Jim Knowles to ohio state official

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Aug 13, 2005
OKC
I believe Gundy and the assistant coaches all get bonuses for winning the Big 12 Championship and additional bonuses for getting to CFP and winning those games.

My feeling is Gundy should be the highest paid coach in the Big 12 since Riley is leaving OU now. The Football program will probably make ten million more than normal year if we get into the playoffs. I would make clause in Gundy and Knowles contracts to be either the top or close to top for Big 12 Coaches annually. With the success this year you only know teams will be coming after Gundy and Knowles.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
Clements is a great coach, if we can't keep Knowles we should promote Clements.
Maybe, maybe not. Can’t imagine Gundy would want any DC that isn’t equipped (mentally) and prepared to keep the Knowles defense as is. I don’t know how us fans could have any idea if anyone on the staff has the wherewithal to fit that necessity as a first-time DC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sep 11, 2021
Wisconsin
If (1) Knowles aspires to coach at the highest levels of college football, and (2) isn’t married to Stillwater, there’s not enough money in Stillwater to keep him.

The goal should be to pay him an amount that (1) makes him feel very appreciated, and (2) reflects his notional value as one of the best DCs in the country.

He did not do well as an HC at a historically underperforming Ivy League school. That is likely not on him. He may want to take another crack at it somewhere.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
If (1) Knowles aspires to coach at the highest levels of college football, and (2) isn’t married to Stillwater, there’s not enough money in Stillwater to keep him.

The goal should be to pay him an amount that (1) makes him feel very appreciated, and (2) reflects his notional value as one of the best DCs in the country.

He did not do well as an HC at a historically underperforming Ivy League school. That is likely not on him. He may want to take another crack at it somewhere.
Yeah, maybe. But how would that change what OSU can/should do?

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
Maybe, maybe not. Can’t imagine Gundy would want any DC that isn’t equipped (mentally) and prepared to keep the Knowles defense as is. I don’t know how us fans could have any idea if anyone on the staff has the wherewithal to fit that necessity as a first-time DC.

I think the "Knowles defense" isn't so much scheme as it is (a) his ability to make the right calls at the right time with calculated risks during the game (b) his ability to adjust between drives or at halftime and (c) the very experienced players we have this season.

Knowles is awesome, and I hope we keep him, but I don't think his "system" can be simply replicated by someone else. It's him, not the system.

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2021
Wisconsin
I think the "Knowles defense" isn't so much scheme as it is (a) his ability to make the right calls at the right time with calculated risks during the game (b) his ability to adjust between drives or at halftime and (c) the very experienced players we have this season.

Knowles is awesome, and I hope we keep him, but I don't think his "system" can be simply replicated by someone else. It's him, not the system.
The players love playing for him and leave everything on the field. But his defense is also pretty darned good. I loved how they showed blitz and then dropped into different coverages and changed linebackers as the spies for Williams.

The old days, we would have just shown a 4-3 and hoped for the best.

Sep 10, 2010
Sachse, TX
The scheme can be replicated. His intuition and ability to make in game adjustments though are what makes him so good and copying that is very difficult. If he does choose to leave, a Holgorsen to Monken type situation would be ideal.