we are going on this trend for about 5 years now. Timing isn’t always perfect, but it needs to be a serious consideration at the top. Especially if we are under new athletic management at the top, staring at a completely different athletic environment.

CEO’s bring in their own people for a reason. It should be fair to evaluate Gundy as the incumbent CFO of Weiberg’s direction. But we should definitely ride out this season.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
I hope someday soon Gundy looks in the mirror and says “At this point in my career, I suck as a coach. I can’t and/or don’t care to recruit. The good people at Oklahoma State who have paid me tens of millions of dollars over the last decade and a half deserve better. While early in my career, my return on investment was high but now I’m out of touch and complacent with my wealth and status. Perhaps I’ll return the favor and submit my resignation.”

I think this is how it ends for Gundy and OSU!
In our current situation, who are we going to hire that is both better and willing to stick around for a decade plus?

Some of y'all need to check out how Nebraska is doing after firing coach after coach for not meeting unrealistic expectations and see how that is going for them.
Texas anyone?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

UrbanCowboy1

Some cowboys gots smarts real good like me.
Aug 8, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
Quit using big words, we have to figure out how to get Nick Saban for 1/10th of gindy's salary
Except we pay Gundy really good money. If this was his first year and he was making his first year salary I don't think anyone would have much room to complain. But we pay him a big program salary and have consistently underperformed the past 5 years.

I'm sure some people have done it, but we should have a look at the ratio of salary per win. In conference and bowl games only. None of the Missouri State/Tulsa wins to make us look good. I would be very interested to see what we pay per win vs the Saban's and Riley's of the world.

TheMonkey

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 16, 2004
DFW
Except we pay Gundy really good money. If this was his first year and he was making his first year salary I don't think anyone would have much room to complain. But we pay him a big program salary and have consistently underperformed the past 5 years.

I'm sure some people have done it, but we should have a look at the ratio of salary per win. In conference and bowl games only. None of the Missouri State/Tulsa wins to make us look good. I would be very interested to see what we pay per win vs the Saban's and Riley's of the world.
Gundy was #26 last year, which is below our average ranking. He's considered a top 20/top 15 coach. He took a $1m dollar deduction this year and will be earning $4.3m. As crazy as it sounds, he's a bargain salary-wise.

I think Riley, Herman, and Patterson all made more than Gundy last year. Matt Campbell was a little lower. Baylor doesn't disclose salary.
1631030167269.png

ArizonaPoke

Cowboy
A/V Subscriber
Jun 25, 2011

What we need is someone who can challenge Gundy without Gundy getting bent out of shape. When Holder called him out on recruiting Gundy wanted to take his ball and go home. And Holder really wasn’t that critical. He just said if He were the coach He would be trying to get higher rated recruits. Remember as a golf coach Holder was a good recruiter. So it wasn’t the worst thing he could have said yet Gundy took umbrage. Someone needs to counter balance Gundy.

UrbanCowboy1

Some cowboys gots smarts real good like me.
Aug 8, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
Gundy was #26 last year, which is below our average ranking. He's considered a top 20/top 15 coach. He took a $1m dollar deduction this year and will be earning $4.3m. As crazy as it sounds, he's a bargain salary-wise.

I think Riley, Herman, and Patterson all made more than Gundy last year. Matt Campbell was a little lower. Baylor doesn't disclose salary.
View attachment 91902
Ha, I found that same list. Now apply conference games/bowl game wins against it from the last five years. Is it still a bargain? ( I don't know the answer to this)

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
I agree for the most part. However, we are going on this trend for about 5 years now. Timing isn’t always perfect, but it needs to be a serious consideration at the top. Especially if we are under new athletic management at the top, staring at a completely different athletic environment.

CEO’s bring in their own people for a reason. It should be fair to evaluate Gundy as the incumbent CFO of Weiberg’s direction. But we should definitely ride out this season.
So wait, if I'm on a five year bowl streak with a 4-1 bowl record over that time...additionally I have 2 of the programs historic 8 total 10 win seasons in that five years, I have to be worried?

So, yes, I agree we "ride out this season." LOL :facepalm:

osupsycho

MAXIMUM EFFORT!!!
A/V Subscriber
Apr 20, 2005
Valhalla

What position coach do we get rid of? You do realize there is a limit on the number of coaches teams can have right? So to add a special teams coach we have to eliminate another position coach spot, so which one? Is that one maybe more valuable than a special teams coach...

Also in todays game they have basically made the special teams non existent. It really is not 1/3rd of the game anymore. They have made it where returns are hard to actually have occur. In fact they may soon just get rid of kickoffs completely. They have made it where they are close to that now anyway. Thus with the rules deemphasizing special teams it makes sense not to have a full coaching spot dedicated to it.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth

How in the t-total H*LL has he "consistently under preformed in the past 5 years?" Man you have a high bar.

Status
Not open for further replies.