Lordy, add St. Peters Sweet 16 to 17 long years and counting

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Sep 24, 2011
The once proud OSU basketball program is mired in mediocrity. 17 years since a Sweet 16. Just two tourney wins total. 4 coaches, same results. For perspective, our last Sweet 16 was Gundy’s first year.

Every current Big 12 team has made it in the last 17 years except OSU and TCU.

Some of the Sweet 16 teams in the last 17 years: Wichita State, Xavier, Northern Iowa, Butler, Loyola Chi, Florida Gulf Coast, Davidson, Lasalle, Bradley, Illinois State, George Mason, Nevada, Cornell.

It is not facilities. It is not money. It is not players. It is coaching. Our choices of coaches has proved poor for all sorts of reasons. Unless Weiberg can get this right, we can cut and paste this post 17 years from now.

Mar 8, 2010
The once proud OSU basketball program is mired in mediocrity. 17 years since a Sweet 16. Just two tourney wins total. 4 coaches, same results. For perspective, our last Sweet 16 was Gundy’s first year.

Some of the Sweet 16 teams in the last 17 years: Wichita State, Xavier, Northern Iowa, Butler, Loyola Chi, Florida Gulf Coast, Davidson, Lasalle, Bradley, Illinois State, George Mason, Nevada, Cornell.

It is not facilities. It is not money. It is not players. It is coaching. Our choices of coaches has proved poor for all sorts of reasons. Unless Weiberg can get this right, we can cut and paste this post 17 years from now.
Seems like it’s really hard to excel at both basketball and football at the same time. Ask Auburn right now. Few seem to be able to do it. We only did it once in the 40’s. But then again, how in the world can someone like Baylor do it?

andylicious

Territorial Marshal
Nov 16, 2013
tractor
The day they hired Ford was the day the dribble died. Why Holder decided to not build us into a basketball and football school I will never understand.

CowboyHoopsPride

Territorial Marshal
Feb 18, 2009
The day they hired Ford was the day the dribble died. Why Holder decided to not build us into a basketball and football school I will never understand.
No - it was the day Eddie fell off the wagon. Followed by his son’s struggles. We were in big trouble before Ford was hired and extended.

Aug 7, 2006
In hindsight, Travis Ford ended up being a bad hire, but at the time he was considered one of the rising stars in coaching. He turned down LSU and Providence(I think) before we hired him that year. He just ended up not being the right coach. The 10 year contract was the biggest mistake he made with the basketball program.

Jan 21, 2006
Boulder
I think it was on life support under Sean. The problems had actually begun with Eddie's 2005 #1 recruiting class. Only two guys from that group played 4 yrs. I recall Eddie saying "these guys just don't get it".

Jun 20, 2013
No - it was the day Eddie fell off the wagon. Followed by his son’s struggles. We were in big trouble before Ford was hired and extended.
This times 1000. Eddie was a great coach for us, and accomplished some fantastic things. Our fanbase completely gives him a pass, and especially Sean. Picking your coach up out of a parking lot is not a good thing. The fact that the succession plan we had put in place had to be completely abandoned caused us to act more desperate in our next hire/contract.

Sep 12, 2008
This times 1000. Eddie was a great coach for us, and accomplished some fantastic things. Our fanbase completely gives him a pass, and especially Sean. Picking your coach up out of a parking lot is not a good thing. The fact that the succession plan we had put in place had to be completely abandoned caused us to act more desperate in our next hire/contract.
Picking your coach up out of a parking lot and then letting him drive off was an even worse thing.

Last edited:

More Cowbell

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2005
Highland Village, TX
I'm not doom and gloom. I like our coaches and I like our players. They fight, they defend, they go after loose balls.

If you look at this season, we have been 1 clutch bucket/free throw/call away from several more Ws. Right now, there are no easy games in the conference to make us feel better about things. Heck, the last place team, Iowa State, is 13-0 in nonconference.

We need to shoot better or add a shooting PG. Our bigs are athletic but can add some mass. We are not THAT far away.

PokeJ

Territorial Marshal
Oct 27, 2003
McKinney, TX
Visit site

We can go all the way back to the day Mr Iba retired. Almost 60 years. If Eddie hadn’t been fired at Kentucky and fallen out of grace we wouldn’t have had those years. Every coach and AD has failed during those time periods regarding basketball. Hard to blame it on Wieberg and Boynton

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

andylicious

Territorial Marshal
Nov 16, 2013
tractor
That is not untrue, but Holder's choice to irradicate any of the tree of Sutton or Iba by bringing in a guy that was an egotist from Kentucky was a definite move that caused continued irreparable damage to the program. Eddie and Sean forfeited their opportunity to right the ship but going that far away from the tradition had a chilling effect.

I believe that we need to stick with Boynton. I like Boynton, does he need to step up his coaching some is not in doubt. The program has been in a holding pattern since Underwood brought in Evans and screwed us over.

Sep 11, 2021
Wisconsin
I'm not doom and gloom. I like our coaches and I like our players. They fight, they defend, they go after loose balls.

If you look at this season, we have been 1 clutch bucket/free throw/call away from several more Ws. Right now, there are no easy games in the conference to make us feel better about things. Heck, the last place team, Iowa State, is 13-0 in nonconference.

We need to shoot better or add a shooting PG. Our bigs are athletic but can add some mass. We are not THAT far away.
If HCMB can figure out how to teach his players to shoot well, he'll be very successful. Good shooting 10 percent talent and 90 percent practice.

Dec 2, 2008
SC
That is not untrue, but Holder's choice to irradicate any of the tree of Sutton or Iba by bringing in a guy that was an egotist from Kentucky was a definite move that caused continued irreparable damage to the program. Eddie and Sean forfeited their opportunity to right the ship but going that far away from the tradition had a chilling effect.

I believe that we need to stick with Boynton. I like Boynton, does he need to step up his coaching some is not in doubt. The program has been in a holding pattern since Underwood brought in Evans and screwed us over.
Who were his choices to hire from the Sutton/Iba tree?

Dec 26, 2011
Stillwater
As a lifelong OSU fan who grew up going to the old GIA and fell in love with the early 2000s teams, it saddens me to see "this." i'm not talking about the product on the floor; I'm talking about why y'all care.

We pay millions and suck. And then we lose out on the best football coordinator we've ever had because we can't afford to pay him $500,000 more. I'd rather be in a position to compete with the best in football. We have to choose....

Going forward our athletic program will make about half as much money as the SEC and BIG. We just can't affford to be nationally competitive across the board. I choose to be great at football or die trying. And I (strongly) think any OSU fan who disagrees is holding us back.

Aug 19, 2006
A lot of this is just an unfortunate twist of fate. There wasn't much difference between Travis Ford and Scott Drew when each was hired. Both were considered up and comers but had a limited track record at that point in their respective careers.

Baylor hit on their guy and we didn't. If Ford had turned out to be the guy Holder thought he could be, our program would be in a very different place now.

Last edited:

andylicious

Territorial Marshal
Nov 16, 2013
tractor
As a lifelong OSU fan who grew up going to the old GIA and fell in love with the early 2000s teams, it saddens me to see "this." i'm not talking about the product on the floor; I'm talking about why y'all care.

We pay millions and suck. And then we lose out on the best football coordinator we've ever had because we can't afford to pay him $500,000 more. I'd rather be in a position to compete with the best in football. We have to choose....

Going forward our athletic program will make about half as much money as the SEC and BIG. We just can't affford to be nationally competitive across the board. I choose to be great at football or die trying. And I (strongly) think any OSU fan who disagrees is holding us back.
I think the basketball ship has sailed. Football, baseball, softball and golf are where it's at. I'm not sure where wrestling is going.

OSU79

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 22, 2009
Back home in God's (Green) Country
We can go all the way back to the day Mr Iba retired. Almost 60 years. If Eddie hadn’t been fired at Kentucky and fallen out of grace we wouldn’t have had those years. Every coach and AD has failed during those time periods regarding basketball. Hard to blame it on Wieberg and Boynton
The day Mr. Iba retired? I looked it up a while back, because I knew it was true but didn't know the numbers: Mr. Iba was well below .500 his last TEN YEARS as our coach. He was a great coach in the '40s and '50s, and I love that he was ours, but our mediocrity definitely began on his watch. We got a reprieve with Eddie, but we've been quite average (or less) for 60 years surrounding his tenure.