Has anyone considered…Big 12 tiebreakers

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
There could be a 4-way tie for 1st in the B12?

ISU and BU win out.
OSU beats TCU and TTech
OU beats OSU

4-way tie OSU, OU, ISU and BU all finish 7-2.

ISU and BU play the CCG. Yuk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

marvin7

Wrangler
Dec 12, 2020
OKC

ISU and BU win out.
OSU beats TCU and TTech
OU beats OSU

Technically, I brought up the scenario, but I didn't really analyze how the tiebreaker would work. I think you're right, though.

Basically, unless we beat OU, we'll need OU to beat ISU. If ISU wins instead, either a 3-way tie* for #2 will result (ISU, OSU, Baylor, all of which will have 1 loss against each other), which ISU will win after Baylor is eliminated by point differential, or a 4 way tie will result, in which ISU and Baylor would get in since they'd each have only 1 loss against the tied teams, while OSU and OU would have 2. Both scenarios are bad for us.

*If Baylor loses to OU but ISU doesn't, change this to 2-way tie. The result is still the same for us, though, since head-to-head always decides 2-way ties.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO

ISU and BU win out.
OSU beats TCU and TTech
OU beats OSU

Technically, I brought up the scenario, but I didn't really analyze how the tiebreaker would work. I think you're right, though.

Basically, unless we beat OU, we'll need OU to beat ISU. If ISU wins instead, either a 3-way tie for #2 will result (ISU, OSU, Baylor, all of which will have 1 loss against each other), which ISU will win after Baylor is eliminated by point differential, or a 4 way tie will result, in which ISU and Baylor would get in since they'd each have only 1 loss against the tied teams, while OSU and OU would have 2. Both scenarios are bad for us.
Don’t think there can be a 3-way tie for second between OSU, BU and ISU all 7-2. If OSU, BU and ISU are all 7-2 OU will also be 7-2 or 6-3. If OU is 6-3, it will depend on who our second loss is vs BUs loss to TCU and ISUs loss to WVU.

marvin7

Wrangler
Dec 12, 2020
OKC
Don’t think there can be a 3-way tie for second between OSU, BU and ISU all 7-2. If OSU, BU and ISU are all 7-2 OU will also be 7-2 or 6-3. If OU is 6-3, it will depend on who our second loss is vs BUs loss to TCU and ISUs loss to WVU.
Good point. You're right...Baylor and ISU finishing with 2 losses guarantees that OU has at least 2 losses as well.

OU is in a tougher spot than its fans may realize, playing against the three best teams in the conference to end the season. In fact, OU can only afford to lose 1 of their next 3 games, or they're out, regardless of who the losses occur against. The only OU 2-losses scenario that's bad for OSU is the 4-way tie thing we've been talking about. This all assumes none of the conference top 4 teams lose to a team they have no business losing to.

But for the OU finishing 6-3 scenario (3-way tie for 1st place), the result of any tiebreaker between just ISU, OSU, and Baylor was set in stone two weeks ago when we lost to ISU. A 3-way tie for first place would leave Baylor out due to point differential since all three teams would have the same record against each other. But that's all pretty unlikely...OU losing out, including to us, and yet we still get a second loss from either TCU or TT that we have no business losing to.

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2011
Carlos, TX
I don't think non-conference games ever affect conference standings or the championship game participants.
What's sad is the non-con games are not considered for the Big 12 championship, but they will for the NC playoff spots. BU or ISU could be the Big 12 champ with 3 losses, and neither would be in the running for one of the 4 playoff spots. I would doubt either would make it with 2 losses. And frankly same for us.

Sep 9, 2013
Oklahoma State isnt losing again, at least not until you get to the CFP.
WVU's defense isnt good, but the Cowboy defense is elite.

OU wont beat you this year, not in Stillwater.

You should hope you dont see ISU again, because they actually have an offense that can move the ball on you with Purdy, Koler, and Haskins.

RPG

Deputy
A/V Subscriber
Sep 28, 2017
Edmond, OK
Oklahoma State isnt losing again, at least not until you get to the CFP.
WVU's defense isnt good, but the Cowboy defense is elite.

OU wont beat you this year, not in Stillwater.

You should hope you dont see ISU again, because they actually have an offense that can move the ball on you with Purdy, Koler, and Haskins.
On a neutral field, we would beat Iowa State 7 out of 10 times. You must not have watched the game.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
Good point. You're right...Baylor and ISU finishing with 2 losses guarantees that OU has at least 2 losses as well.

OU is in a tougher spot than its fans may realize, playing against the three best teams in the conference to end the season. In fact, OU can only afford to lose 1 of their next 3 games, or they're out, regardless of who the losses occur against. The only OU 2-losses scenario that's bad for OSU is the 4-way tie thing we've been talking about. This all assumes none of the conference top 4 teams lose to a team they have no business losing to.

But for the OU finishing 6-3 scenario (3-way tie for 1st place), the result of any tiebreaker between just ISU, OSU, and Baylor was set in stone two weeks ago when we lost to ISU. A 3-way tie for first place would leave Baylor out due to point differential since all three teams would have the same record against each other. But that's all pretty unlikely...OU losing out, including to us, and yet we still get a second loss from either TCU or TT that we have no business losing to.
If there’s a 3-way tie for first at 7-2 with OSU, BU, and ISU, the tiebreaker will go to the record against the 4th place team, then 5th, etc. until one of the 3 is eliminated. Then the 2 remaining teams go to CCG. Since our 2nd loss would be to TCU or TT, we’ll want TT or TCU to finish behind WVU (ISUs loss) or TCU (BUs loss). Since TT, WVU and TCU are all 2-4 now, it’s too hard to figure the probable outcome.

Oct 7, 2012

ISU and BU win out.
OSU beats TCU and TTech
OU beats OSU

Dam u , Gumby!

I was sitting here drinking coffee, reading the message board, basking in the afterglow of one the most dominate Poke defense games I’ve seen in my 60 years of bleeding Orange...........

And WHAM! You painted the playoff scenario. And whether we will admit it out loud, and despite all the “we win out” talk, most of us got the Bedlam Spectre lurking in the dark orange recesses of our cranium. And every now and then until then, we’ll get a whiff of the stink of Bedlam Record and “it’s just another game” bs. And we will throw up just a little in our mouth thinking about it. Oh, the humanity.......

Press On

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO

ISU and BU win out.
OSU beats TCU and TTech
OU beats OSU

Dam u , Gumby!

I was sitting here drinking coffee, reading the message board, basking in the afterglow of one the most dominate Poke defense games I’ve seen in my 60 years of bleeding Orange...........

And WHAM! You painted the playoff scenario. And whether we will admit it out loud, and despite all the “we win out” talk, most of us got the Bedlam Spectre lurking in the dark orange recesses of our cranium. And every now and then until then, we’ll get a whiff of the stink of Bedlam Record and “it’s just another game” bs. And we will throw up just a little in our mouth thinking about it. Oh, the humanity.......

Press On
Kinda depressing, huh?
I’d sure feel better about bedlam if OU will just go ahead and beat ISU thus taking the pressure off of having to beat OU just to get to the CCG.

Oct 7, 2012
Kinda depressing, huh?
I’d sure feel better about bedlam if OU will just go ahead and beat ISU thus taking the pressure off of having to beat OU just to get to the CCG.

Very depressing. And I’m REALLY conflicted about hoping OU beats ISU.
Living in OK, I REALLY enjoy the antics of OU fan base after a loss!

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
Kinda depressing, huh?

Very depressing. And I’m REALLY conflicted about hoping OU beats ISU.
Living in OK, I REALLY enjoy the antics of OU fan base after a loss!
No doubt!

Up to this point I’ve refused to even consider the heretofore very remote possibility of making the CFP. But now that there’s at least a definable (even if it’s unlikely) path to the CFP, I’m now secretly hoping for other B12 results that would bolster our resume. OSU winning out and OU winning all but 2 OSU games seems like the best path. But as you said, rooting for OU against BU and ISU is tough.

Oct 29, 2004
Edmond, OK
At this point, there is a direct line of sight to the CFP for the Pokes with 4 games to play…including the conference championship game. However, I think it is a given that we need to win out and OU needs to win up to Bedlam. Then we would obviously have to win Bedlam and then the conference championship game against OU…again.

Even then, if you factor in the corrupt NCAA selection committee and their “fluid” selection criteria, they could very well change the narrative to “since OSU beat OU twice in the same year, it has to be a down year in the Big 12. Hope not…but we’ve seen this script before.

Anyway, first things first….WIN OUT!!! GO POKES!!!

Jan 14, 2006
We just need OU to beat Iowa State....

If that happens, OSU is in against somebody...
While I like the idea of avenging our only loss, this is probably the best situation for us. I'd prefer to have a spot in the title game locked up before Bedlam.