Just what we asked for . . .A QB thread

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Feb 15, 2017
Texas
All through Fall camp, most here said we'd rather lose a game or two with Spencer and build on the future than do the safe option of Drew and then be unprepared for 2020 (much like riding Corn in 2018).

We knew there would be rough spots and we may lose a game that we shouldn't. But there would be an upside.

Well, we got just what we asked for.

I'm fine with the price we paid.

Jostate

CPTNQUIRK called me a greenhorn
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
All through Fall camp, most here said we'd rather lose a game or two with Spencer and build on the future than do the safe option of Drew and then be unprepared for 2020 (much like riding Corn in 2018).

We knew there would be rough spots and we may lose a game that we shouldn't. But there would be an upside.

We'll see. Still a lot of season to go, but I don't think any of us foresaw a performance like yesterday coming. I still like the kid and he seems to have a lot of fight in him. I really want to see him battle through.

Jan 14, 2006

This is true. I think we would likely be undefeated right now with Brown. But we got what we wanted. This was exactly what we should have seen coming. Hope it's worth it down the road.

Nov 16, 2013
tractor
We don't know we would be undefeated with Brown. Sanders doesn't quit. Does he make mistakes? Absolutely he does, but they aren't for a lack of trying. There is an old coaching axiom about the number of freshmen you start being proportional to your losses and it is true. Gundy needs stay with him, he will figure it out.

Apr 14, 2008
Texas

The only caveat to your theory is that leaving Sanders in did more good than harm.
7 sacks, 3 INTs, 2 Fumbles lost, -13pts on turnovers.
That's bad.
Real bad!

Jan 14, 2006
We don't know we would be undefeated with Brown. Sanders doesn't quit. Does he make mistakes? Absolutely he does, but they aren't for a lack of trying. There is an old coaching axiom about the number of freshmen you start being proportional to your losses and it is true. Gundy needs stay with him, he will figure it out.
We absolutely don't know we would be undefeated with Brown. That's simply my opinion from seeing them both play live a couple of times.

I agree we need to stay with Sanders now and see it through.

Aug 16, 2012
I think for most here, whatever approach that was taken in regard to the QB was altered when we realized our running back this year has turned out to be better than the NFL-caliber back from last year and we have had absolutely no drop off in WR play/potential with the team leader being mentioned in comparisons to some of the greats in our past.

As was pointed out in PFB today, there are some big OSU names with similar bad games. My issue is the lack of adjustment by the staff to give the kid a chance. I want to believe somewhere in the playbook are a couple of pages with quick-fire plays that utilize other weapons and do not require SS to read the whole field every time he drops back. The only plays of this sort were the sideline screens that have not work for us in years (why do they work for others though???). We scored a TD last week with a roll-out to the CB. Wisconsin moves the ball at will with that play, a lot of others do. They did nothing to make their defense adjust their game plan and we never attacked open zones in the middle which would have kept their LBs honest.

Nov 16, 2013
tractor

The problem is found in the O-Line

Oct 7, 2015
St. Elmo, CO
Here's my take on that.

We have a bunch of guys competing each and every day at practice to play football.
Some get to substitute into the game because they've earned their play through their practices and have the confidence (somewhat) of the coaches to be inserted into the game for one we need everyone to get some experience in case of injury or bad play needing to be replaced.
Why the hell is this any different with our quarterbacks?!

You've got LD Brown substituting for Hubbard on occasion. You don't see Hubbard getting all heartbroken or insecure because he's sitting out a couple of plays.
No one else does either, because they know that other players have to be spelled and those backups want a chance to prove they can play as well.

EXCEPT for our quarterbacks. WHY?!
Dru Brown transfered to play at this university. He did his time, he worked out just like everyone else on this team, he played well enough in practices to be neck-and-neck in the quarterback competition. Doesn't he deserve to play, too? I realize his pinky was injured, but what happens now if Brown and Sanders both get injured in a worst case scenario? Are we suddenly not worried about egos and more concerned with putting the best person in there that can help us win a damn game? Or do we just close up shop and put a sign on the doors that says, "Closed for season. Be back next year."?

Play to win each and every game is what I'm wanting my coach to think and say.

If someone is having a crap game, then substitute another player that can help us win the damn game!

How freakin' hard is that to understand?!
And why do we have quarterbacks with such fragile egos that can't think for the betterment of the team that their play is a liability that day?!
WTF is so hard to understand that?!

These aren't 9 year old boys that are going to cry because they got their feelings hurt. This is college football -- it's a multi-million dollar game that a university, coaches, players and fans invest emotionally and monetarily to be a part of.

Freakin' play the game to win for everyone and not just the fragile ego of one player, GUNDY!!

Grow a pair.

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2015
St. Elmo, CO

Ah, yes...the surrender to mediocrity logic topped with the sweet, subliminal "Wait 'til next year" absolution sauce.
Hey, it's worked for years, why change now?

Oct 7, 2015
St. Elmo, CO
I will say this about Sanders -- he owned up to this horrible loss like a man and he should have. It falls on his shoulders.
And he also angrily decried that we would not lose again.

A bold, yet moving statement that I want to believe.

I wish we could hear that kind of fire and promise from our headcoach.

Jan 14, 2006
I will say this about Sanders -- he owned up to this horrible loss like a man and he should have. It falls on his shoulders.
And he also angrily decried that we would not lose again.

A bold, yet moving statement that I want to believe.

I wish we could hear that kind of fire and promise from our headcoach.
10-2 is certainly acceptable! I'm excited!

Nov 25, 2009
Kedah Malaysia
OL is still a work in progress. TT had a K-State tape to explore and a week to practice while oSu OL we celebrating the K-State success.

Football games are about eagerness, hunger, preparations, executions and momentum feeders.

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
It's a moot point, Brown is hurt so Sanders would've played vs tech anyway. I've said it several times already, it would have been nice if Sanders could've got some game experience last year.

We have much bigger problems than inexperience at QB. We seem to have serious deficiencies at several coaching positions, huge question marks on both lines and evidently no option to spell Chuba. If we could shore up even some of that, Sanders' freshman mistakes would be less glaring.

MustangPokeFan

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2005
Mustang, Ok
www.newshoesband.net
I sincerely doubt that Dru Brown would’ve played better than Spencer did in the Texas game. Yes, he had a horrendous game against Texas Tech and I wish Brown would’ve been available for a change of pace, however the entire offense was going backwards on nearly every play because the defensive line and linebackers were on top of Sanders within a second or less of when he received the snap. He was trying to force himself to do too much in light of zero pass protection. I agree with the previous poster that said this is 99% on the offensive line. Anyone was going to have a terrible game with horrendous non-protection like that. He got extremely rattled after the first two or three series and was just off for the rest of the game. He’ll come back from it, I am absolutely certain of it!

Nov 30, 2010
Tulsa, OK
We'll see. Still a lot of season to go, but I don't think any of us foresaw a performance like yesterday coming. I still like the kid and he seems to have a lot of fight in him. I really want to see him battle through.
Umm, hard to say we did not foresee this kind of performance from a Freshman in his first year of college football. Spencer Sanders still has more upside right now, than concerns as a first year starter.

Jostate

CPTNQUIRK called me a greenhorn
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
Umm, hard to say we did not foresee this kind of performance from a Freshman in his first year of college football. Spencer Sanders still has more upside right now, than concerns as a first year starter.
Down days, yes. 5 TO's in one game was a bit more than I expected.