Football JW Walsh and recruiting

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Jul 31, 2008
Also I appreciate the support. I think we will have a succesful year as well but I think the ags will surprise alot of people. Back to back stellar recruiting classes will help a lot and correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't your oline very young? I think sumlin and his spread offense will finally show that old school SEC what a real offense looks like.
Unfortunately, you will probably be right. Arkansas runs a similar offense and ended up the 3rd best in the SEC last year. If A&M can pull their stuff together they have a chance since they'll be like the old days of Tech in the Big 12 - i.e. the other teams don't see that offense enough to prepare for it and get beat. The wide-open-spread is a great equalizer in talent and depth.

Jul 31, 2008
You have to look at the opportunity cost there. What is the cost of offering him a scholarship when there is a very, very good chance he isn't going to come to your school? Virtually nothing. What is the cost of not offering him a scholarship? Being cut out of one of the best talent-producing schools in Dallas. In that scenario, there is only one school that has to bite the bullet and put him on their roster, while there are multiple schools who can offer him a scholarship and keep themselves in the good graces of his father. In this case, you take the chance he won't commit to you, and offer him.

I only saw Samples play once, and he was not impressive. True top recruits stand out to you on the field, because they're often the best player on the field. Samples was never that guy. He was a pretty good possession receiver, but those are dime a dozen in Texas high school ranks.
Exactly why you are not a college recruiter. You make poor judgement calls on little data.

Feb 4, 2004
Williamsburg, IA
You have to look at the opportunity cost there. What is the cost of offering him a scholarship when there is a very, very good chance he isn't going to come to your school? Virtually nothing. What is the cost of not offering him a scholarship? Being cut out of one of the best talent-producing schools in Dallas. In that scenario, there is only one school that has to bite the bullet and put him on their roster, while there are multiple schools who can offer him a scholarship and keep themselves in the good graces of his father. In this case, you take the chance he won't commit to you, and offer him.

I only saw Samples play once, and he was not impressive. True top recruits stand out to you on the field, because they're often the best player on the field. Samples was never that guy. He was a pretty good possession receiver, but those are dime a dozen in Texas high school ranks.
He averaged 21 yards per catch and had 19 touchdowns his Junior season and that equates to a possession receiver? I am a little skeptical of your analysis, but only time will tell for any of us.

Beergut

Greenhorn
Jul 13, 2012
He averaged 21 yards per catch and had 19 touchdowns his Junior season and that equates to a possession receiver? I am a little skeptical of your analysis, but only time will tell for any of us.
No, lack of breakaway speed at the high school level equals a possession receiver at the college level. He benefited a lot from playing on the same field as Thomas Johnson.

Beergut

Greenhorn
Jul 13, 2012
Exactly why you are not a college recruiter. You make poor judgement calls on little data.
Seriously? How many times do you think college coaches watch highlight videos or game film before they make a decision on a player? If you don't stand out, that's it, move on to the next guy. I don't think you truly realize the numbers you are dealing with. There are 125 Division I-A football programs right now. With a scholarship limit of 85, that means there are 10,625 scholarships among all DI-A programs. There are 1000 high schools in Texas alone. You really underestimate the number of high school football players vying for those scholarships.

osuwhit

Cutting the grass and listening to Van Halen rap.
A/V Subscriber
Jun 16, 2011
KCMO
Would it be weird to you if this was the only game I had ever watched Ryan Swope play.. and then told everyone at texags that he sucked?
http://espn.go.com/ncf/boxscore?gameId=313280245

OSUMIKE17

Property of The Oklahoman and NewsOk.com
A/V Subscriber
Apr 11, 2009
Tulsa
Watching one game equals enough evidence to make informed opinions about a player in Aggieland.

Obviously not delusional.

Not at all.

RutherfordFan

Federal Marshal
Feb 5, 2008
Oklahoma City
No, lack of breakaway speed at the high school level equals a possession receiver at the college level. He benefited a lot from playing on the same field as Thomas Johnson.
I'm glad we got samples I think he will be a productive WR. That said I think Josh Stewart is better than he is based on what I saw on film. Just being honest but glad we got Samples I think he'll be a nice player.

Jul 31, 2008
Seriously? How many times do you think college coaches watch highlight videos or game film before they make a decision on a player? If you don't stand out, that's it, move on to the next guy. I don't think you truly realize the numbers you are dealing with. There are 125 Division I-A football programs right now. With a scholarship limit of 85, that means there are 10,625 scholarships among all DI-A programs. There are 1000 high schools in Texas alone. You really underestimate the number of high school football players vying for those scholarships.
Uhhh, about 100X what you do.

Oct 27, 2010
Watching one game equals enough evidence to make informed opinions about a player in Aggieland.

Obviously not delusional.

Not at all.
I don't think he ever said he was an expert. I asked him for his analysis based on the information he had which is more than any of us. No need to take personal shots at the guy. I hope samples turns out to be a stud and I don't think I buy the fact that all these schools would just offer him if they didn't think he would be able to be a player, but that's just his opinion. Y'all need to chill though.

OSUMIKE17

A/V Subscriber
Apr 11, 2009
Tulsa
I don't think he ever said he was an expert. I asked him for his analysis based on the information he had which is more than any of us. No need to take personal shots at the guy. I hope samples turns out to be a stud and I don't think I buy the fact that all these schools would just offer him if they didn't think he would be able to be a player, but that's just his opinion. Y'all need to chill though.
Trust me. The guy is known on many boards for this act. And no, he does not have more information than any of us. He is the type of ATM fan that gives their fanbase the reputation that it has.

Oct 27, 2010
Trust me. The guy is known on many boards for this act. And no, he does not have more information than any of us. He is the type of ATM fan that gives their fanbase the reputation that it has.

Oh I guess you failed to mention that you have seen samples play in person...

Jan 28, 2008
OKC, OK
Quality always comes to the top. He could have done an aggy and taken his toys elsewhere. Instead he decided to compete, and that shows his character. You never know in life when it looks hopeless, and all of a sudden it is a completely different situation for you, or you can work to change it yourself. He is a cowboy in my opinion, through and through, and I am glad that he is.
Totally agree w/ you. This kid has shown great character. He may be great college coaching material on down the road.

OSUMIKE17

A/V Subscriber
Apr 11, 2009
Tulsa
Oh I guess you failed to mention that you have seen samples play in person...
No, but the coaches have. And they seem to think he is good enough to offer a scholarship...along with a dozen other coaches from very respectable programs. I think I'll trust their judgement a lot more than some butthurt ATM messageboard fan.

Anything else, cupcake?

RutherfordFan

Federal Marshal
Feb 5, 2008
Oklahoma City
haha I'm with you OSUMike. I just saw his ESPN film, Samples looked much more explosive in that video than in the Rivals video. He looked like just a solid WR in the rivals video. Looked better in the ESPN video I just saw yesterday afternoon. Just my opinion.

I have a feeling Josh Stewart could be better than Samples, but that isn't taking anything away from Samples I think he will be a good player.

Oct 27, 2010
No, but the coaches have. And they seem to think he is good enough to offer a scholarship...along with a dozen other coaches from very respectable programs. I think I'll trust their judgement a lot more than some butthurt ATM messageboard fan.

Anything else, cupcake?

ya, couple things actually. 1. Not sure what it is about you and trying to sound like a tough guy while hiding behind a computer screen, but just so you know, its not doing it for me. 2. If you had read any of my posts, you'll see that I don't disagree with you. I think that if all of those top programs are offering Samples, than its not just because they want access to recruiting and to please his dad. I also think now a days anyone has access to a blog and can say whatever they want. I asked for miketag's analysis, not because i believed it, but so that I could get more insight into why he said what he did in his blog. he actually saw the kid play, and last I checked i dont have direct contact with the coaching staff to ask them why they offered him. Not much more to this than that. 3. So in conclusion stop being an tool, because quite frankly you are just embarrassing yourself and my school.

OSUMIKE17

A/V Subscriber
Apr 11, 2009
Tulsa
ya, couple things actually. 1. Not sure what it is about you and trying to sound like a tough guy while hiding behind a computer screen, but just so you know, its not doing it for me. 2. If you had read any of my posts, you'll see that I don't disagree with you. I think that if all of those top programs are offering Samples, than its not just because they want access to recruiting and to please his dad. I also think now a days anyone has access to a blog and can say whatever they want. I asked for miketag's analysis, not because i believed it, but so that I could get more insight into why he said what he did in his blog. he actually saw the kid play, and last I checked i dont have direct contact with the coaching staff to ask them why they offered him. Not much more to this than that. 3. So in conclusion stop being an tool, because quite frankly you are just embarrassing yourself and my school.
1. You're so cute. Please let me know what does it for you. ;)
2. If you don't disagree with me then why are you arguing with me? Why do you want more analysis from a guy with a blog that even you discredited?
3. Bless your heart. Have a great day!

Noven

'Neer Deez Nutz
A/V Subscriber
Sep 27, 2010
I don't feel like he's embarrassing my school. Speak for yourself.