Has anyone considered…Big 12 tiebreakers

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
I keep saying this guys...

As long as OU beats Iowa State and OSU beats Tech, the tiebreakers don't matter. If those two things happen (highly probable) OSU plays in the CCG.
Correct, people are loosing sight that if OU beats ISU and us we do not have a three way tie. If OU beats ISU and we beat TT the worse case scenario is we fall in a two way between us and Baylor.

As bad as it will hurt we need to pull for OU Saturday.
I would love to see OU barely squeak out a win, and maybe give them some false hope that they might actually be able to beat us the next week and then us just curb stomp them.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

UrbanCowboy1

Some cowboys gots smarts real good like me.
Aug 8, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
Correct, people are loosing sight that if OU beats ISU and us we do not have a three way tie. If OU beats ISU and we beat TT the worse case scenario is we fall in a two way between us and Baylor.

As bad as it will hurt we need to pull for OU Saturday.
You mean a two-way for the second spot in the CCG? Because if OU beats ISU, then the worst case scenario is us losing to OU. Which puts them in first with only one loss. Just want to make sure I understand.

OkstateKerr

Territorial Marshal
Jan 13, 2005
You mean a two-way for the second spot in the CCG? Because if OU beats ISU, then the worst case scenario is us losing to OU. Which puts them in first with only one loss. Just want to make sure I understand.
Yes if We beat TT and OU beats ISU we are locked into the Championship game.

trippin629

Territorial Marshal
Aug 26, 2009
Tulsa
Bedlam has the prime time spot on ABC
Lost a game in Ames, Night game in Bedlam. Now we just need to play Standford in the Fiesta bowl. Oh and also potentially being the first runner up to the championship game.
In this case, #5 in the final CFP rankings, which if we win out feels entirely possible. The similarities are eerie.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Oct 16, 2003
Edmond, OK
If we beat Tx Tech, we can have no worse than 2 losses. That means:

* A Bedlam win and we are the only 1-loss team. A 2-loss OU loses the tie-breaker with Baylor. CCG is OSU vs Baylor.

* A Bedlam loss drops us to a tie with Baylor. We win that. CCG is Bedlam #2.

So as long as we win in Lubbock, we’re playing in the CCG…. Kinda makes the game Saturday a big game…

CPTNQUIRK

I'm Your Captain!
A/V Subscriber
Nov 20, 2006
In the Boondocks in Creek County, Oklahoma

* A Bedlam win and we are the only 1-loss team. A 2-loss OU loses the tie-breaker with Baylor. CCG is OSU vs Baylor.

So as long as we win in Lubbock, we’re playing in the CCG…. Kinda makes the game Saturday a big game…
If we win at Tech but lose Bedlam and OU loses to ISU and Baylor wins out then there would be a 3 way tie at 7-2 between OSU, OU and Baylor. The tiebreakers dictate comparing the records of the three schools to each other. That would be equal under my scenario. Then it looks at games against the rest of the conference from top to bottom, one team at a time. That team would be ISU. Baylor beat ISU and OSU and OU lost to ISU in my scenario. So Baylor would advance to the CCG. Then the heads up between OSU and OU comes into play. If we lose bedlam then we would be out and OU would advance to the CCG against Baylor.

We need Baylor to lose at least one more game or OU to beat ISU or we need to win out.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2007
Tulsa
If we win at Tech but lose Bedlam and OU loses to ISU and Baylor wins out then there would be a 3 way tie at 7-2 between OSU, OU and Baylor. The tiebreakers dictate comparing the records of the three schools to each other. That would be equal under my scenario. Then it looks at games against the rest of the conference from top to bottom, one team at a time. That team would be ISU. Baylor beat ISU and OSU and OU lost to ISU in my scenario. So Baylor would advance to the CCG. Then the heads up between OSU and OU comes into play. If we lose bedlam then we would be out and OU would advance to the CCG against Baylor.

We need Baylor to lose at least one more game or OU to beat ISU or we need to win out.
Correct. I’m predicting both to happen!

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
I say go KSU. The committee has already implied that they don't consider Baylor a quality win (those can only happen in the SEC and big 10). So might as well remove all doubt this weekend, plus, I would really like to see ou lose this weekend.

Nov 27, 2007
Tulsa
So Saturday we want OSU and OU to win. That puts us in the CCG.

Go Sooners!
At this point the BEST thing that can happen for us is:

We win out.
OU Beats ISU, Loses to OSU.
Baylor wins out until CCG.

With the cluster of Big10 teams playing the next couple weeks. OSU, OU, and BU will creep up the rankings.

Baring any other upsets OU OSU would likely be an 8-11ish matchup. Then the CCG against BU would be a 6-9ish matchup. That would give us 2 top 10ish victories in the last 2 weeks and 5 T25 on the year. That’s a tough resume to push out.

However, that resume is not good enough to push out 1-Loss Georgia, Alabama, Ohio St, or Oregon. We would need some outside help. If that help comes, I think we’re in regardless of what happens to OU.

So IMHO,
We don’t NEED OU to win to make the CCG!
We don’t NEED OU to win to make CFP!
If we don’t get outside help we’re out of CFP!
If we do get outside help we’re in the CFP!

If OU wins tomorrow it will make getting to the CCG “easier” on paper as it will lock us in assuming we beat TT. But unless we NEED anything out of OU… I will NEVER root for them.

An ISU victory tomorrow would also keep BU in the running if they are upset in Manhattan. I would love to see OU and UT not make the Big12 CCG ever again. Poetic.

Go Clones!

Oct 16, 2003
Edmond, OK
OU is still a blue blood in the eyes of the Committee. I think they winning against ISU helps us from a credibility perspective for Bedlam.

I think we want:
*OSU to win out
*OU to beat Iowa State
*Baylor to win their last two games.

That gives us a chance to record 2 more wins (Bedlam, CCG) over Top-10ish opponents which I think gives us the best resume to make the Play-offs. Let the Big-10 beat up on each other and get a little help from Utah over Oregon and I think that puts us in the Final 4.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011

ANOTHER big game.. pretty much every game has been important. You have to win them all or all but one to be in contention for most end of year goals.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Nov 27, 2007
Tulsa
OU is still a blue blood in the eyes of the Committee. I think they winning against ISU helps us from a credibility perspective for Bedlam.

I think we want:
*OSU to win out
*OU to beat Iowa State
*Baylor to win their last two games.

That gives us a chance to record 2 more wins (Bedlam, CCG) over Top-10ish opponents which I think gives us the best resume to make the Play-offs. Let the Big-10 beat up on each other and get a little help from Utah over Oregon and I think that puts us in the Final 4.
I do agree with this… However…

If we do NOT get help from Utah, Georgia, or the Big10. You would agree that we’re not in, right? I just don’t see which of those teams we could push out.

If we DO get help from the outside. Who would push us out if OU continues to tumble? Does Cinci push us out? I don’t see that happening, do you?

Oct 16, 2003
Edmond, OK
I still say a 1-loss Big-12 Champ has a shot...

I think the Committee in the last two rankings has said:
* The winner of Georgia/Alabama is the best team in football this year. That team will be #1.
* A 1-loss Georgia is likely still a 2-seed. Perhaps even a 2-loss Alabama is in the mix (but I doubt that).
* A 1-loss Oregon (by virtue of their head-to-head over Oregon) is #3 right now.
* A 1-loss Big-10 Champ (among Ohio St/Mich/Mich St) will be in at #4 for now.

I think the only thing keeping Oregon in the mix right now is they have 1-loss. If they pick up a 2nd loss, they are out. If that happens, the next spot comes down to Cincinnati, Big-12 Champ, or Notre Dame. I think Notre Dame is out based on their head-to-head loss to Cincinnati.

It is not impossible yet for the Big-10 to NOT have a 1-loss Champ. I think that could take the Big-10 out and open a slot (but I think this is remote).

I think a 1-loss Big-12 Champ likely gets in ahead of Cincinnati or a 2-loss Pac-12 Champ. So yes, I think we could for sure benefit from an Oregon loss.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2007
I still say a 1-loss Big-12 Champ has a shot...

I think the Committee in the last two rankings has said:
* The winner of Georgia/Alabama is the best team in football this year. That team will be #1.
* A 1-loss Georgia is likely still a 2-seed. Perhaps even a 2-loss Alabama is in the mix (but I doubt that).
* A 1-loss Oregon (by virtue of their head-to-head over Oregon) is #3 right now.
* A 1-loss Big-10 Champ (among Ohio St/Mich/Mich St) will be in at #4 for now.

I think the only thing keeping Oregon in the mix right now is they have 1-loss. If they pick up a 2nd loss, they are out. If that happens, the next spot comes down to Cincinnati, Big-12 Champ, or Notre Dame. I think Notre Dame is out based on their head-to-head loss to Cincinnati.

It is not impossible yet for the Big-10 to NOT have a 1-loss Champ. I think that could take the Big-10 out and open a slot (but I think this is remote).

I think a 1-loss Big-12 Champ likely gets in ahead of Cincinnati or a 2-loss Pac-12 Champ. So yes, I think we could for sure benefit from an Oregon loss.
yes, I agree. Georgia and Bama are locks, one loss, two losses does not matter they are both in regardless.

Oregon is a lock if they win out.

The big10 champ is a lock. Probably ohio state but regardless, big10 champ is in.

So, the only opportunity is if Oregon loses, otherwise the CFP is set and has been set for some time. The only Big12 team that has any chance of jumping a one loss Oregon is OU and I think that is slim to none.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk