Gundy job status

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 6, 2010
I'm not saying we need to fire Gundy, but where does this line of thinking get us?

Here's a better question: What would it take for you to say it's time to start looking elsewhere? Another 5-4 conference record? Worse than that? I think for many fans, there is no minimum threshold. And I think Gundy knows this. My biggest problem with all of this back and forth is that at the end of the day there is no incentive for Gundy to go all out every year or at least show progression in the program. He coaches as long as he wants to coach with as much or as little effort as he wants to put in. And that's not a great place for anybody.

*When I say 'you', I mean the collective you of OSU fans.
The only way I think we could make a move that wouldn't blow up in our faces is to have the type of transition ou did between Stoops and Riley. And for that to happen, we have to have 3 things.

1. Gundy buy in.
2. The coach we want already identified.
3. That coach's willingness to wait patiently a couple years.

That sounds like an awful lot to hope for and probably unrealistic. But let's just say that Gundy makes it known that he wants to coach until his son graduates, so then we have his buy in and a timeline. And just as an example, let's say we know we want to go for Graham Harrell. So you talk to him about maybe coming in as OC in year 3 to learn the ropes, and then take over in year 4? I know the head coach in waiting thing never seems to work out, but I also think most of those scenarios never have the prerequisites numbers 1 and 3 above.

Jul 5, 2020
Broken Arrow
I'll just say this about Gundy. I've enjoyed having him as our Head Coach and I'd like to keep him around. However, for a former successful college QB who is making that kind of money, and someone as offensive-minded as he is, it's just really disappointing to see that same person produce an offensive scheme that lacks innovation and creativity to this degree. Now before you remind me we have an OC who essentially does that, I'll also remind you it's the HC who hires that person, and before the HC hires that person he knows precisely what the offensive philosophy will be.

Jun 13, 2010
Chicago
So wait, if I'm on a five year bowl streak with a 4-1 bowl record over that time...additionally I have 2 of the programs historic 8 total 10 win seasons in that five years, I have to be worried?

So, yes, I agree we "ride out this season." LOL :facepalm:
So you really give him a pass on anything because he routinely wins the Bushes Baked Beans Bowl in North Dakota?

TheMonkey

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 16, 2004
DFW
So you really give him a pass on anything because he routinely wins the Bushes Baked Beans Bowl in North Dakota?
So you really fire him after the first game of the season, with no regard to the previous 15 years?

Two can play this straw man game. Oh wait, that IS what you want to do!

Jun 13, 2010
Chicago
Dude, our win percentage in the last decade is number 10…that’s timeless and all under Gundy. We will win 10 this year…and would have last year had we played the entire schedule…it’s one game in. We have no idea
It will be barely Top 25 here very soon... our "10 year window" is being heavily buoyed by the early years when Gundy had competent OC's.

Jun 13, 2010
Chicago
So you really fire him after the first game of the season, with no regard to the previous 15 years?

Two can play this straw man game. Oh wait, that IS what you want to do!
Look, pink slips aren't going out when the season has just begun, but you've gotta be blind to not see where this is going. If you think this is one game, you must have just been born because this is actually a continuation of an irreversible trend line.

At a minimum Gundy needs a LOT more pressure to fix this crap, and I'm just trying to do my best. I've also cut my alumni donations and notified the school that I will not contribute to any program, athletic or academic, until Gundy is replaced.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Look, pink slips aren't going out when the season has just begun, but you've gotta be blind to not see where this is going. If you think this is one game, you must have just been born because this is actually a continuation of an irreversible trend line.

At a minimum Gundy needs a LOT more pressure to fix this crap, and I'm just trying to do my best. I've also cut my alumni donations and notified the school that I will not contribute to any program, athletic or academic, until Gundy is replaced.
Really man...sounds like you need to go change your feminine hygiene products. Btw, I sincerely hope our other donating alumni aren't as silly and tied to football for their donations to our programs to help our kids.

Last edited:

jobob85

Drunkle
A/V Subscriber
Mar 11, 2009

Wow!! you have some seriously misplaced priorities.

Jostate

Identifies as a Cowboys fan
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005

A little knee jerk if you ask me. Last season we won 8 games. The 2 we weren't able to play we were favored by at least 3 touchdowns. Had we played those there's a good chance we would have had four 10 win seasons in the last 6. We're 1-0 this year and you're all torches and pitchforks.

Last edited:

stonewallpoke

Durable Brigade
A/V Subscriber
Nov 19, 2007
Al Asad Airbase, Iraq
A little knee jersey if you ask me. Last season we won 8 games. The 2 we weren't able to play we were favored by at least 3 touchdowns. Had we played those there's a good chance we would have had four 10 win seasons in the last 6. We're 1-0 this year and you're all torches and pitchforks.
That’s insulting to torches and/or pitchforks. Torches and pitchforks would’ve calmed down by now.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
but but but we would have been begging for that level of success 30 years ago, so lets shoot for slightly better than average...YEAH!!
So top 10 win percentage is only slightly better than average? Ninth in active bowl streak, average?

Last edited:

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
You are missing the point. Special teams in general are night and day different for ALL teams since we last had a coach dedicated to this. Wanna guess how many kick return TDs (both punt and kickoff) there were in week 1 across ALL of D1 football??? ONE, only one even though all those other teams supposedly put so much more emphasis on special teams...
How many teams failed to cover a deep onside kick against a lower division team in week 1? How many averaged less punt yards, less return yards and fewer touch backs than their lower division opponent?

If you want to focus solely on kick returns for TDs, then fine, the Texas game last year says hi. That one game is enough to make my point.

Jun 13, 2010
Chicago
Wow!! you have some seriously misplaced priorities.
The school needs to do itself some good in order to create a virtuous upward cycle with my gifts. I am not throwing good money after bad.

Take advantage of Boone's gift by fixing football, and the university's brand grows, interest grows, external partnerships grow, application volume goes up, test scores go up, school can pick however fast it wants to grow and shape its own destiny.

The pro-mediocrity contingent needs to see the big picture and wasted opportunity. Maybe they'll finally get it when we're in the Mountain West Conference with Baylor and Boise.

Nov 6, 2010

OK, so what is the "fix"? I agree his offensive philosophy seems stagnant by his own quotes about running the same plays we've run forever. But look around the country at the scores. By all accounts Matt Campbell at ISU is a hot commodity, but his team just put up 16 points against N. Iowa, and I believe he has all his offensive starters back. Football is like any other endeavor, most people follow the trends rather than set them. The key is finding the right innovator before anyone else, and then you have maybe a 3 year window to capitalize. Who is that innovator in college football right now?

jobob85

Drunkle
A/V Subscriber
Mar 11, 2009
The school needs to do itself some good in order to create a virtuous upward cycle with my gifts. I am not throwing good money after bad.

Take advantage of Boone's gift by fixing football, and the university's brand grows, interest grows, external partnerships grow, application volume goes up, test scores go up, school can pick however fast it wants to grow and shape its own destiny.

The pro-mediocrity contingent needs to see the big picture and wasted opportunity. Maybe they'll finally get it when we're in the Mountain West Conference with Baylor and Boise.
Tell me how withholding from academic donations because of athletics works?

osupsycho

MAXIMUM EFFORT!!!
A/V Subscriber
Apr 20, 2005
Valhalla
How many teams failed to cover a deep onside kick against a lower division team in week 1? How many averaged less punt yards, less return yards and fewer touch backs than their lower division opponent?

If you want to focus solely on kick returns for TDs, then fine, the Texas game last year says hi. That one game is enough to make my point.
Why would a full time coach change any of the things you listed? I saw a lot of teams that have full time special teams coaches doing those exact same things. Point is that the player safety rules have taken most of the opportunity out of special teams so it makes sense to put your coaching talent and effort into more productive areas.

TheMonkey

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 16, 2004
DFW
Define mediocrity, please. This is the straw man I keep referencing. No one is pro-mediocrity here. It’s the pro-delusions of grandeur contingent (you and Birry) that is the issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.