Israel proves the NRA's arguments

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

StillwaterTownie

Federal Marshal
Jun 18, 2010
Where else but Stillwater
Gun rights advocates contend that the way to stop mass shootings is by ensuring that there are always well-armed citizens present who can neutralize the shooter. As NRA chairman Wayne Lapierre always says, "The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun".
But here is video proof that concealed carry permit holders live in a dream world:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=309&v=8QjZY3WiO9s

Part 2:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLN6_s66wTg

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2007

steross

Bookface/Instagran legend
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
Australia
Since the vast majority of firearms are now semi-auto, and have been since like WWII... yes, it should be quite easy to purchase a semi-auto weapon.

AND EVERY GUN is an "assault weapon" if used as a "weapon".

And it only benefits those being murdered by guns IF you confiscate every single gun from those who intend to use them for murder. Good luck with that.

The 2nd Amendment has plenty of responsibility in it. So do our current gun laws... enforce them... and elevate punishment for those who resort to gun violence.

If you don't believe in the 2nd Amendment, then exercise your right to NOT own a gun. Be my guest. But don't take that liberty away from others.

*I'm all for a revamped background check... but I draw the line there.
What gun law currently on the books has not been enforced that would have stopped these shootings? Again, nobody is wanting to take your liberty away any more than they took your liberty away in the 1930s when they decided that you could not have fully automatic weapons without jumping through some hoops. Why aren't we arguing that liberty "removal" anymore? Why didn't that slippery slope us like the claim is that any further restriction will do?

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
What gun law currently on the books has not been enforced that would have stopped these shootings? Again, nobody is wanting to take your liberty away any more than they took your liberty away in the 1930s when they decided that you could not have fully automatic weapons without jumping through some hoops. Why aren't we arguing that liberty "removal" anymore? Why didn't that slippery slope us like the claim is that any further restriction will do?
Just to point out, you're using the automatic weapons restriction as an argument for further restrictions, and then claiming that the slope ain't slippery.

osupsycho

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Apr 20, 2005
Valhalla
For the Texas church shooter it was simply a filing mistake that allowed him to have the gun. For the Florida school shooter I’d he had been sent to a mental health facility like he should have when he was cutting his arms that would have triggered him not being able to buy guns. I think we need to tighten background checks up drastically, including being required for gun shows and move the age up to 21 for all guns (already 21 for handguns). Then if an 18 year old wants to hunt they can go through a hunter safety course and purchase a hunting rifle (might need some clarity defining this) with the assistance of an adult. Somewhat like driving a car with a permit.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
For the Texas church shooter it was simply a filing mistake that allowed him to have the gun. For the Florida school shooter I’d he had been sent to a mental health facility like he should have when he was cutting his arms that would have triggered him not being able to buy guns. I think we need to tighten background checks up drastically, including being required for gun shows and move the age up to 21 for all guns (already 21 for handguns). Then if an 18 year old wants to hunt they can go through a hunter safety course and purchase a hunting rifle (might need some clarity defining this) with the assistance of an adult. Somewhat like driving a car with a permit.
Background checks are already required for dealers at gun shows.

Duke Silver

Find safe haven in a warm bathtub full of my jazz.
A/V Subscriber
Sep 17, 2004
Cozy's Bar
Murder being illegal and it was illegal to have guns at school? Maybe the gun free zone does more harm than good?? I don't know.

osupsycho

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Apr 20, 2005
Valhalla
Background checks are already required for dealers at gun shows.
Yes but not everyone is considered a dealer at a lot of gun shows. I guess the answer is only allow dealers at gun shows. I know I have bought a couple of guns at gun shows and did not have to do a background check so some are still finding ways around. Yes there will still be things like armslist etc but most of those you have to have licensed gun dealer do the transaction.

The overall best answer I think would be simply to license all gun owners similar to how we do with drivers licenses. You go in take a class, pass a test and have a gun ownership license. However I don't see that being something that most will accept as one side wants to just get rid of the guns and the other just wants to have guns with no real hassles.

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
My twelve year old can have a shotgun or hunting rifle. He's done Hunter safety AND 4H gun training. I have to buy it for him and it has to go through a gun dealer and I get the background check. I don't see anything wrong with that. Need to open up mental records and juvenile arrest records to the background checks and include kids in the check process also.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

oks10

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2007
Yukon, OK
At 18 yrs old they ARE an adult...

oks10

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2007
Yukon, OK
My point being that when you spend a kids whole life protecting them from their own failures and preventing them from learning how to make decisions (and deal with their consequences) like an adult, it's not surprising to see that they end up being "children" longer.

StillwaterTownie

Federal Marshal
Jun 18, 2010
Where else but Stillwater
But armed security was present at some of those past school shootings, yet lives were lost. What do you want to do about that problem? Make schools more like prisons? Persuade all churches to have armed security? After all, if more security doesn't save all lives, it's bound to save a few. That's better than none.