Inviting Former Players Back

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Nov 14, 2010
I don't think you understand. The continual attacks on Gundy do damage to OSU. People who love OSU are dumb and foolish to attack Gundy through the media.
They do damage to Gundy and his brand.

It only damages OSU's brand with recruits if it becomes apparent that the institution is willing to support his antics by keeping him.

Again....
Apparently Gundy was out with the regents, but Holder was able to smooth the situation over for the time being.

Hubbard did not attack OSU, he called out his coach and in the process is making OSU a better place for student athletes because the coach he called out is instituting change.

Thats the opposite of tarnishing the brand

That strengthens the brand from an institutional perspective because the institution is being improved.

The question is, how much will Gundys tarnished image hurt OSU amidst that process.

I dont think Gundy can overcome this in recruiting and I dont think it will benefit OSU to look complicit by keeping him past this year

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
Ok. What do you hope to gain by involving former athletes?
I already posted this answer, but since youre asking the same question, i'll post the same answer

More than could be realized and certainly more than ever before.

These D1 kids nowadays have people
in their communities or in their area that they train with....

Many times these trainers aren't neccessarily certified trainers; but are former players and they create networks and guide kids to one school or another

Many of these guys didnt quite make the NFL, but have a tremendous amount of credibility with High School kids.

I.E. Tracy Moore

On the flip side of that, many more times, they will work with a kid thats not getting looks like they should and will alert college coaches as to the fact fhat their is a kid that is under the radar that they need to get in on.

The more networked OSU becomes, the more high level kids get steered to play here, and the easier it becomes to find diamonds in the rough.

That's on top of the obvious benefits of having NFL Hall of Famers being more in the fold
I would think someone critical of Gundy would have a plan to either get more wins, better classroom results, or better community involvement. I know of no other ultimate goals.

Meh, guess not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sep 23, 2010
This is the perfect time for some butt-hurt former player to try to step in a topple on Gundy (See Sam Mayes every time he senses weakness). The opportunity for players to come back is always there. A simple call to Mack Brown will get it done.

Players are the bloodline of the program. But make no mistake, Gundy is the heart that pumps the blood. Players and assistant coaches have come and gone, but one person has been there leading and building this thing for the greatest 15 year run in OSU history. That is Mike Gundy. I get some don't like his personality or think we should be top 5 program, so this is the perfect time to take a dump on him because the liberal media got upset with him wearing opposing viewed network shirt and he announced his plans for players returns before anyone was emotionally ready to hear it.

Was Mike Gundy my favorite person in the world when I had my interactions with him? No. But I respect the hell out of the job he does year in and year out. Do I agree with all his decisions? I certainly didn't love Corndog loyalty. But I also remember right before his arrival, I could show up the game 10min late, walk down to just 4 rows up and watch the game in the student section.

Mostly, we have former players and fans who's feelings get hurt by Gundy's personality. Then we have those who think we should be competing for a natty year in and year out. Those are really Gundy's dissenters. I am reasonable enough to understand how good of job he is doing despite not being someone I would want to go have dinner and drinks with.

Nov 14, 2010
This is the perfect time for some butt-hurt former player to try to step in a topple on Gundy (See Sam Mayes every time he senses weakness). The opportunity for players to come back is always there. A simple call to Mack Brown will get it done.

Players are the bloodline of the program. But make no mistake, Gundy is the heart that pumps the blood. Players and assistant coaches have come and gone, but one person has been there leading and building this thing for the greatest 15 year run in OSU history. That is Mike Gundy. I get some don't like his personality or think we should be top 5 program, so this is the perfect time to take a dump on him because the liberal media got upset with him wearing opposing viewed network shirt and he announced his plans for players returns before anyone was emotionally ready to hear it.

Was Mike Gundy my favorite person in the world when I had my interactions with him? No. But I respect the hell out of the job he does year in and year out. Do I agree with all his decisions? I certainly didn't love Corndog loyalty. But I also remember right before his arrival, I could show up the game 10min late, walk down to just 4 rows up and watch the game in the student section.

Mostly, we have former players and fans who's feelings get hurt by Gundy's personality. Then we have those who think we should be competing for a natty year in and year out. Those are really Gundy's dissenters. I am reasonable enough to understand how good of job he is doing despite not being someone I would want to go have dinner and drinks with.
I would separate Sam Mayes from Thurman Thomas, Melvin Gilliam etc....

I think Thurman and Melvin, and others in their positions, want OSU to be as good as it can be and they think they can help and are just simply being under utilized in that process.

I think Sam Mayes spouts off to be a "tough guy" and draw ratings to his show.

I think there are others that are simply frustrsted, like Morency, and getting some pent up feelings off their chest.

But I think they could easily be appeased with very little effort and by simply doing things that should have already been being done by our coaches and the people around the program.

Nov 14, 2010
Here's the direct quote

"Thurman Thomas and Melvin Gilliam are on the phone talking about their devotion to Oklahoma State University, their hope they can help the Cowboys’ football program"

Dec 21, 2008
look at Gundys office with all his NFL players jerseys in the background. Now look at how many photos there are with these players...
Perish Cox
Dez
Okung
Morency
Bell
Pettigrew
Plus our troubled players
Randle
Tyreek Hill
Blackmon
Gilbert

I really feel that about 5yrs ago he was feeling the stresses and has taken a back seat approach. Hire people to make his job easier like social media campaigning and accolades etc. so he could relax. I think the relaxing and distancing himself is what the kids are feeling. I’ve talked to several players and they feel the team is ALOT closer now.
I know for a fact having NFL guys tweet at players and show program support goes a long ways. OU gets top recruits bc guys like Adrian Peterson tell them it’s the best program in the country. They come back and coach the spring game. Their culture is FUN. Ours is strictly business then move on. Hope that changes

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
I’ll like somebody to explain the process by which former players are realistically utilized to upgrade the talent on the field, in the classroom, or in the community without violating NCAA rules and potential wasting the coaching staff’s valuable time.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2017
Texas
It on this thread in about 3-4 places.

HS kids are influenced by an NFL player saying "go to this school". They can do that by tweets, seeing them at games, seeing them on TV on the side line, etc.

Now I do agree that that former player stuff is probably 6th or 7th down the list of what influences a kid's decision:
path to NFL, relationship with coaching staff, relationship with current players, location, ability to field a winning team, style of offense/defense,

Dec 21, 2008
My opinions
NFL Path B-
Coach Relationship B+
Player relationship B+
Location D
Winning Team A-
Offense A
Defense B-

Avg B-. About where we are in recruiting and overall success. That second tier off that top 10-15 teams. Comfortably in that 20-30 range. Can’t change location but adding more to enhance a players experience goes a long ways. We haven’t made many changes the past 8yrs besides some trophy room aesthetics. We have been passed by several programs. Besides a new HC, what are some things y’all would do to enhance their experience or help us our recruit Baylor and TCU? We feel stagnant

Nov 14, 2010
I’ll like somebody to explain the process by which former players are realistically utilized to upgrade the talent on the field, in the classroom, or in the community without violating NCAA rules and potential wasting the coaching staff’s valuable time.

Ive already explained this

But...

Heres anecdotal evidence for you specufically on the 2 Alumni mentioned Thurman Thomas and Melvin Gilliam

Melvin Gilliam is still involved in athletics. He assists in sending prospective players to be evaluated by coaching staffs. He not only assists OSU, but other schools such as TCU, Auburn, Texas and Arkansas just to name a few.

"Gilliam continues to be a beacon of positive light for Tulsa north and his alma mater Booker T. Washington."

Thats pretty clear how important a guy like Melvin Gilliam can be for a place like OSU.

He finds the diamonds in the rough and sends them to the coaches to be evaluated and has the platform to influence kids of all rank to come to OSU.

He is a very influential person in the Tulsa area in terms of the athletic arena and his reccomendations goes a long ways with a lot of kids.

So...knowing the role Gilliam plays with young prospective recruits in one of our biggest recruiting hotbeds, how does he not even have Gundys number?

Thats mind numbingly ridiculous.

Thurman Thomas remains close to the world of athletics as well.

His company provides guidance and training to athletes across all different levels to help athletes make good decisions.

Athletes he works with and the the athletes around that trust him.

If he makes a reccomendation they will listen.

If he sends a kid to OSU via reccomendation, that opens up all sorts of future opportunities.

It helps create a network towards OSU.

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2010
Tracy Moore just opened a new gym and works with athletes of all levels.

He just ran a camp in which Jeremy Smith helped with.

His influence could be huge for OSU

D1 athletes many times over stay involved in athletics after their playing careers are over

Either formally like Thurman, Melvin and Tracy, or more informally by coaching all sorts of teams as their kids grow up.

Many of them create networks into the best athletes in their area because they have the team, academy or program that all the best players want to be a part of.

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2011
Yankees Tavern, Carlos Texas
My opinions
NFL Path B-
Coach Relationship B+
Player relationship B+
Location D
Winning Team A-
Offense A
Defense B-

Avg B-. About where we are in recruiting and overall success. That second tier off that top 10-15 teams. Comfortably in that 20-30 range. Can’t change location but adding more to enhance a players experience goes a long ways. We haven’t made many changes the past 8yrs besides some trophy room aesthetics. We have been passed by several programs. Besides a new HC, what are some things y’all would do to enhance their experience or help us our recruit Baylor and TCU? We feel stagnant
I will never accept this idea that Stillwater is a bad college location to recruit to. I give you Auburn Alabama:

Auburn is a city in eastern Alabama. On the Auburn University campus, the sprawling Donald E. Davis Arboretum has a collection of native plants. The Jonathan Bell Lovelace Museum documents the university’s athletics history. The Jule Collins Smith Museum has art from the 18th–21st centuries. South of Auburn is Chewacla State Park with trails and a large lake. Southwest, Tuskegee National Forest is home to wild deer.
Weather: 76°F (24°C), Wind W at 5 mph (8 km/h), 92% Humidity
ZIP Codes: 36830–36832, 36849
Population: 65,738 (2018)

Native plants and wild deer. And they recruit in state vs Alabama, but still get top 10 recruiting classes with facilities a little better than ours. Look at Penn State. Lots of schools in towns very much like Stillwater recruit talent. It ain't location.

Nov 14, 2010
The greater area of Columbus-Auburn-Opelika, GA-AL CSA has a population that is the equivalent of Tulsa with a population of over 500,000

The Auburn-Opelika metropolitan area itself has 160,000 people.

That's twice the population of the entire county of Payne County.

In terms of Penn State

The State College–DuBois has a population over 250,000

OSU is in the middle of nowhere about as much as a Power 5 University can be.

That sometimes works to its advantage though because some kids feel like they're going back in time when they visit OSU and they like that.

But....the location of OSU definitely is an obstacle that has to be overcome with many kids.

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2011
Yankees Tavern, Carlos Texas
The greater area of Columbus-Auburn-Opelika, GA-AL CSA has a population that is the equivalent of Tulsa with a population of over 500,000

The Auburn-Opelika metropolitan area itself has 160,000 people.

That's twice the population of the entire county of Payne County.

In terms of Penn State

The State College–DuBois has a population over 250,000

OSU is in the middle of nowhere about as much as a Power 5 University can be.

That sometimes works to its advantage though because some kids feel like they're going back in time when they visit OSU and they like that.

But....the location of OSU definitely is an obstacle that has to be overcome with many kids.

Nah....Columbus is only slightly closer to Auburn than Tulsa is to Stillwater - very close to the same. So what you are talking about would be the equivalent of the Tulsa/Stillwater area, or a population of 600,000 or so.

I've been to Auburn, AL.

Auburn and Penn State apply very well.

Jun 16, 2020
Atlanta
I will never accept this idea that Stillwater is a bad college location to recruit to. I give you Auburn Alabama:

Auburn is a city in eastern Alabama. On the Auburn University campus, the sprawling Donald E. Davis Arboretum has a collection of native plants. The Jonathan Bell Lovelace Museum documents the university’s athletics history. The Jule Collins Smith Museum has art from the 18th–21st centuries. South of Auburn is Chewacla State Park with trails and a large lake. Southwest, Tuskegee National Forest is home to wild deer.
Weather: 76°F (24°C), Wind W at 5 mph (8 km/h), 92% Humidity
ZIP Codes: 36830–36832, 36849
Population: 65,738 (2018)

Native plants and wild deer. And they recruit in state vs Alabama, but still get top 10 recruiting classes with facilities a little better than ours. Look at Penn State. Lots of schools in towns very much like Stillwater recruit talent. It ain't location.
i agree auburn to atlanta is about 2 hours. Lane Kiffin won’t have a problem recruiting to Oxford Mississippi and College Station isnt exactly Las Vegas but Jimbo is getting players. There are some unique things we can do. Boynton pulled in a top 10 class.

Nov 14, 2010
Nah....Columbus is only slightly closer to Auburn than Tulsa is to Stillwater - very close to the same. So what you are talking about would be the equivalent of the Tulsa/Stillwater area, or a population of 600,000 or so.

I've been to Auburn, AL.

Auburn and Penn State apply very well.
Stillwater to Tulsa is almost twice as far apart as Auburn is to Columbus

Auburn to Columbus is 36 miles

To give a reference....thats close to the the same distance between El Reno and OKC and within 5 miles of the distance between Choctaw and OKC.

Not to mention
Just the just the Auburn-Opelita area has a population of 160,000 people which, again, is, twice as large as all of Payne County

The closest major Metropolitan area to Stillwater is Dallas

Penn State is equal distance to
New York City
Cleveland
Philadelphia
Pittsburgh
Washington DC
Newark New Jersey
Etc...

From the distance from OSU to Dallas, which is OSUs closest major metropolitan hotbed, Penn State has millions of more popluation to recruit from.

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2020
Atlanta
Stillwater to Tulsa is almost twice as far apart as Auburn is to Columbus

Auburn to Columbus is 36 miles

Not to mention
Just the just the Auburn-Opelita area has a population of 160,000 people which, again, is, twice as large as all of Payne County

The closest major Metropolitan area to Stillwater is Dallas

Penn State is equal distance to
New York City
Cleveland
Philadelphia
Pittsburgh
Washington DC
Newark New Jersey
Etc...

From the distance from OSU to Dallas, which is OSUs closest major metropolitan hotbed, Penn State has millions of more popluation to recruit from.
If the question becomes would you rather be closer to the Texas hotbed or those east coast cities.... it gets interesting I am not sold on the consistent talent in those areas.
Texas is proven talent!

Feb 18, 2009
Before all of this public discussion on Mike Gundy began, I had a conversation with someone in the program when we missed out on another athlete whose family member went to OSU. Those that follow recruiting will probably remember that this has been a common occurrence. The person I was talking with talked about the lack of investment in relationships from Coach Gundy. That article is very telling and echoes what a lot of us hear from other former players. Getting alums engaged in the program is easy. Those guys are already bought in. Like Tatum said, he bleeds orange. We know Thurman does as well.

Mike Boynton has done a great job with making it an open door policy for alums because "it's their program". The connection that Coach Boynton has made with our former players has helped him recruit players that train with Victor Williams, Melvin Sanders, Joe Adkins and others. Players don't leave the athletic community once they retire. In fact, most of the time they get even more invested.

I don't know if it's Gundy being lackadaisical or too egotistical to think about the strength in having a strong alumni base, but it has to change. We must invest in our alums because history shows that alums will re-invest in their school.
This really speaks to the lack of relationship dialogue we've been hearing.