Lordy, add St. Peters Sweet 16 to 17 long years and counting

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Oct 7, 2012
Who knows. But for reference here are some selected and cherry-picked stats:
Eddie - 1st 8 years (5 w/Creighton, 3 w/Ark) - 2 NCAA appearances, 2 20-w seasons, 67% win percentage
Coach K - 1st 8 years (5 w/Army and 3 w/Duke) - No NCAA appearances, 2 20-w seasons, 51% win percentage
Scott Drew - 1st 6 years @Baylor - 1 NCAA appearance, 2 20-w seasons, 46% win percentage
Mike Boynton - 1st "4.8" years @osu - 1 NCAA appearance, 2 20-w seasons, 54% win percentage
Interesting and valid. thanks

Jun 20, 2013
Eddie - 1st 8 years (5 w/Creighton, 3 w/Ark) - 2 NCAA appearances, 2 20-w seasons, 67% win percentage
Coach K - 1st 8 years (5 w/Army and 3 w/Duke) - No NCAA appearances, 2 20-w seasons, 51% win percentage
Scott Drew - 1st 6 years @Baylor - 1 NCAA appearance, 2 20-w seasons, 46% win percentage
Mike Boynton - 1st "4.8" years @osu - 1 NCAA appearance, 2 20-w seasons, 54% win percentage
I agree the biggest question mark is whether Boynton will take a Scott Drew turn or a Travis Ford turn. Scott Drew had gobs of talent, and was often thought to be a dufus in the first half of his tenure at baylor. The last 4-5 years have changed that perception drastically.

He seems to have all the intangibles, and a high EQ, which I think eventually translate.

LS1 Z28

Territorial Marshal
Oct 30, 2007
Perspective is needed for this comparison.

Army has never made the NCAA Tournament in the 120 year history of their program. Coach K inherited a program coming off of 5 straight losing seasons. They were 3-22 the year before he took over. He greatly elevated the level of the Army program, despite the fact that he didn't make the NCAA Tournament.

Creighton was coming off of 3 straight losing seasons when they hired Eddie Sutton. He elevated the success level immediately by having 5 straight winning seasons and getting them back to the NCAA Tournament.

Scott Drew inherited a Baylor program that had been decimated by the Dave Bliss scandal. They barely had enough players to field a team his first year after the mass exodus of players that resulted in JL3 landing in Stillwater. Despite his extremely difficult circumstances, he still had Baylor in the NCAA Tournament by his 5th season.

The common theme between Coach K, Coach Sutton, and Coach Drew is that they all significantly improved their programs over their first 5 years. Has Coach Boynton done the same thing at OSU?

Last edited:

gundysburner

Territorial Marshal
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO

Army has never made the NCAA Tournament in the 120 year history of their program. Coach K inherited a program coming off of 5 straight losing seasons. They were 3-22 the year before he took over. He greatly elevated the level of the Army program, despite the fact that he didn't make the NCAA Tournament.

Creighton was coming off of 3 straight losing seasons when they hired Eddie Sutton. He elevated the success level immediately by having 5 straight winning seasons and getting them back to the NCAA Tournament.

Scott Drew inherited a Baylor program that had been decimated by the Dave Bliss scandal. They barely had enough players to field a team his first year after the mass exodus of players that resulted in JL3 landing in Stillwater. Despite his extremely difficult circumstances, he still had Baylor in the NCAA Tournament by his 5th season.

The common theme between Coach K, Coach Sutton, and Coach Drew is that they steadily improved their programs over their first 5 years. Has Coach Boynton done the same thing at OSU?
I hear alot of wishing and hoping for success here. People who love the program, like the coach, and just want it all to work out well for everyone involved. Completely understandable, but feels like thoughts fueled more by emotion than performance or results.

jetman

Federal Marshal
Nov 27, 2004
Edmond Oklahoma
The common theme between Coach K, Coach Sutton, and Coach Drew is that they steadily improved their programs over their first 5 years. Has Coach Boynton done the same thing at OSU?
No. He's not doing any better than Travis Ford. Results are pretty close to identical.

andylicious

Territorial Marshal
Nov 16, 2013
tractor
If we use the football yardstick of success HCMB is definitely better than Ford, definitely better than Sean, and better than Hamilton just based on his goon beat downs.

Nov 8, 2013

The common theme between Coach K, Coach Sutton, and Coach Drew is that they all significantly improved their programs over their first 5 years. Has Coach Boynton done the same thing at OSU?
Agree perspective is needed. The OSU basketball perspective is evident in the title of this thread. Can't lay that all on Boynton.

OSUCowboy787

Territorial Marshal
Dec 31, 2008
Keller, Texas
We don't really have a legitimate big man either. We haven't since HCMB has been here. We have guys that play the 5 now who at BEST should be a 4. I can't remember the last time we had a true center. We seem to always have to utilize 4's and try to make them fit into the 5 spot.

CowboyHoopsPride

Territorial Marshal
Feb 18, 2009
We don't really have a legitimate big man either. We haven't since HCMB has been here. We have guys that play the 5 now who at BEST should be a 4. I can't remember the last time we had a true center. We seem to always have to utilize 4's and try to make them fit into the 5 spot.
With the exception of a limited few, the traditional big man 5 is as myth in college basketball. The best teams have the best guards, not the best big guys. We do not have a true PG and our SG’s can’t shoot.

LS1 Z28

Territorial Marshal
Oct 30, 2007
Agree perspective is needed. The OSU basketball perspective is evident in the title of this thread. Can't lay that all on Boynton.
No doubt. Coach Boynton inherited a program that had been to the NCAA tournament in 3 of its previous 4 years, but he also inherited an NCAA investigation and eventual sanctions.

We'll see what happens. I certainly hope that you are right. 24/7 is predicting that we have a 85% chance of landing a commitment from McD AA Anthony Black. He's a 6'-7" point guard with an NBA skillset. Our program could be much better next year if we land him and he makes a big impact.

Nov 8, 2013
Can't lay the success or failure of a team on the head coach?
This is a rebuild job, agree? Not only that, but a rebuild in the midst of an NCAA sanctions process operating in molasses. A rebuild in the midst of a pandemic that has hindered utilizing one of our best assets - GIA.

Despite all of that, our guy has gotten us to the tournament. A win in the tournament. A #1 pick. A winning Bedlam record and *attitude*. A classy culture.

Go ahead and continue with your "Sweet Sixteen right away" hopes and dreams. (I know that's not a quote and that sounds worse or more attacking in writing than I mean for it to).

gundysburner

Territorial Marshal
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
This is a rebuild job, agree? Not only that, but a rebuild in the midst of an NCAA sanctions process operating in molasses. A rebuild in the midst of a pandemic that has hindered utilizing one of our best assets - GIA.

Despite all of that, our guy has gotten us to the tournament. A win in the tournament. A #1 pick. A winning Bedlam record and *attitude*. A classy culture.

Go ahead and continue with your "Sweet Sixteen right away" hopes and dreams. (I know that's not a quote and that sounds worse or more attacking in writing than I mean for it to).
Yes, because I question the direction of the program, it's Sweet Sixteen or bust for me.

The 'rebuilding and investigation' runway has been used here, there's none of that left. I want Boynton to succeed as much as anybody, I just think it's time to see more evidence the program's heading anywhere in the right direction to become consistently good.

Oct 16, 2003
Edmond, OK
I think the program was in such trouble post Underwood with pending sanctions, that no credible Coach was going to come to Stillwater. We had to hire (with all due respect to HCMB) a nobody that would keep the ship afloat until we navigated the NCAA sanctions. In that regard, HCMB has probably exceeded expectations.

I've always acknowledged his recruiting abilities. He seems like a really decent guy who is good for his players and the program. We've gotten what we paid for. Is HCMB the guy to get us back to the Final Four? I hope he turns out to be, but the jury is most definitely still out on that one. But honestly, do we really have a long list of successors to consider at this point? I doubt it...

gundysburner

Territorial Marshal
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
I think the program was in such trouble post Underwood with pending sanctions, that no credible Coach was going to come to Stillwater. We had to hire (with all due respect to HCMB) a nobody that would keep the ship afloat until we navigated the NCAA sanctions. In that regard, HCMB has probably exceeded expectations.

I've always acknowledged his recruiting abilities. He seems like a really decent guy who is good for his players and the program. We've gotten what we paid for. Is HCMB the guy to get us back to the Final Four? I hope he turns out to be, but the jury is most definitely still out on that one. But honestly, do we really have a long list of successors to consider at this point? I doubt it...
Having realistic expectations on who you can actually get as a head coach is key, sure. Having the mindset of who would want this job, however, can lead to years of mediocrity. Who'll be on that list of successors after two, three more years of this?

jetman

Federal Marshal
Nov 27, 2004
Edmond Oklahoma

Wait what? I don't remember anyone knowing about any pending sanctions when Underwood left and Boynton was hired. Might check your timeline on that one. As far as everyone knew, we were doing just fine at the time.