Kasey Dunn

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Sep 22, 2011
I'm still waiting to have more of a traditional TE presence with multiple receivers challenging the middle of the field 5-15 yards down. Hells bells, send Cassity and Presley across there in various forms throughout the game. But, I suppose we're stuck with the same six basic fundamental play formats.
Yeah, I dont know what our issue is with throwing it over the middle, when we do it works, just don't do it much, dez, blackmon and washington were masters of the deep in, you have to mix it in with the comeback to keep the corners honest

Cimarron

It's not dying I'm talking about, it's living.
Jun 28, 2007
"Get this thing ready to rock and roll, AGAIN".
When he said that I was like "huh".

When I think of rock and rolling, this comes to mind.

rock and roll.jpg

Not this....

Screenshot 2021-09-20 075653.jpg

I'm happy with the win, but Dunn better be thankful we've got a defense that saves his bacon.

We had I think a little more than 21 minutes of possession in the second half and couldn't put a point a single on the scoreboard?

Cimarron

It's not dying I'm talking about, it's living.
Jun 28, 2007
Yeah, I dont know what our issue is with throwing it over the middle, when we do it works, just don't do it much, dez, blackmon and washington were masters of the deep in, you have to mix it in with the comeback to keep the corners honest
A couple things, we don't have Dez, Blackmon, or Washington on the roster. And I'm not convinced Sanders can read the defense well enough to make those throws.

Sep 23, 2010
We appear to be afraid to be aggressive with Sanders out there. It seems we are too worried about him turning it over. Most third and longs were qb keepers. Sad thing is Sanders isn't running the ball as well as he has in years past.

What happened to all the fun stuff in the last year's bowl game?

Sep 12, 2013
Broken Arrow, OK
We appear to be afraid to be aggressive with Sanders out there. It seems we are too worried about him turning it over. Most third and longs were qb keepers. Sad thing is Sanders isn't running the ball as well as he has in years past.

What happened to all the fun stuff in the last year's bowl game?
I wonder if he has a minor injury. He does have a history there. It could also just be the coaching staff wants to keep those running plays in their back pocket for now.

Nov 2, 2004
Broken Arrow
Other than MY obsession with WR screens to the shortside of the field him, Gleason and Dunn all look exactly the same. No throws over the middle, no throws to the TE, very few RB screens or wheel routes, no misdirection handoffs or sweeps.

All runs up the middle, long throws outside the numbers and 50/50 go routes.

So don't blame Dunn when we know who is holding the leash.

Jul 5, 2020
Broken Arrow
A couple things, we don't have Dez, Blackmon, or Washington on the roster. And I'm not convinced Sanders can read the defense well enough to make those throws.
If Sanders cannot throw a simple, relatively safe pass 5-15 yards across the middle, we have a genuinely SERIOUS concern at QB on our hands. Such a slant or drag route in our offense is actually more of a safe throw than those moronic sideline throws that nearly get picked every time when it's not hitting the ground in front of the receiver.

Jun 20, 2013
Using adversity as an excuse. Throwing it 13 times in a game is not giving anyone, including a QB who needs the confidence, a chance.....The least we could have done is run outs, slants, and curls. We have yet to put our players in a position to succeed or grow this year...
I was praying for a single play action pass saturday. They were keying hard on the run. A nice zac robinson naked boot would have been slick too with Sander's ability to run.

Jun 20, 2013
Other than MY obsession with WR screens to the shortside of the field him, Gleason and Dunn all look exactly the same. No throws over the middle, no throws to the TE, very few RB screens or wheel routes, no misdirection handoffs or sweeps.

I love that Blake Jarwin and Jelani Woods are having great years, proving how much we've wasted TE talent since pettigrew graduated.

Jun 20, 2013
I wonder if he has a minor injury. He does have a history there. It could also just be the coaching staff wants to keep those running plays in their back pocket for now.
They weren't keeping much in their back pocket. Injuries aside, without some help from the stripes, the game ends a totally different way, and we have a quiet plane ride home with a depressing outlook for the season.

This was our depth chart going into the season. Assuming Martin & Bray make it back, we could have 7 of our top 9 receivers on the field against K-State. That should allow us to get a better read on how good Coach Dunn and this offense are going to be this season.

View attachment 92162
Doesn’t matter if same QB is played, he will continue to give the ball to the other team. Need to also move on at the QB position for the best chance to win in the Big 12.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wait a minute how many times did Sanders turn it over Saturday?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
0 but they barely called any passing plays. I don’t care who the receivers are, a good QB can make receivers better! Coaches don’t trust SS to not throw picks. He can’t throw the ball to the middle of the field without turning it over or getting close to it. Somehow for the first time he held on to the ball in the run game but that is not a given either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheMonkey

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 16, 2004
DFW
0 but they barely called any passing plays. I don’t care who the receivers are, a good QB can make receivers better! Coaches don’t trust SS to not throw picks. He can’t throw the ball to the middle of the field without turning it over or getting close to it. Somehow for the first time he held on to the ball in the run game but that is not a given either.
That’s funny, because a lot of our offensive success has involved having Biletnikoff winners catching balls and scoring touchdowns. Quarterbacks can’t create separation. They can’t catch the ball for the receiver. They can’t help them get more YAC. They can look off defenders, read defenses, work through progressions, etc… but I think WR injuries and lack of experience there obviously handicapped our offense the last two games.

Bottom line: I care who the receivers are… a lot!

Dec 2, 2008
SC
That’s funny, because a lot of our offensive success has involved having Biletnikoff winners catching balls and scoring touchdowns. Quarterbacks can’t create separation. They can’t catch the ball for the receiver. They can’t help them get more YAC. They can look off defenders, read defenses, work through progressions, etc… but I think WR injuries and lack of experience there obviously handicapped our offense the last two games.

Bottom line: I care who the receivers are… a lot!
Sanders can’t read a defense

kaboy42

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2007

Where'd that little inside forward shovel pass to the slot play go that use to be pretty damned successful? When and who was the last receiver to get their # called on that? Josh Stewart maybe? I seriously can't recall.

TheMonkey

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 16, 2004
DFW
More wide open than the passing game we’ve been implementing since Monken left.
Sounds like a Georgia fan to me.

Monken was our WR coach before becoming OC. He had 2x Biletnikoff winner Justin Blackmon when he was our OC.

He probably cared who we had at WR.

Thanks for making my point.

Dec 2, 2008
SC
Sounds like a Georgia fan to me.

Monken was our WR coach before becoming OC. He had 2x Biletnikoff winner Justin Blackmon when he was our OC.

He probably cared who we had at WR.

Thanks for making my point.
He actually ran routes across the middle of the field just like REAL OC’s before him.