Gundy Succession Plan

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Nov 5, 2003
morgantown, wv
How about a brilliant offensive mind that has recruited two of our best QB's - Mike Yurcich. Some people have a bad taste about Mike but I think he would be a great head coach. Knows the university and helped develop the current offensive system. He too has been at some top college programs.

OrangeFan69

LA Face with an Okla. booty.
A/V Subscriber
Apr 24, 2010
Los Angeles 90046
instagram.com
Derek Mason is already on campus and has D1 coaching experience.

If he crushes it as DC, he would be my A1 option.

Gundy’s great and all but he ain’t going to be here forever, Personally I’d rather enjoy my retirement. He does seem to have his batteries recharged recently though.

Dec 21, 2008
You have to understand 8-10yrs away when he retires we won’t even be mentioning Monken, Yurcich, Mason etc. that’s a loooong ways away. Plus guys like JoeBob and Dunn may even retire by then and a whole new wave of coordinators could come through. Hard to predict. I do miss ZRob though

Nov 6, 2010
You have to understand 8-10yrs away when he retires we won’t even be mentioning Monken, Yurcich, Mason etc. that’s a loooong ways away. Plus guys like JoeBob and Dunn may even retire by then and a whole new wave of coordinators could come through. Hard to predict. I do miss ZRob though
Exactly, and I think the best candidates will be the ones brought up in this new era, not ones that have made their name in the old era.

Jostate

Identifies as a Cowboys fan
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
Derek Mason is already on campus and has D1 coaching experience.

If he crushes it as DC, he would be my A1 option.

Gundy’s great and all but he ain’t going to be here forever, Personally I’d rather enjoy my retirement. He does seem to have his batteries recharged recently though.
I think Gundy will go bonkers with retirement. He may think it sounds nice but it's not his nature.

OSU79

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 22, 2009
Back home in God's (Green) Country
Exactly, and I think the best candidates will be the ones brought up in this new era, not ones that have made their name in the old era.
JTFC I really need a sarcasm emoji to include with (most of) my posts.

Jul 5, 2020
Broken Arrow
I think Gundy will go bonkers with retirement. He may think it sounds nice but it's not his nature.
Gotta disagree with ya here. Gundy’s too much of an outdoor enthusiast to sit idly by wishing he was still coaching. Will he need some time to adjust? Absolutely, everyone does after that length of time in one field; however, he also loves the ranching type of life and the fishing/hunting that goes along with it. Plenty to keep him occupied.

Jan 14, 2006
Gotta disagree with ya here. Gundy’s too much of an outdoor enthusiast to sit idly by wishing he was still coaching. Will he need some time to adjust? Absolutely, everyone does after that length of time in one field; however, he also loves the ranching type of life and the fishing/hunting that goes along with it. Plenty to keep him occupied.
He'll also be able to name his price as an analyst if he wants to do it.

Aug 13, 2005
OKC
Weird… as last year or two years ago everyone including their mother wanted to fire Gundy. I have always been a Gundy supporter with my Orange Glasses on but posters on GoPokes had thread after thread wanting Gundy fired last summer.

Just wait Gundy will do something to get fired before reaching retirement age. For the life of me… why does Gundy have so many haters?

andylicious

Territorial Marshal
Nov 16, 2013
tractor
Weird… as last year or two years ago everyone including their mother wanted to fire Gundy. I have always been a Gundy supporter with my Orange Glasses on but posters on GoPokes had thread after thread wanting Gundy fired last summer.

Just wait Gundy will do something to get fired before reaching retirement age. For the life of me… why does Gundy have so many haters?
I don't know, if his boy comes in and does the job well we might see a new level of Gundy. We could also see a new level of bad Gundy if his boy isn't any good.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
Disagree. He runs one of the more chill D1 football programs already in terms of hours coaching. I think he enjoys the time away from work already, think he'll do just fine after retiring. The Gundy Ranch alone will keep him pretty occupied, and he'll probably have grandkids at that point.

Jostate

A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
Disagree. He runs one of the more chill D1 football programs already in terms of hours coaching. I think he enjoys the time away from work already, think he'll do just fine after retiring. The Gundy Ranch alone will keep him pretty occupied, and he'll probably have grandkids at that point.
Maybe, but I think he secretly likes camera's pointed at him more than he let's on.

Jostate

A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005

Because he's a head coach who, somehow, hasn't won every single game he's coached.

All that aside, to me, some of antics are cute, some not so much.

gundysburner

Territorial Marshal
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
In 10 years I'll be curious to see what the head coaching ranks look like in college. Unless there's significant change to NIL and transfers (NCAA just recommended eliminating the one time transfer rule, which'll make it even worse), I think you're going to see the ranks get younger and younger as more and more of the old guard just don't want to deal with all of the elements away from the field.

It's not really a longshot, but I'd bet a Hideaway large pie and a side of shrooms that OSU's next coach hasn't been mentioned in this thread.