Jeremy Lin

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

OrangeAggie

Assistant to the Moderater
A/V Subscriber
Feb 6, 2004
Edmond
If you haven't seen what he's been doing with the Knicks, it's absolutely remarkable. He's become my favorite non-Thunder NBA player without a doubt.

HeartLike_JohnStarks

Territorial Marshal
Jan 11, 2008
Streets got my heart, game got my soul
Same here. I watched the last two games to see whether the kid is legit or not. He is. Mini Steve Nash with better slashing ability

He's the Asian Tim Tebow.

-or......rather....

Tim Tebow is the Asian Jeremy Lin (since Tebow was born in Thailand)

He and Marshon Brooks are my new favorite young, up-and-coming stars to watch

OrangeAggie

A/V Subscriber
Feb 6, 2004
Edmond
Same here. I watched the last two games to see whether the kid is legit or not. He is. Mini Steve Nash with better slashing ability

He's the Asian Tim Tebow.

-or......rather....

Tim Tebow is the Asian Jeremy Lin (since Tebow was born in Thailand)

He and Marshon Brooks are my new favorite young, up-and-coming stars to watch
In what way are you comparing him to Tim Tebow?

HeartLike_JohnStarks

Territorial Marshal
Jan 11, 2008
In what way are you comparing him to Tim Tebow?

1)He's become everyone's favorite underdog

2) Comes in as unknown underdog, with right situation (injuries to starters), then takes opportunity to come in and not only spark the team, but finds ways to win games for the team and just makes the team play better overall.

3) He's also a un-abasheddevout Christian

Its not just me. A lot of people said that on twitter after his 2nd game too

OrangeAggie

A/V Subscriber
Feb 6, 2004
Edmond
1)He's become everyone's favorite underdog

2) Comes in as unknown underdog, with right situation (injuries to starters), then takes opportunity to come in and not only spark the team, but finds ways to win games for the team and just makes the team play better overall.

3) He's also a un-abasheddevout Christian

Its not just me. A lot of people said that on twitter after his 2nd game too
I fail to see any real similarities. Jeremy Lin may be Christian, but so are probably 90% of the other players in the NBA. He's not in your face about it in the Tebow manner.

Jeremy Lin wasn't offered an athletic scholarship anywhere coming out of high school, whereas Tebow was the consensus #1 quarterback recruit in the country. Lin was undrafted, whereas Tebow was a Heisman winner and 1st round pick.

I see Lin as more of a true underdog story and a great cultural story in that he's breaking down many of the stereotypes held about the Chinese.

Lab Rat

Hold on while I make a chart
A/V Subscriber
Jan 5, 2012
He can definitely play. He's also the prototypical D'Antoni point guard, like Nash was. I don't think he'll ever get thrown under the bus by D'Antoni, and he'll draw strong support from the Asian American community in NYC. I think it's a perfect fit!

HeartLike_JohnStarks

Territorial Marshal
Jan 11, 2008
I understand your viewpoint. Its not an outright comparison, just SOME similarities. Its mainly due to the sudden success and consequent cult hero/underdog thing

Here's a good article that can summarize this a little better

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204136404577209274190816522.html

Tebowmania? That was so 2011. It's time for a new cult-hero phenomenon: Linsanity.
Tim Tebow's ascent was improbable, but the Broncos quarterback was still a Heisman Trophy winner in college. Consider the resume of Knicks point guard Jeremy Lin. He was undrafted in 2010 out of Harvard. He was waived by the Warriors during training camp this year, claimed by the Rockets, let go again and relegated to the Development League after signing with the Knicks.
Now for the insane part. On Saturday, two weeks after his one D-League appearance, he scored a career-high 25 points in a win over the Nets. On Monday, his first game as an NBA starter, he had 28 points as the Madison Square Garden crowd showered him with "M-V-P" chants.
Enlarge Image

If this sounds familiar, it's because his career arc so far mimics Tebow's, from the unlikely fascination (Lin is the first American-born Chinese or Taiwanese player) through the rock-bottom point (Tebow was third-string at the start of this season) to the freakish success (Tebow won seven of his first eight games as Denver's starter).
Then there's their shared religious values. "I'm just thankful to God for this opportunity," Lin said in an on-court interview Saturday before tweeting, "God is good during our ups and our downs!" His Twitter avatar is a Jesus cartoon. Tebow's, for the record, is his autobiography's cover.
—Ben Cohen

Lab Rat

A/V Subscriber
Jan 5, 2012
"I am riding him like Secratariate" - D'Antoni
Sure, D'Antoni is going to push Lin as hard has he can, but he's loyal to guys that buy into the system. Jeremy Lin is not Stephon Marbury. Plus, D'Antoni didn't even throw Marbury under the bus; Marbury crawled.

JoeHero

I don't say blah blah blah
A/V Subscriber
May 8, 2006
I'm not sold. Most anyone can have three good games. Now he's gonna get attention from opposing teams and will be shut down. And the knicks will lose again and we won't have to hear the new york hype machine until the next get gets scores twenty for three games :rolleyes:

HeartLike_JohnStarks

Territorial Marshal
Jan 11, 2008
I'm not sold. Most anyone can have three good games. Now he's gonna get attention from opposing teams and will be shut down. And the knicks will lose again and we won't have to hear the new york hype machine until the next get gets scores twenty for three games :rolleyes:
How are you not "sold" yet? No one's making him out to be the next coming of Nash or something. He's just simply what the Knicks have desperately needed at PG in D'Antoni's system

He went up against these 3 PGs: Deron Williams (elite), Devon Harris (former All Star), and John Wall (former 1st round pick). Not to mention against Washington he was going up and finishing against 2 of the 7-footers of the Wizards.
That's not a fluke to be a able to go up against 3 of the best PGs in the game and playing well against a pretty good Jazz team, and a Wizards team with an elite shotblocker in Javale McGee

I usually hate the NY media, but the Knicks haven't been good and truly relevant in a long time, and any TRUE NBA fans would rather want them atleast in the playoffs again. That likely won't happen this year but the Knicks have sucked this year , even with Amare and Melo. They have been utterly desperate this year for a true PG, and this is what this kid gives them.

That said though, I don't think this kid will continue putting up these numbers consistently (especially when it comes to scoring), especially after Melo and Amare comes back. Melo is probably going to go back to iso'ing and demanding the ball most of the team and mess up the flow that they have had the past few games under Lin

Lab Rat

A/V Subscriber
Jan 5, 2012
He graduated in 2010 and went undrafted, but played on the Mavericks Summer League team in Las Vegas that summer. Here's a story from then: http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/nba/columns/story?columnist=caplan_jeff&id=5387547

He got some attention for holding his own against John Wall, who was the #1 pick that year. Though the Mavs didn't sign him, the Warriors did, but he rode the pine behind Curry and Ellis. He was a fan favorite in the Bay Area, as that's where he's from and they have a large Asian American fanbase. He also played in the D-League while with the Warriors.

Lab Rat

A/V Subscriber
Jan 5, 2012
He's paid his dues in the D-League and on the back-end of NBA rosters for a couple of years. At worst, I'd compare his future to John Lucas III, who has become a nice role player for the Bulls. He's on an NBA roster to stay, but time will tell if he can average 14+ points and 7+ assists for the duration of a season, which is what the Knicks need. I understand your skepticism, but I recall the same skepticism around Steve Nash, too.

JoeHero

A/V Subscriber
May 8, 2006
How are you not "sold" yet? No one's making him out to be the next coming of Nash or something. He's just simply what the Knicks have desperately needed at PG in D'Antoni's system

He went up against these 3 PGs: Deron Williams (elite), Devon Harris (former All Star), and John Wall (former 1st round pick). Not to mention against Washington he was going up and finishing against 2 of the 7-footers of the Wizards.
That's not a fluke to be a able to go up against 3 of the best PGs in the game and playing well against a pretty good Jazz team, and a Wizards team with an elite shotblocker in Javale McGee

I usually hate the NY media, but the Knicks haven't been good and truly relevant in a long time, and any TRUE NBA fans would rather want them atleast in the playoffs again. That likely won't happen this year but the Knicks have sucked this year , even with Amare and Melo. They have been utterly desperate this year for a true PG, and this is what this kid gives them.

That said though, I don't think this kid will continue putting up these numbers consistently (especially when it comes to scoring), especially after Melo and Amare comes back. Melo is probably going to go back to iso'ing and demanding the ball most of the team and mess up the flow that they have had the past few games under Lin
"The next Steve Nash" is the phrase I've heard used to describe him the most the past four days.

He abused Devon Harris and two teams that give up 100 a game. You've got me convinced.

Right, only true NBA fans want the Knicks in the playoffs :rolleyes: The past decade has only been good for them fake NBA fans.

JoeHero

A/V Subscriber
May 8, 2006
He's paid his dues in the D-League and on the back-end of NBA rosters for a couple of years. At worst, I'd compare his future to John Lucas III, who has become a nice role player for the Bulls. He's on an NBA roster to stay, but time will tell if he can average 14+ points and 7+ assists for the duration of a season, which is what the Knicks need. I understand your skepticism, but I recall the same skepticism around Steve Nash, too.
Everyone is so quick to crown a guy after three games. Everyone should just settle down and let it play out. I mean I guess it's just the sports culture now and I should accept it, but with all the "Tebow is the greatest" "Ford needs to be fired now!" "Eli is ELIte now!" "The Celtics lost 4 in a row, they're finished!!!" "Tebow sucks trade him" I just can't take it anymore. I hope Lin is the next Steve Nash, but no one knows that. You can't tell from 3 games.

OSU_CC

Territorial Marshal
Dec 4, 2010
Everyone is so quick to crown a guy after three games. Everyone should just settle down and let it play out. I mean I guess it's just the sports culture now and I should accept it, but with all the "Tebow is the greatest" "Ford needs to be fired now!" "Eli is ELIte now!" "The Celtics lost 4 in a row, they're finished!!!" "Tebow sucks trade him" I just can't take it anymore. I hope Lin is the next Steve Nash, but no one knows that. You can't tell from 3 games.
How about 4?

Guy dropped 38 tonight without Carmelo and Stoudamire against one of the best teams in the Western Conference against one of the best players of all-time.