Just what we asked for . . .A QB thread

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

TypicalGooner

Territorial Marshal
Oct 21, 2011
Norman Trailerpark
We don't know we would be undefeated with Brown. Sanders doesn't quit. Does he make mistakes? Absolutely he does, but they aren't for a lack of trying. There is an old coaching axiom about the number of freshmen you start being proportional to your losses and it is true. Gundy needs stay with him, he will figure it out.
You don’t put a quarterback on the field that isn’t ready for prime time and/or doesn’t give your team the best chance to win. Question is, did Gundy pull the trigger to prevent him from transferring? Sanders mom was notoriously outspoken about his playing time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
You don’t put a quarterback on the field that isn’t ready for prime time and/or doesn’t give your team the best chance to win. Question is, did Gundy pull the trigger to prevent him from transferring? Sanders mom was notoriously outspoken about his playing time.

Oh please, what an oversimplistic thing to say.

Feb 18, 2009
The only caveat to your theory is that leaving Sanders in did more good than harm.
7 sacks, 3 INTs, 2 Fumbles lost, -13pts on turnovers.
That's bad.
Real bad!
I wish Dru would have been healthy. Not because I want SS replaced, but it would have been nice to change it up and get him out of there. Sometimes your ace doesn't have it and you have to go to the pen early. After the second INT where the player in white had absolutely zero chance of catching it and only guys in Red could make a play, he would have been sitting with me. But it wasn't a possibility so I guess so it became a learning opportunity.

Now we have to wait and see if any lessons were actually learned. For SS and the staff.

Number 1 playing WR would also have been sitting with me when he made no attempt to go up and get a ball downfield 1 on 1. There was a defensive play that we gave up a TD on and I would have benched all 11 for a few plays. I posted in the game thread they should all quit after that TD. That was an angry comment but where we were watching, we seemed more into the game than the players.

There were a lot of things wrong Saturday. Effort and desire were the biggest. It wasn't just o line, or scheme, we didn't look like we wanted to be there playing football. Across the board. When that happens its coming from the top down.

Jostate

CPTNQUIRK called me a greenhorn
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
You don’t put a quarterback on the field that isn’t ready for prime time and/or doesn’t give your team the best chance to win.

This is the most naive crap I've seen on the net in a while. You guys successfully found several big time QB's well into their careers to transfer to your program in a row. Good for you. One day soon you'll be reminded Heisman senior QB's are not a birthright and you'll join the rest of us in reality where you have to bring QB's along just like every other player on the field. If I cared enough, I could do a little research and find you've had some great QB's who didn't hit the field a finished product too. It's just been a few years so you forget that's how the world works.

Oct 16, 2003
Edmond, OK
Statistically, Sanders is right in line with where Zac Robinson and Mason Rudolph were after 6 starts. Nobody is as good a QB from day 1 as they are in in their 3rd or 4th year. I feel really good about what I see from Sanders. He will (I believe) mature into a heck of a QB.

My only complaint about Sanders is there was an opportunity for him to play last season in 4 games. My opinion is he would have been a better QB this season if he had gotten that chance. But, Dru Brown probably would have transferred if that had been the case and we probably weren't ready to put all of our chips on Sanders at that point. Still, real shame Sander's didn't play any last season.

Oct 30, 2007
Stat lines against Texas Tech:
Taylor Cornelius: 18-38 for 258 yards passing, 0 yards rushing, 1 TD & 1 Int. (Led the offense to 17 points)
Spencer Sanders: 22-37 for 290 yards passing, 46 yards rushing, 2 TD & 3 Int. (Led the offense to 35 points)

I think you always play the player that gives you the best chance to win, but playing the older & safer choice doesn't necessarily lead to success. Our offensive struggles against Texas & Texas Tech stemmed from our inability to control the LOS. Playing Brown over Sanders doesn't fix that problem.

I think Sanders will grow from this game. He has to learn to secure the ball & minimize turnovers. He'll probably lose his starting spot if that doesn't happen.

TypicalGooner

Territorial Marshal
Oct 21, 2011
Norman Trailerpark
You don’t put a quarterback on the field that isn’t ready for prime time and/or doesn’t give your team the best chance to win.

This is the most naive crap I've seen on the net in a while. You guys successfully found several big time QB's well into their careers to transfer to your program in a row. Good for you. One day soon you'll be reminded Heisman senior QB's are not a birthright and you'll join the rest of us in reality where you have to bring QB's along just like every other player on the field. If I cared enough, I could do a little research and find you've had some great QB's who didn't hit the field a finished product too. It's just been a few years so you forget that's how the world works.
Baker, Kyler and Jalen weren’t finished products when they got to Norman. Far from it. Oklahoma happens to have the best offensive mind in college football, who is also a pretty darn good quarterback whisperer.

Also, Oklahoma’s won Heismans with quarterbacks that weren’t transfers. Just so happens, Lincoln’s pretty good at his job and puts his guys in the best situation to succeed.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
Baker, Kyler and Jalen weren’t finished products when they got to Norman. Far from it. Oklahoma happens to have the best offensive mind in college football, who is also a pretty darn good quarterback whisperer.

Also, Oklahoma’s won Heismans with quarterbacks that weren’t transfers. Just so happens, Lincoln’s pretty good at his job and puts his guys in the best situation to succeed.

No, your statement was just stupid & completely unfounded.

The greatest coaches in any sport have had guys go out & underperform their expectations, period.

Sep 21, 2019
Fargo
No, your statement was just stupid & completely unfounded.

The greatest coaches in any sport have had guys go out & underperform their expectations, period.
What I don't understand is why do even hire an offensive coordinator when we all know gundy is calling the offense. As for Sanders he is running for his life right now with our offensive line. I don't understand why they are so bad. But they are getting blown up and man handled

Nov 16, 2013
tractor

Enjoy your days with Coach Log, Jerry Jones is going to call him until he says yes.

Jostate

CPTNQUIRK called me a greenhorn
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005

Kyler Murray - Transfer T A&M
Baker Mayfield - transfer T Tech
Jalen Hurts - Bama

That's really impressive and good for Lincoln Riley. You just keep thinking that's how it works and try not be shocked when lightning doesn't strike 4 times.

Sep 16, 2004
DFW
Spencer Sanders has all the athletic gifts. What he lacks are the mental gifts. He's just not a smart qb.
Oh come on. I think it’s more maturity and development than it is capacity to learn. It’s one thing to know this stuff in your head and it’s another thing to execute it on the field. The latter usually comes with experience. Something he didn’t get much of last year.

Nov 30, 2010
Tulsa, OK
HCMG was placed in a precarious situation. Either not let SS work through this and learn, or replace him and mess with his confidence.

Would I have brought Brown in, maybe. Five turnovers is a lot. But Sanders would still know it's his job to lose.

Here are our choices, be patient with the freshman mistakes or start over next year. We made the mistake of having to go through a 2nd rebuilding season by not giving Sanders some reps last year. Do we dare make it a 3rd rebuilding season?

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2009
Dallas
I think for most here, whatever approach that was taken in regard to the QB was altered when we realized our running back this year has turned out to be better than the NFL-caliber back from last year and we have had absolutely no drop off in WR play/potential with the team leader being mentioned in comparisons to some of the greats in our past.

As was pointed out in PFB today, there are some big OSU names with similar bad games. My issue is the lack of adjustment by the staff to give the kid a chance. I want to believe somewhere in the playbook are a couple of pages with quick-fire plays that utilize other weapons and do not require SS to read the whole field every time he drops back. The only plays of this sort were the sideline screens that have not work for us in years (why do they work for others though???). We scored a TD last week with a roll-out to the CB. Wisconsin moves the ball at will with that play, a lot of others do. They did nothing to make their defense adjust their game plan and we never attacked open zones in the middle which would have kept their LBs honest.
Genius - you’re hired!