Jalen Cone Virginia Tech Transfer

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

TrevB11

Wrangler
Dec 16, 2019
Stillwater
It looks like his 3 point % dipped a bit his soph year, but seems to be a very capable free throw shooter, which we desperately need also.

Mar 27, 2008
A little more info about him in this ESPN article...

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-b...er-transfer-portal-explore-other-options-says

"Cone, a 5-foot-10 sophomore, was considered one of the best 3-point shooters in the ACC."

"A North Carolina native, Cone averaged 9.2 points in 19.9 minutes this season after averaging 8.0 points in 18.4 minutes as a freshman. He shot 45.7% from 3 last season, and 101 of his 125 made shots during his two seasons with the Hokies were from behind the 3-point line.
Cone had a six-game stretch in December and January this season where he averaged 17.2 points and shot 43.3% from behind the arc. But he suffered a foot injury that hampered him and ultimately forced him to miss the final month of the season. He said he's out of a boot and walking in regular shoes again."

Oct 30, 2007
That's a shocker, but it sounds like he wants to go to a smaller school where he can get a ton of shots and be the focus of the offense. We might be better off without someone like that on our roster.

https://www.si.com/college/2021/04/06/jalen-cone-transfer-northern-arizona-virginia-tech
Virginia Tech Transfer Jalen Cone Commits to Northern Arizona After Seeing Max Abmas Dominate March
“Just seeing what Max was able to do on the national level in March and the whole year had a major impact on my decision,” Cone said. “Seeing someone my size with similar skills have that type of impact was an eye opener for me.”

“I loved the freedom they gave him,” Cone said of Shelton. “They really believed in his talent and let him go and play off his instincts. He wanted to be a bigger school, but I’ve already experienced that and now I want to showcase my game to the world. I feel like Coach [Shane] Burcar and Coach [Fowler] are gonna give me the opportunity to do that.”

Sep 23, 2010
I have to give the kid credit. He's open about wanting a large role and he knows he has a better opportunity for that at a smaller school.

Dec 11, 2011
After seeing how much attention Abmas at ORU & before him, Ja Morant, got due to a short stretch of big time NCAA tourney performance*, is this going to be a new trend?

*Obviously, we saw what Abmas was capable of, and did all season, but the rest of the country may not be as tuned-in....