Jim Knowles to ohio state official

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Dec 9, 2013
What is the thought on raising ticket prices to help pay assistants? For every $10 per seat per season ticket we raise roughly $500,000. After this year I don’t think any of us would miss $10/season ticket that goes into a fund directly allocated for coaches/staff. I’d even suggest $25/season ticket. With some of that going into an endowment type fund for future growth.

OSU79

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 22, 2009
Back home in God's (Green) Country
What is the thought on raising ticket prices to help pay assistants? For every $10 per seat per season ticket we raise roughly $500,000. After this year I don’t think any of us would miss $10/season ticket that goes into a fund directly allocated for coaches/staff. I’d even suggest $25/season ticket. With some of that going into an endowment type fund for future growth.
I'd go as much as $50/seat in the 100s and 200s (mine). Maybe $25 in the 300s and WEZ. $100 in the Club seats. Gotta factor in inflation!

Oct 1, 2006
USA
www.yahoo.com
I like it.

Many schools have attached donor names to certain coaching positions. It verges on silly, but if it raises some money for these premium position coach salaries then why not? I wonder if we have explored something of that sort.

OSU79

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 22, 2009
Back home in God's (Green) Country
I like it.

Many schools have attached donor names to certain coaching positions. It verges on silly, but if it raises some money for these premium position coach salaries then why not? I wonder if we have explored something of that sort.
The Phillips 66 Assistant Head Coach and Defensive Coordinator Jim Knowles.

Rolls right off the tongue.

I like it.

CowboyOrangeFan

Mmmm, yeah.
A/V Subscriber
Jun 9, 2006
Florida
The difference is Knowles was Gundy's idea; the other two not so much
That is “a” difference, not “the” difference. I agree with your sentiment, but I believe the current more mature Gundy would have been more ok with that situation at that time.

Of course, all of this just conjecture, I really don’t know if Gundy was actually bitter back then or not. That was all just message board banter if I remember correctly.

CampusCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 4, 2006
Saint Louis, MO
If they raise ticket prices and come out publicly that is direly related to funding Knowles’ salary, that would be a unique and great move. I don’t know anyone that would balk at paying a bit more if it means Knowles gets to stay. Raising ticket prices without the negative feedback.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sep 6, 2011
If they raise ticket prices and come out publicly that is direly related to funding Knowles’ salary, that would be a unique and great move. I don’t know anyone that would balk at paying a bit more if it means Knowles gets to stay. Raising ticket prices without the negative feedback.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It would have to be carefully messaged and handled all around. If they say it's for Knowles and he ends up leaving in a few years anyway with his replacement making less, then folks are going to want the prices lowered. If they say it's for assistant coaches salaries, then there's a potential internal dynamic of other assistants becoming unhappy if they aren't getting bumped in pay as well. Do the other defensive assistants get a pay bump? Lot's to work through to avoid creating unrest.

Dec 9, 2013
It would have to be carefully messaged and handled all around. If they say it's for Knowles and he ends up leaving in a few years anyway with his replacement making less, then folks are going to want the prices lowered. If they say it's for assistant coaches salaries, then there's a potential internal dynamic of other assistants becoming unhappy if they aren't getting bumped in pay as well. Do the other defensive assistants get a pay bump? Lot's to work through to avoid creating unrest.
This is important. Our entire Def staff has been a part of this. Hammer has been great w the safeties Our DL play is as good as it’s been since the 80’s. Next year we have 3 CBs in the last 3 yrs in the league (this doesn’t count Flowers and Peterson). Knowles is the evil genius but his minions are pretty dang good. They all need to be paid.

pokefan05

Country Boys Country Toys
A/V Subscriber
Dec 6, 2006
Tulsa
If I'm Gundy, I'm giving up a $1M a year to go directly to Knowles. If I'm Gundy, I know having Knowles on board and happy is my best shot at winning big in the future. Would not be surprised to see Gundy take a very public pay cut, if that is what is necessary to keep Knowles. I hope so anyway.

Nov 18, 2010
If I'm Gundy, I'm giving up a $1M a year to go directly to Knowles. If I'm Gundy, I know having Knowles on board and happy is my best shot at winning big in the future. Would not be surprised to see Gundy take a very public pay cut, if that is what is necessary to keep Knowles. I hope so anyway.
Or dip into the advertising budget and pay them both.

They've earned an extra 4+ hours national network TV time with the OSU logo proudly displayed on Saturday. If the football team wins, they've earned another 4+ hours on network TV with an even bigger audience...with the potential for a third round of seeing the OSU logo for 4+ hours with millions and millions of households watching.

Potential for 2 extra games (8+ hours) on network TV that we wouldn't have had in
a normal winning seasons/bowl year. What is that worth?

This doesn't include the bonus payouts to the school for being in the CFP