If Football Is Cancelled

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Nov 6, 2010
Semantics.

If you don't want the elevated risk of CTE, ACL or Covid-19, DONT PLAY... If you don't want to give someone a concussion or spread a virus, DON'T PLAY.

Your "medical scientific fact" of R=whatever bullshit is irrelevant in this argument. if you are willing to accept an increased risk of catching the virus, it should be your choice. The other players you may be putting at risk have the same option to opt-out as you did.

For what its worth, who are you to decide what is necessary and what is not necessary? There are a considerable number of student athletes that come from below the poverty line. Players that might not have adequate nutrition if not for the school. Loyola has already closed student housing, others to follow. Players use the season to showcase to NFL teams they are worthy of being drafted, to support their family and help get them out of their situation. Are protests necessary? Are elections necessary?
While I think you're argument is ridiculous, I've come to the conclusion that it doesn't matter at this point. We are simply unwilling to do what is necessary to contain this, if it can even be contained at this point. We had a chance in March, and half-assed it, and now IMO we have no realistic chance of stopping it or slowing it down. So might as well plow ahead and reap the consequences, whatever they're going to be. I read somewhere the other day that when all the major event cancellations started we were getting about 400-500 positive tests per day. Now we're getting tens of thousands of positive tests a day and we're sending kids back to school. If that doesn't tell us the horse is out of the barn, I don't know what will.

250,000 drunken bikers are descending on Sturgis this week, and I"m pretty sure they are not going to follow CDC guidelines. So they're all going to hop back on their scooters when they sober up and spread out all across America and take COVID-19 with them wherever they go. There is no more chance of containment, it is now in the hands of the drug companies.

Mar 11, 2006
@Chunks
America: Land of the Free, Home of the Brave

@RxCowboy
America: Land of the Scared, Home of the Weak.

:)
I simply don’t understand the “need to live in an isolated tent” group and only leave home from groceries and come right back. I am so thankful no one in my close family or friends feel that way. There is so much to life and there are risks everywhere you go. And some activities have a much higher risks than others.
I love to scuba dive and it has risks.
My good friend loves to rock climb and it has risks.
People BASE jump and love it and it has risks.
Playing football has injury risks and yet millions still love to play.

I am going to flip the script to basketball. If Oklahoma HS basketball was cancelled it would do nothing to lower exposure. Players are going to play. Instead of having controlled practices with their same teammates, they are going to go play pickup games. The exposure for many may well increase.

College Football players, if season is canceled, will go to parties, bars, workout in public gyms instead of being in a controlled practice with their teammates every day. The exposure for many may well increase.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
@Chunks
America: Land of the Free, Home of the Brave

@RxCowboy
America: Land of the Scared, Home of the Weak.

:)
Tell you what, show me how brave and free @Chunks is... Go to St. John Medical Center in Tulsa. Go to the COVID ward. Visit a COVID patient. Without a mask. Ask the patient to take their mask off. Invite them to cough on you. Stand close when they do it. Tell them you are doing this for your entertainment. Do that and you will convince me that you brave and free and I am scared and weak. Be sure to take pictures and post them here. I mean, you should be willing to do that, right, since you have a 99.25% chance of dodging the bullet?

We'll be waiting.

Sep 10, 2010
Sachse, TX
I was hopeful that a season would be a viable option; however, with the lasting effects of the virus I have changed my opinion. My family hasn’t been impacted by COVID, but my 14 year old daughter did develop blood pressure issues following two separate cases of the flu earlier this year. She went from being a solid, competitive soccer player to not being able to get off the couch for weeks due to low blood pressure. Thankfully now we have her condition under control with BP meds but it was a long road to get her back to a normal activity level. We finally found a cardiologist on our own that was able to provide an accurate diagnosis and he was certain that the flu virus brought on her issues. All this to say, Some viruses shouldn’t be taken lightly.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
I simply don’t understand the “need to live in an isolated tent” group and only leave home from groceries and come right back. I am so thankful no one in my close family or friends feel that way. There is so much to life and there are risks everywhere you go. And some activities have a much higher risks than others.

I am going to flip the script to basketball. If Oklahoma HS basketball was cancelled it would do nothing to lower exposure. Players are going to play. Instead of having controlled practices with their same teammates, they are going to go play pickup games. The exposure for many may well increase.

College Football players, if season is canceled, will go to parties, bars, workout in public gyms instead of being in a controlled practice with their teammates every day. The exposure for many may well increase.
R0=0

R0=0

R0=0

R0=0

"College Football players, if season is canceled, will go to parties, bars, workout in public gyms instead of being in a controlled practice with their teammates every day. The exposure for many may well increase."
A perfect example of sofa stuffing.

How many times will this happen in a bar?
1597086040666.png

Jostate

Bluecolla's sock
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
We had a chance in March, and half-assed it, and now IMO we have no realistic chance of stopping it or slowing it down. .
This is the part that bothers me. I'm sure there is more we could have done, but my Bro in law was furloughed, my sis lost a large part of her business, I lost income, my son was sent home from school at spring break never to return, I couldn't get a hair cut, restaurants closed, church, movies, sports all stopped. This was supposed to be for 2 weeks while we "flattened the curve" The curve of new cases was flat, and deaths went down and the 2 weeks turned into 2 months. Okay, fine, all of that was necessary.

I just missed the part where we didn't take it seriously or half assed it. It was the most dramatic change we as a country have gone through since WW 2, so it sure felt like we took it seriously.

And BTW we have slowed it down. Whether we're talking new cases or deaths it is on the decline.

Last edited:

poknround

Banned
Banned
Oct 25, 2009
Wabashaw, WI
The sky is falling. Everyone should hunker down in a homemade bunker stocked with food, water, and other necessary supplies until notified otherwise. Lets see how that works.

That is the RXCowboy plan for America.

Jostate

Bluecolla's sock
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
The sky is falling. Everyone should hunker down in a homemade bunker stocked with food, water, and other necessary supplies until notified otherwise. Lets see how that works.

That is the RXCowboy plan for America.
Will it get college football back? If so, I'm on board.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth

Every year young men die of heat stroke, concussions, trauma, and heart attacks while playing football...certainly no deaths are acceptable, but it's not as if young men don't die annually playing this sport, and that doesn't even take into account those who die of other causes like cancer and other aliments that plague us all. I understand being safe and wearing mask while in attendance to games, but these kids have a minutely tiny small likelihood of being killed by covid compared to the rest of the population while basically quarantined and playing their sport.

The fact that they are healthy and in great shape actually IMPROVES their likelihood of survival and taking that away from them lessens their chances. I agree with Trevor Lawrence, it's actually safer for them to play. In fact it's a selfish move to keep them from playing... and, if he is right...actually puts players in more danger to contract it and have less resources to fight it when they do.

Without college football they won't get tested as often, they will receive worse healthcare and treatment if they do get it, and won't likely won't even be monitored, quarantined, or traced when they/if they test positive. Mostly they won't get testing AT ALL when they fell sick so they won't have to lock themselves down. No one wants to lock themselves down. Other health issues including mental ones from not doing something they absolutely love...It's NOT just about entertainment, it's actually about safety for the players. Lawrence makes a great point.

I challenge those who think this is being kind to players to rethink that notion...if anything it's kicking them in the balls and sending them to their own designs which will likely result in more covid contractions without being monitored. If you don't think these kids are going to party at the beach, spend time in the bars, travel and do whatever they want without a shared goal and constant training and testing their minds and bodies then you really don't understand young men. Best way to protect them is to let them play and make it mean something.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2006
R0=0

R0=0

R0=0

R0=0

"College Football players, if season is canceled, will go to parties, bars, workout in public gyms instead of being in a controlled practice with their teammates every day. The exposure for many may well increase."
A perfect example of sofa stuffing.

How many times will this happen in a bar?
View attachment 84752
I understand your opinion and I think we will agree we have vastly differing thoughts.

But you seem, IMO, to becoming more and more conservative/scared in your thoughts about COVID. Are you just staying at home all-day everyday? Are you planning to continue extinguishing all real-world social life?

cowboyinexile

Have some class
A/V Subscriber
Jun 29, 2004
Fairmont, MN
This is the part that bothers me. I'm sure there is more we could have done, but my Bro in law was furloughed, my sis lost a large part of her business, I lost income, my son was sent home from school at spring break never to return, I couldn't get a hair cut, restaurants closed, church, movies, sports all stopped. This was supposed to be for 2 weeks while we "flattened the curve" The curve of new cases was flat, and deaths went down and the 2 weeks turned into 2 months. Okay, fine, all of that was necessary.

I just missed the part where we didn't take it seriously or half assed it. It was the most dramatic change we as a country have gone through since WW 2, so it sure felt like we took it seriously.

And BTW we have slowed it down. Whether we're talking new cases or deaths it is on the decline.
We had a very disjointed governmental response that forced each state or even city to come up with its own set of rules in dealing with it. In addition large segments of the population either ignored the issue or actively tried to oppose any measure to limit the spread.

It's good that a lot of us did everything we could to keep it from spreading but without a coordinated federal response and no real punishment for people who defied stay at home orders it wasn't nearly enough. Maybe you should be bothered by that. You know people who sacrificed a lot for seemingly nothing. But don't be angry at the situation, be angry at those who were flippant about this and spreading instead of working with everyone else to get us through this.

Jostate

Bluecolla's sock
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
I thought maybe this was one of those things where we're supposed to finish the sentence.

If football is cancelled...

I'm going to blow up a gerbil with a tire pump.

Jostate

Bluecolla's sock
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
We had a very disjointed governmental response that forced each state or even city to come up with its own set of rules in dealing with it. In addition large segments of the population either ignored the issue or actively tried to oppose any measure to limit the spread.

It's good that a lot of us did everything we could to keep it from spreading but without a coordinated federal response and no real punishment for people who defied stay at home orders it wasn't nearly enough. Maybe you should be bothered by that. You know people who sacrificed a lot for seemingly nothing. But don't be angry at the situation, be angry at those who were flippant about this and spreading instead of working with everyone else to get us through this.
I prefer many of these decisions to be made on a state level. To treat Montana the same as NY just doesn't seem appropriate.

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK

Exactly. A friend of mine who leans pretty far left said we just need to do a "real" lockdown over a period of 6 weeks to " get ahead of this thing". And I my response was that we already had a lockdown that lasted 8 weeks.

As far as not taking it seriously. The company I work for is moving into our 4th straight month of taking the temperature of everybody who walks through the door, we also require everybody wear masks and have spent a not insubstantial amount ensuring we have plenty of masks and hand sanitizer on hand....as have lots of other businesses.

Sometimes I wonder just what kind of lockdown some people are expecting. You simply cannot expect a large majority of our population to sit in their house for 6 weeks, and I damn sure don't want to give the government the power to enforce such a policy at gun point.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
I was hopeful that a season would be a viable option; however, with the lasting effects of the virus I have changed my opinion. My family hasn’t been impacted by COVID, but my 14 year old daughter did develop blood pressure issues following two separate cases of the flu earlier this year. She went from being a solid, competitive soccer player to not being able to get off the couch for weeks due to low blood pressure. Thankfully now we have her condition under control with BP meds but it was a long road to get her back to a normal activity level. We finally found a cardiologist on our own that was able to provide an accurate diagnosis and he was certain that the flu virus brought on her issues. All this to say, Some viruses shouldn’t be taken lightly.
So are you saying that the after effects are kind of like the flu? I hadn't heard that before. Btw, best of luck with conditions and hopefully they can get that all in order asap.

I know over 40 people who have had the virus and none of them, that I know of anyway, have any long lasting after effects. Some may as I haven't polled them all. Most are from my church and the others are my brother and my sister in law, both in their 50's and their families in their 20's. I know some will likely have after effects, but it sounds like we get those from the flu as well?

Btw, I don't think a single person on this board is taking this "lightly," we just disagree on how "heavy" we should take it.