Jeremy Pruitt fired for cause . Tennessee

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
Guess we will not have to worry about Matt Campbell turning around the ISU program anymore
If I'm Matt Campbell, I'd rather be at Iowa State. Pruitt cheated a lot to go 3-7. Three things are possible and they aren't mutually exclusive: there's rampant cheating in the SEC (maybe all of college football), Pruitt is a terrible coach, and/or it's that hard to win at Tennessee. I'll note that he was DC at Bama before this and Tenn has only had one coach last more than 3 years since Fulmer (Butch Jones lasted 5).

Aug 16, 2012
If I'm Matt Campbell, I'd rather be at Iowa State. Pruitt cheated a lot to go 3-7. Three things are possible and they aren't mutually exclusive: there's rampant cheating in the SEC (maybe all of college football), Pruitt is a terrible coach, and/or it's that hard to win at Tennessee. I'll note that he was DC at Bama before this and Tenn has only had one coach last more than 3 years since Fulmer (Butch Jones lasted 5).
Oh, I completely agree that ISU is a much better program right now and on the right trajectory. But Tennessee is going to throw obscene money at him and Tennessee is much closer to his roots. But who knows. I just do not see him staying at ISU for long. Even saw one article lobbying for him to replace Helton at USC.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
Tennessee is like Texas, they have the budget and tradition to be a blue blood, all they need is the right coach who can take advantage of their resources.

Sep 6, 2012
Edmond
Agree with this 100 percent. If he did go to UT , I would think he would be asking for a lot of control. I don't think the boosters will back off. Would Napier take it, I believe he has already passed on 2 sec jobs.

Aug 16, 2012
They are a blue blood program. They have the biggest stadium in the country, and it is in an absolutely gorgeous setting on the Tennessee River in the Smokey Mountains. I've been to a game there and it is incredible.
View attachment 88529
We will have to agree to disagree. One national title in the past 50 years (the most important factor IMO) does not make a program a blue blood in my book, but that is my opinion, which is heavily weighted for results within the last several decades. As I have stated many times before, I could not care less about what happened in once upon a time generations ago. They had a great 90s but have been meh since then. At some point, you lose your status....again, my opinion.

RxCowboy

A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
We will have to agree to disagree. One national title in the past 50 years (the most important factor IMO) does not make a program a blue blood in my book, but that is my opinion, which is heavily weighted for results within the last several decades. As I have stated many times before, I could not care less about what happened in once upon a time generations ago. They had a great 90s but have been meh since then. At some point, you lose your status....again, my opinion.
A record attendance of 109k says you're wrong. They have all the resources to be on top again, they just need the right person who can take advantage of the resources that are available.

jetman

Federal Marshal
Nov 27, 2004
Edmond Oklahoma
If this was all true (which I'm sure it is) about the coaches at Tennessee handing out bags of cash to recruits, they better get hammered hard. There shouldn't be any coach worth a s*** that should want to go anywhere near that program for several years because of all the sanctions that should be headed their way.

OSU would get another near death penalty situation if this was us.

Jul 9, 2011
earrth
They are a blue blood program. They have the biggest stadium in the country, and it is in an absolutely gorgeous setting on the Tennessee River in the Smokey Mountains. I've been to a game there and it is incredible.
View attachment 88529
I hear you. BUT: no national title in more than 20 years. No conference or even a division title in the last 10 years. I don't care how big their stadium is, so at some point they aren't a "blue blood" anymore. I don't know when that is, just sayin'.

RxCowboy

A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
I hear you. BUT: no national title in more than 20 years. No conference or even a division title in the last 10 years. I don't care how big their stadium is, so at some point they aren't a "blue blood" anymore. I don't know when that is, just sayin'.
When was OU's last national title?

It's about resources. They have them.

Aug 16, 2012
A record attendance of 109k says you're wrong. They have all the resources to be on top again, they just need the right person who can take advantage of the resources that are available.
So, attendance determines who is a blue blood.

OK

Aug 16, 2012
When was OU's last national title?

It's about resources. They have them.
Resources? Wow, find me anyone that uses that as a top-tier factor and Tennessee is not even top 15 in athletic budgets with Kentucky, Iowa, Auburn, FSU, Wisconsin all generate more revenue according to 247Sports.

How many teams do you consider as blue bloods?

Tennessee does not even have a Heisman winner.

They had their day in the sun, but that run ended a while back.

Aug 16, 2012
No, it doesn't. But how many non-blue bloods can put 100k butts in the seats?
OK, they have a strong fan base in a traditionally 1-horse state that comes out during bad to meh years and a program in disarray. What is their record the past 20 years? How many championships? Top-5 finishes, top-10, Top-20? Hell, even conference championships. Blue blood is not a tattoo for life. It is earned and results are the biggest variable.