Gundy job status

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob B.

I'm......Batman.
A/V Subscriber
Aug 13, 2007
Rockin' the GL.
So you still consider us "good" when we have zero conference championships in the last decade, and a current downward trajectory? That's just sad.
Then step up and tell us who we should hire. I bet AD Chad is all ears....

I'll bet you attended OSU when we sucked. It would explain your laughably low standards and defeatist mindset. So laughably low and defeatist, that your only responses to valid criticisms are childish memes....
Then step up and tell us who we should hire. I bet AD Chad is all ears....

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Closer to Stillwater today than I was last year
In our current situation, who are we going to hire that is both better and willing to stick around for a decade plus?

Some of y'all need to check out how Nebraska is doing after firing coach after coach for not meeting unrealistic expectations and see how that is going for them.
Agree.
No matter who comes in after Coach Gundy, it will most likely be the same. This board is just so hateful and negative to him and his staff it gets deflating just to read it.
I can't imagine what a potential Coach or his/her family will think when they read this stuff. It will definitely be all about $$$$ then. OSU will make a real nice "stepping stone" then.
Just saying.
The last two OSU head coaches that left for better jobs were Les Miles and Jimmy Johnson. In fact, that's it for at least the past 100 years. Generally, coaches have 1 or 2 good years followed by extremely bad, then they get fired. This run of bowl games and winning seasons we are on are completely unprecedented in OSU history.

There are very few good coaches. There are even fewer great coaches. There are a LOT of coaches who suck. Firing a good coach, you'd better already have the great coach wrapped up, or suckage is going to find you.

sent from Tapatalk penalized by wearing a mask

UrbanCowboy1

Some cowboys gots smarts real good like me.
Aug 8, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
The last two OSU head coaches that left for better jobs were Les Miles and Jimmy Johnson. In fact, that's it for at least the past 100 years. Generally, coaches have 1 or 2 good years followed by extremely bad, then they get fired. This run of bowl games and winning seasons we are on are completely unprecedented in OSU history.

There are very few good coaches. There are even fewer great coaches. There are a LOT of coaches who suck. Firing a good coach, you'd better already have the great coach wrapped up, or suckage is going to find you.

I'm not saying we need to fire Gundy, but where does this line of thinking get us?

Here's a better question: What would it take for you to say it's time to start looking elsewhere? Another 5-4 conference record? Worse than that? I think for many fans, there is no minimum threshold. And I think Gundy knows this. My biggest problem with all of this back and forth is that at the end of the day there is no incentive for Gundy to go all out every year or at least show progression in the program. He coaches as long as he wants to coach with as much or as little effort as he wants to put in. And that's not a great place for anybody.

*When I say 'you', I mean the collective you of OSU fans.

TheMonkey

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 16, 2004
DFW
I'm not saying we need to fire Gundy, but where does this line of thinking get us?

Here's a better question: What would it take for you to say it's time to start looking elsewhere? Another 5-4 conference record? Worse than that? I think for many fans, there is no minimum threshold. And I think Gundy knows this. My biggest problem with all of this back and forth is that at the end of the day there is no incentive for Gundy to go all out every year or at least show progression in the program. He coaches as long as he wants to coach with as much or as little effort as he wants to put in. And that's not a great place for anybody.

I think Gundy's motivation is moving toward his legacy. By all accounts, he loves OSU and wants to see the program be successful. He has worked to make us a consistently successful program. Not a flash-in-the-pan. Do you think ISU will be consistently successful? I don't. I think Matt Campbell gets hired away in the next 3 years and they fade back into oblivion. Meanwhile, we have typically been the #2/#3 program in the conference.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
That explains a lot. All you have seen is outstanding OSU football. 83-88 here and suffered through the probation of the 90s. Became a fan in the early 70s. We have had two conference championships (I believe) in my 56 years of life…one that was a tie. All of the big years that I recall personally, besides the 1984 /85 gator bowl year, Gundy had a hand in….either as QB, an assistant, or HC.

Last edited:

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
82-84 and 87-88 we weren't terrible then either.
You perception of success will vary a lot depending on when you became a fan and/or attended OSU. I started awareness of OSU in 2002, just before we had the high win totals ever, so my perception is that it's possible to achieve higher levels of success, and it's what I expect.

I've seen us achieve much more than we are achieving now, and I've seen how we've abandoned what got us that success. More than anything, I'm questioning why we abandoned what was working.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth

You think it takes little to no effort to have a winning record and make and win bowls ever stinking year? Man we are spoiled amoung our younger fans.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
That explains a lot. All you have seen is outstanding OSU football. 83-88 here and suffered through the probation of the 90s. Became a fan in the early 70s. We have had two conference championships (I believe) in my 56 years of life…one that was a tie. All of the big years that I recall personally, besides the 1984 /85 gator bowl year, Gundy had a hand in….either as QB, an assistant, or HC.
Great point, Rack. I get that. What I'm trying to figure out is why Gundy abandoned what had us rolling a decade ago. I believe it's related to his unwillingness to look for OC's and DC's every year which is why he brought in Yurcich and subsequent coordinators. It would have required him to adapt so we could scale our program to the next level of success, and he admitted that he was actively trying to avoid that.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
You perception of success will vary a lot depending on when you became a fan and/or attended OSU. I started awareness of OSU in 2002, just before we had the high win totals ever, so my perception is that it's possible to achieve higher levels of success, and it's what I expect.

I've seen us achieve much more than we are achieving now, and I've seen how we've abandoned what got us that success. More than anything, I'm questioning why we abandoned what was working.
Yes this is true…however we are still having great success…just need to do it this year on a higher level than last year and I think we will. One game isn’t an indicator hopefully.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Great point, Rack. I get that. What I'm trying to figure out is why Gundy abandoned what had us rolling a decade ago. I believe it's related to his unwillingness to look for OC's and DC's every year which is why he brought in Yurcich and subsequent coordinators. It would have required him to adapt so we could scale our program to the next level of success, and he admitted that he was actively trying to avoid that.
Sure but if you are going to be so hard on him give him credit for bringing in the best DC we have had since maybe the 70s. Our defense is the best I’ve seen in a long long time. Certainly we need to improve on offense but most of us on the board gave him an A for brining back Dunn. I think Dunn has big potential. I do think the jury is still out on the OC. It may be personnel and I think it was last week…in so much as many of our guys were out with the vid

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
Yes this is true…however we are still having great success…just need to do it this year on a higher level than last year and I think we will. One game isn’t an indicator hopefully.
Clearly, nothing has changed. Just curious how you expect a different result when none of the variables have changed at all? Our fundamental problems are identical to what they've been since 2013, and the results will be the same. Lose to uo, win around 9 games (in an inferior conference), go to a random mediocre bowl game named after a snack food or cleaning product.

Last edited:

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
Why make one of them do double duty when we can just have a grad assistant do the job full time like we do? That way one person can focus on it. I just don't see why people want to harp on this so much. Special teams are not really as big a part of the game anymore anyway for any teams.
Because a grad assistant is still a student. Not sure how this is even debatable. It's painfully obvious the difference in our special teams since we've stopped having a coordinator on staff. They are night and day worse now than then. It would be one thing if this was common but I haven't seen one other program do this...when your head coach does something contrary to what the rest of his entire profession does, you'd like to see evidence that it's helping in some way...instead we get evidence all the time that it's hurting.

Sep 23, 2018
Stillwater
Clearly, nothing has changed. Just curious how you expect a different result when none of the variables have changed at all? Our fundamental problems are identical to what they've been since 2013, and the results will be the same. Lose to uo, win around 9 games, go to a random mediocre bowl game named after a snack food or cleaning product.
but but but we would have been begging for that level of success 30 years ago, so lets shoot for slightly better than average...YEAH!!

osupsycho

MAXIMUM EFFORT!!!
A/V Subscriber
Apr 20, 2005
Valhalla
Because a grad assistant is still a student. Not sure how this is even debatable. It's painfully obvious the difference in our special teams since we've stopped having a coordinator on staff. They are night and day worse now than then. It would be one thing if this was common but I haven't seen one other program do this...when your head coach does something contrary to what the rest of his entire profession does, you'd like to see evidence that it's helping in some way...instead we get evidence all the time that it's hurting.
You are missing the point. Special teams in general are night and day different for ALL teams since we last had a coach dedicated to this. Wanna guess how many kick return TDs (both punt and kickoff) there were in week 1 across ALL of D1 football??? ONE, only one even though all those other teams supposedly put so much more emphasis on special teams...

Aug 19, 2006

We do this every season but you're spot on. Ask the UT's - Texas and Tennessee - how fun it is to ride the coaching carousel. While you're at it check in with UH, Florida State, Louisville, Arkansas, etc. etc. Plenty of other examples.

I'm solidly on the Gundy bandwagon. Having said that, there are clearly things to fix with the running game.

Status
Not open for further replies.