How’s everyone feeling about Baylor.

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Feb 15, 2017
Texas
I think if Dunn can get this dude involved in some short routes over the middle, it will really allow SS to pick apart the Baylor defense.
https://twitter.com/gif_tannen/status/1466475307259543558?s=21
Wasn't the "turf monster" that got Bray, it was the left shoe of the Tech player who lost it on the field and Bray tripped over it.

jnewtont

Territorial Marshal
Oct 18, 2010
Tallahassee, FL
Bohanon had a severe pull of his hamstring. If he plays, they have no chance.
Shapen will be making his 2nd career start. 3rd career meaningful appearance. He'll be facing a defense that reportedly several opposing coordinators have admitted that their QBs were totally confused and lost.

We're in good shape.
To avoid confusion they will run, run, and run some more.

Dec 2, 2008
SC
No, but he wasn't going to get there and he should have bailed. He's 5 yards away when the ball is leaving the punter's foot. Playcall was stupid, and I said as much in the game thread.
The play call may have been stupid, but the player did exactly what he was told. Your fix is to not involve him in the game plan for Baylor because he made a mistake and didn’t bail? Is your fix the same for Presley?

Jun 4, 2014
Dallas, TX
The play call may have been stupid, but the player did exactly what he was told. Your fix is to not involve him in the game plan for Baylor because he made a mistake and didn’t bail? Is your fix the same for Presley?
Never said to take him out of the game plan. Just said he had a bonehead play that could have been avoided by recognizing the situation. He's also not a part of our core offense, so any production we get from him I'd consider a bonus. You guys took my comment to the extreme.

OSU79

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 22, 2009
Back home in God's (Green) Country
I think JPR wasn't necessarily going for the block, but was surprised to go through the up-backs so cleanly that he hit the punter by mistake. Given that no other rusher even hit the up-backs (hit them hard, anyway) I don't feel it was a coach-called punt block attempt. So I think it WAS a player mistake, but I wouldn't change my offensive rotation based on a special teams mistake. The same for Pressley - trying to field a punt while retreating inside the 5 is not smart, but I wouldn't take him off any offensive snaps for it. Hell, I even agree with leaving him in to return punts, because I think he's our best and most sure-handed option.

Dec 2, 2008
SC
Never said to take him out of the game plan. Just said he had a bonehead play that could have been avoided by recognizing the situation. He's also not a part of our core offense, so any production we get from him I'd consider a bonus. You guys took my comment to the extreme.
He has been very involved in the offense the last 4 games. Opening things up for Tay and Presley.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
He also barely touched the side of the punter's foot and the punter flailed wildly to draw the flag. It's probably debatable if he even touched the plant leg at all.

The biggest mistake was calling for the punt block in the first place.

Nov 6, 2010
Isn't it nice that we're arguing about whether a true freshman made a special teams mistake that didn't cost us a win against ou? I'll take it!

Nov 30, 2010
Tulsa, OK
I have a strange feeling of confidence going into this game. They say it’s really difficult to beat the same team twice in a year.
I truly believe that in most years, maybe because it is usually OU being projected to play in the conference championship. But going back over the stats, the Pokes had 3 turnovers in the first game against Baylor, and still won. I am pretty confident that we win a close but good game.

Oct 7, 2012
I feel extremely confident. The whole “it’s tough to beat a team twice” belief is laughable and statistically proven to be wrong. We’ve got a lot better since the first game, and they have some serious question marks. I’m feeling Pokes win 31-7.
Cimarron provided some pretty compelling statistics that it’s anout a 50/50 shot to beat a team twice. Did you see that post? #101 in this thread

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2012
Fort Worth
Cimarron provided some pretty compelling statistics that it’s anout a 50/50 shot to beat a team twice. Did you see that post? #101 in this thread
I don't buy into the "tough to beat a team twice".

It's tough to beat a good team. It was tough to beat Baylor the first time, it will be tough this time. It was a tough game for Baylor the first time, and it will be a tough game this time.

I feel like if you say "it's tough to beat a team twice", you're saying it's less tough for Baylor on Saturday. I don't buy that at all. It will be a tough win for them, if they get it

Cimarron

It's not dying I'm talking about, it's living.
Jun 28, 2007
I would expect Jeff Grimes to have his offense come out trying to throw the ball downfield just like OU did. Our secondary has been the weak spot all season and Iowa State and OU were somewhat able to take advantage of that. We better hope the officials let the receivers and corner backs “play” rather than throw a flag for any sort of contact.
We rank 11th nationally in pass defense (yards allowed). And 5th nationally in pass TDs allowed (9).

We rank 5th nationally in rush defense (yards allowed). And 10th nationally in rushing TDs allowed (9).

It's true that OU and ISU were able to score passing against OSU, accounting for 5 of those 9 passing TDs allowed on the season. But that only leaves 4 passing TDs allowed in the other 10 games!!!! I don't think that's been a weak spot this season?

Last edited:

Cimarron

Jun 28, 2007
I feel extremely confident. The whole “it’s tough to beat a team twice” belief is laughable and statistically proven to be wrong. We’ve got a lot better since the first game, and they have some serious question marks. I’m feeling Pokes win 31-7.
Can you provide those statistics?

Dec 2, 2008
SC
We rank 11th nationally in pass defense (yards allowed). And 5th nationally in pass TDs allowed (9).

We rank 5th nationally in rush defense (yards allowed). And 10th nationally in rushing TDs allowed (9).

It's true that OU and ISU were able to score passing against OSU, accounting for 5 of those 9 passing TDs allowed on the season. But that only leaves 4 passing TDs allowed in the other 10 games!!!! I don't think that's been a weak spot this season?
That’s because our front was able to get ridiculous pressure on MOST teams. Boise St. game is where our secondary started to be exposed. OU did exactly what they should, throw the ball down field. For most of the season our secondary has been protected because most offensive lines haven’t been able to protect their QB like Iowa St. and OU. With that being said, I never said our secondary is ridiculously weak. I just said it’s the weakest position on the defense.

Cimarron

Jun 28, 2007
That’s because our front was able to get ridiculous pressure on MOST teams. Boise St. game is where our secondary started to be exposed. OU did exactly what they should, throw the ball down field. For most of the season our secondary has been protected because most offensive lines haven’t been able to protect their QB like Iowa St. and OU. With that being said, I never said our secondary is ridiculously weak. I just said it’s the weakest position on the defense.
Perhaps, but it could be as well that the secondary is able to cover enough giving the defensive line time to make those sacks? Honestly, I don't know the answer to that as would have to look at how long the QB is in the pocket before either making a pass or getting sacked.