Jan. 6 sentencing...

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

PF5

Deputy
Jan 3, 2014
Florida man Paul Hodgkins receives 8 months in prison, first Jan. 6 defendant sentenced on a felony charge

A Florida man became the first felon sentenced Monday for his role in the Jan. 6 insurrection at the U.S. Capitol, receiving eight months in prison and being ordered to pay $2,000 in restitution for a portion of the damage to the building.
Hodgkins, 38, of Tampa, faced sentencing guidelines of 15 to 21 months in prison after pleading guilty to obstruction of an official proceeding for interrupting Congress' counting of Electoral College votes. He spent 15 minutes in the Senate chamber, holding a flag for former President Donald Trump and taking pictures.

Hodgkins had asked Moss for no prison time. Hodgkins said he had no plans to enter the Capitol when he traveled to Washington to attend Trump's rally earlier in the day, but that he got swept up in the march along Pennsylvania Avenue. Once inside the Capitol, he said he apologized to police officers for the trouble and he offered medical care to an injured rioter.
“I can say without a shadow of a doubt that I am truly remorseful and regretful for my actions in Washington," Hodgkins told the court. “This was a foolish decision on my part that I take full responsibility for it."

Mona Sedky, an assistant U.S. attorney, had recommended an 18-month sentence to promote respect for the law and to deter a future riot at the Capitol.

Hodgkins is among the first dozen defendants to reach plea bargains with prosecutors, four for felonies and eight for misdemeanors. Two defendants with misdemeanors have been sentenced, one to six months behind bars and one to three years of probation.
At least 535 people were charged in the first six months after the attack, with 165 accused of assaulting, resisting or impeding officers, according to the Justice Department. More than 50 people are charged with using a deadly or dangerous weapon, or causing serious bodily injury to an officer, the department said.
About 140 police officers were injured during the melee that temporarily halted Congress counting Electoral College votes. The disruption led to charges of obstruction of an official proceeding, which carries a 20-year maximum sentence.

f7d45ba8-704c-4e2c-818a-1d6a13118ec4-hodgkins.jpg

TheMonkey

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 16, 2004
DFW
Florida man Paul Hodgkins receives 8 months in prison, first Jan. 6 defendant sentenced on a felony charge

A Florida man became the first felon sentenced Monday for his role in the Jan. 6 insurrection at the U.S. Capitol, receiving eight months in prison and being ordered to pay $2,000 in restitution for a portion of the damage to the building.
Hodgkins, 38, of Tampa, faced sentencing guidelines of 15 to 21 months in prison after pleading guilty to obstruction of an official proceeding for interrupting Congress' counting of Electoral College votes. He spent 15 minutes in the Senate chamber, holding a flag for former President Donald Trump and taking pictures.

Hodgkins had asked Moss for no prison time. Hodgkins said he had no plans to enter the Capitol when he traveled to Washington to attend Trump's rally earlier in the day, but that he got swept up in the march along Pennsylvania Avenue. Once inside the Capitol, he said he apologized to police officers for the trouble and he offered medical care to an injured rioter.
“I can say without a shadow of a doubt that I am truly remorseful and regretful for my actions in Washington," Hodgkins told the court. “This was a foolish decision on my part that I take full responsibility for it."

Mona Sedky, an assistant U.S. attorney, had recommended an 18-month sentence to promote respect for the law and to deter a future riot at the Capitol.

Hodgkins is among the first dozen defendants to reach plea bargains with prosecutors, four for felonies and eight for misdemeanors. Two defendants with misdemeanors have been sentenced, one to six months behind bars and one to three years of probation.
At least 535 people were charged in the first six months after the attack, with 165 accused of assaulting, resisting or impeding officers, according to the Justice Department. More than 50 people are charged with using a deadly or dangerous weapon, or causing serious bodily injury to an officer, the department said.
About 140 police officers were injured during the melee that temporarily halted Congress counting Electoral College votes. The disruption led to charges of obstruction of an official proceeding, which carries a 20-year maximum sentence.

View attachment 91029
If he’s part of a plea bargain agreement, it’s safe to say there are some much larger sentences coming.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
https://twitter.com/timryerson2/status/1414612635019059202?s=21
I remember when the cry was that Obama sending in Feds to cities to help with Riots was an over reach of Federal Govt and that there were huge outcries on this very website that the States and the Cities should be responsible for that and that it was NOT the Feds job to do such things.

Now, some MAGA morons go and storm the Federal US Capitol building and are met and confronted by Federal Law Enforcement Officers and the outcry is "Why did you stop those people storming the Federal Capitol building and Not stop the ones in the streets of all these cities and States!"

TheMonkey

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 16, 2004
DFW
Do you agree with what you linked to?

Branco nails the Left’s silent support of Antifa, BLM and other domestic terrorist organizations while focusing on the relatively minor infractions at the Capitol on January 6th where the only person killed in the violence was Ashli Babbitt, a 110-pound woman with nothing in her hands, whose death by shooting has been ruled a homicide. There has been a determined effort to cover up the full circumstances of this homicide

Mar 11, 2006
Do you agree with what you linked to?

Branco nails the Left’s silent support of Antifa, BLM and other domestic terrorist organizations while focusing on the relatively minor infractions at the Capitol on January 6th where the only person killed in the violence was Ashli Babbitt, a 110-pound woman with nothing in her hands, whose death by shooting has been ruled a homicide. There has been a determined effort to cover up the full circumstances of this homicide
Do I agree with the political cartoon? Yes, too many people ignored or didn’t care about summer riots, but seem now aghast at Jan 6th.

Do I agree with the verbiage you listed? No. Jan 6th attacks were not minor and Ashli Babbit was trying to break-in. And I don’t think there is any cover-up.

People should be outraged at both.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
Yep....outraged they happened and the damage and destruction.

The people responsible in all cases should be held responsible and face charges for the roles they played

People should be VERY aware there are two very distinguished and separate realms in these issues. One is a States issue and One is a Federal Issue. Besides that, I don't see them as being different

One should be handled at the States Level and One should be handled at the Federal Level.

TheMonkey

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 16, 2004
DFW
Do I agree with the political cartoon? Yes, too many people ignored or didn’t care about summer riots, but seem now aghast at Jan 6th.

Do I agree with the verbiage you listed? No. Jan 6th attacks were not minor and Ashli Babbit was trying to break-in. And I don’t think there is any cover-up.

One is a raging inferno and the other is a tiny cloud of smoke. The cartoon and the verbiage are one and the same.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
One is a raging inferno and the other is a tiny cloud of smoke. The cartoon and the verbiage are one and the same.
The cartoon clearly was downplaying Jan 6th vs Summer 2020 protest.

Step ONE...before we as a collective can begin to come together and get past this....we must ALL recognize that both of these events were atrocities..and any attempt to compare and contrast them as anything but atrocities is a dishonest and weak minded attempt at tribalism

TheMonkey

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 16, 2004
DFW
The cartoon clearly was downplaying Jan 6th vs Summer 2020 protest.

Step ONE...before we as a collective can begin to come together and get past this....we must ALL recognize that both of these events were atrocities..and any attempt to compare and contrast them as anything but atrocities is a dishonest and weak minded attempt at tribalism
I do not condone either. If you flip the message of that cartoon, I would not support its message. I was fine with either side protesting, but I draw the line at violence and/or disrupting the democratic processes of our country.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
https://twitter.com/timryerson2/status/1414612635019059202?s=21

I remember when the cry was that Obama sending in Feds to cities to help with Riots was an over reach of Federal Govt and that there were huge outcries on this very website that the States and the Cities should be responsible for that and that it was NOT the Feds job to do such things.

Now, some MAGA morons go and storm the Federal US Capitol building and are met and confronted by Federal Law Enforcement Officers and the outcry is "Why did you stop those people storming the Federal Capitol building and Not stop the ones in the streets of all these cities and States!"
Democrat cities were offered help, especially to protect federal buildings. They refused it. I say that's on the mayor's and governors, not the feds. They offered. I think it's sad that the cry of "defund the police" was parked by many leftists, and now they are having to backtrack because of the crime increase.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk