How do we fix the bowls?

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
Enormous? C’mon. The risk isn’t enormous. The risk is very, very low. Like the risk you take every time you get in a car- very, very low it will result in a life altering outcome. But that outcome could be catastrophic.

Presently, the number of players foregoing the last game or two of their regular season very is small. Making the bowls more like part of the regular season should help, especially for the teams that have a chance at the CFP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You're in complete denial here, good lord.

Duke Silver

Find safe haven in a warm bathtub full of my jazz.
A/V Subscriber
Sep 17, 2004
Cozy's Bar
Orlando...Camping World Stadium host Cheez It, Citus and Cure
New Orleans...New Orleans and Sugar both at Mercedes Benz
DFW hosts multiple but different stadiums
Atlanta...Celebration and Peach at Mercedes Benz
Phoenix as well.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
Yeah, that's why players are opting out, because the risks are low.
There were 25 bowls this year with roughly 2500 participants.

How many career-altering injuries were there?
I have no idea, but lets say 5. That would be 0.2% or 1 out of 500. So don't make it a bigger risk than it is.

On the other hand if you opt out, there are NFL guys that downgrade you.

Aug 16, 2012
yep. Surprising that one escaped the discussion seeing as how many on here talk about their best bowl experience was when we were in Phoenix for the Insight the same weekend the other Oklahoma team was there for the Fiesta Bowl.

And believe it or not, Montgomery, Alabama has two. The Montgomery Bowl and the Camellia Bowl.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
The bowls are made for tv exhibitions. They're quantifiable ratings generators for the entity that owns them.

There IS risk in playing in them, which is why an increasing number of players are opting out of them, each year. The opting out has now moved into the regular season more & more, each year.

Players are aware that in alot of instances, they've put enough on tape already for NFL guys to have a feel for them & they know their draft status. At a certain point, the risk/reward component comes into play & guys don't want or need to play for free anymore.

So no, ESPN's not going to suddenly want to scramble for programming on a tuesday night in December when they already have a ratings winner in place.

No, kids aren't suddenly going to start caring more & risking more to play in bowl games they know are exhibitions.

Aug 16, 2012
The risk is definitely there but it has always been there. The way kids opt out now, would not surprise me to see basketball players to start opting out of March Madness due to fear of blowing a knee or top-notch pitchers opting out of the baseball playoffs/Omaha so they do not blow out their elbow. There is always risk so you have to make the reward worth something significant and I think having the title of a true champion determined by bracket play is a a chip in the reward column.

The bowl season now spans four weekends now.

Could try.....

Weekend 1
Teams currently ranked #9 to #16 play the teams ranked #17 to #24 in eight seeded games.
Make these at sites of lower-tier bowl games such as Cure, New Mexico, Music City, etc. Which one is irrelevant right now but the opportunity to host a game with ranked teams has to be a draw for the organizers as it will bring in more money from all sources.

Teams ranked #1 to #8 get a bye. This would be P5 conference champions and 3 at-large. Pretty much any team that on paper, could be considered a potential champion caliber team. Just like in the B12 basketball and baseball, the top teams deserve a reward for the regular season.

Weekend 2
16 teams left.
Teams #1 to #8 play the winners of the Play-in round.
Play in eight different bowl games such as Cheez-It, Alamo, Gator, etc. Same benefits of ranked teams.

Weekend 3
Quarterfinal

Weekend 4
Semifinal

Weekend 5
Final

Rotate these seven games between the Rose, Sugar, Cotton, Orange, Fiesta, Peach and Citrus, or whomever fronts the most money, has tradition, and will put on a good show.

Only one more weekend than currently played now.

Yes, it would be possible for a team to play four more games (than just one for the bowl they would play now), but if seeding holds up, it would only be 2-3 more and that is only if they go all the way.

Can also modify to reduce the number of byes, but this way it gives the mid-ranked teams to validate they belong there and the lower ranked the opportunity to prove they should have been ranked higher. Reducing the byes would also reduce the number of involved teams from the back end of the rankings.

Scenario engages 23 different bowl sites which is subjective, but a pretty good number IMO.

Money would flow so much more than it is now. Lower tier bowls would get teams they only dream about.

Does not address the risk issue but if a kid thinks he is going to hurt his draft stock, not much you can do about it.

As for teams 25-130. Let the rest of the chump change bowls pick up those teams if they want.

But it is all irrelevant because nothing will ever change. Too many players (not football players) involved, every one wanting a bigger piece of the pie or will feel slighted, many will want to keep .500 teams in bowl games, arguments will be made about missing school, the list is endless.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
The bowls are made for tv exhibitions. They're quantifiable ratings generators for the entity that owns them.

There IS risk in playing in them, which is why an increasing number of players are opting out of them, each year. The opting out has now moved into the regular season more & more, each year.

Players are aware that in alot of instances, they've put enough on tape already for NFL guys to have a feel for them & they know their draft status. At a certain point, the risk/reward component comes into play & guys don't want or need to play for free anymore.

So no, ESPN's not going to suddenly want to scramble for programming on a tuesday night in December when they already have a ratings winner in place.

No, kids aren't suddenly going to start caring more & risking more to play in bowl games they know are exhibitions.
Well, since you’re angling toward extremes,

Every game is an exhibition for entertainment purposes, even championship games. So let’s just do away with everything that’s not putting real dollars in the pockets of the participants. Besides, nobody really likes to play, it’s all just a money grab.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO

Well, since you’re angling toward extremes,

Every game is an exhibition for entertainment purposes, even championship games. So let’s just do away with everything that’s not putting real dollars in the pockets of the participants. Besides, nobody really likes to play, it’s all just a money grab.

Sorry that the reality of right now is a problem for your narrative.

You can’t even come up with anything that says I’m wrong here, so you just lazily call it ‘extreme.’

California Cowboy is smiling somewhere. You’ve made him proud with this one

Nov 21, 2018
Amelia Island, FL
Pay the players to play in the bowl games. If a player opts out because he’s protecting his future income stream in the NFL, then reward the others who stay and play. Lots of details to think through here, so it’s more about the concept.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
There were 25 bowls this year with roughly 2500 participants.

How many career-altering injuries were there?
I have no idea, but lets say 5. That would be 0.2% or 1 out of 500. So don't make it a bigger risk than it is.

On the other hand if you opt out, there are NFL guys that downgrade you.
You clearly don't understand the concept of "risk". "Risk" includes not only the frequency of the event (i.e. incidence) but the opportunity lost in case of the event (i.e. cost). There is no benefit to playing in a minor bowl. You are either playing an inferior team or you are the inferior team. OTOH, you risk a career-ending injury. Nil benefit, enormous risk.

"NFL guys bedowngrade you" for not playing in the No One Cares But Their Mamas Bowl? Your evidence of this is what, exactly? Let's say Trevor Lawrence had had to sit out the last couple of games because of COViD-19, Clemson had fallen out of the CFP, and Lawrence decided to opt-out of the bowl game. Do you really believe he would not still be the #1 player taken in the draft? Don't be stupid.

Jadeveon Clowney started this. Nothing is going to stop it.

Jul 9, 2011
Carlos, TX
A lot of the bowls (at least half?) need to be flushed. There are so many it has watered down what was recognition of teams for a good season. We would have just the right number of bowls when three or four teams are complaining they weren't picked for one.

It would be difficult to dramatically expand the playoffs without cutting at least a game out of the regular season, and I don't see that happening.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2007
Tulsa
Not arguing either side but one of the key reasons that players opt-out aside form avoiding injury or getting 100% before workouts is getting in “combine shape.” Which is completely different than playing shape. If you opt out that’s an extra 6-7 weeks of working with a strength and conditioning coach to work the technical aspects of mastering the drills. Making all the tweaks to put your best results possible. It could be the difference in a 4.4 and a 4.3 which would be huge.

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
Sammamish, Washington.Dallas, Texas.Maui, Hawaii
Pay the players to play in the bowl games. If a player opts out because he’s protecting his future income stream in the NFL, then reward the others who stay and play. Lots of details to think through here, so it’s more about the concept.

I liked my idea of only 2nd and 3rd strings playing but this idea has some merit.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
You clearly don't understand the concept of "risk". "Risk" includes not only the frequency of the event (i.e. incidence) but the opportunity lost in case of the event (i.e. cost). There is no benefit to playing in a minor bowl. You are either playing an inferior team or you are the inferior team. OTOH, you risk a career-ending injury. Nil benefit, enormous risk.

"NFL guys bedowngrade you" for not playing in the No One Cares But Their Mamas Bowl? Your evidence of this is what, exactly? Let's say Trevor Lawrence had had to sit out the last couple of games because of COViD-19, Clemson had fallen out of the CFP, and Lawrence decided to opt-out of the bowl game. Do you really believe he would not still be the #1 player taken in the draft? Don't be stupid.

Jadeveon Clowney started this. Nothing is going to stop it.
& Christian McCaffrey & Leonard Fournette & Nick Bosa & more & more later round picks