Lunardi 2-16-17 hot off the press

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

OrangeForever

Member of the SAS
Dec 8, 2007
I'd be disappointed if WSU were seeded as an 8-seed in Tulsa over a No. 8 Oklahoma State given OSU beat the absolute dog out of them this season on a non-neutral court.

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
I'd be disappointed if WSU were seeded as an 8-seed in Tulsa over a No. 8 Oklahoma State given OSU beat the absolute dog out of them this season on a non-neutral court.
I thought the same thing at first but then I realized that they won't put us in a bracket where we play KU or BU in the 2nd game. So if those two get to Tulsa, then we probably don't.

Oct 26, 2003
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
OSU will not go to Tulsa regardless of how they end the season. AT LEAST one of KU or BU will be in Tulsa, likely both. Due to NCAA Tourney scheduling restraints, this will prevent OSU from being able to play in Tulsa.

OrangeForever

Member of the SAS
Dec 8, 2007
I thought the same thing at first but then I realized that they won't put us in a bracket where we play KU or BU in the 2nd game. So if those two get to Tulsa, then we probably don't.
OSU will not go to Tulsa regardless of how they end the season. AT LEAST one of KU or BU will be in Tulsa, likely both. Due to NCAA Tourney scheduling restraints, this will prevent OSU from being able to play in Tulsa.
Ah, yeah, you're right on all that. I forgot all that junk. But still. Buffalo. Gross.

Nov 16, 2013
tractor
This is the weirdest thing. As I watch my pokes in close games, I expect us to win. Am I crazy? Is this an episode of the twilight zone?
Its called expectations. Do all the teams in Tulsa have to be in the same Regional? I thought they could put the first two rounds where they think they will get the best crowds, they just have to have four teams from one region and four teams from another region. I'm probably wrong.

OSU79

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 22, 2009
Back home in God's (Green) Country
Its called expectations. Do all the teams in Tulsa have to be in the same Regional? I thought they could put the first two rounds where they think they will get the best crowds, they just have to have four teams from one region and four teams from another region. I'm probably wrong.

I believe you are correct (not positive). If we are right, we could be in Tulsa if either ku or bu is there, but not if both are there.

Mar 31, 2011
I think Palm releases his later today, but his most recent take on OSU was this:

Oklahoma State completed the season sweep of TCU. The Cowboys only have one victory against a sure tournament team, but four against fellow fence-sitters. Their home schedule is relatively favorable, save the season-ender against Kansas. OSU isn’t far from being in a comfortable spot on Selection Sunday.

Jul 8, 2006
norman
I think Palm releases his later today, but his most recent take on OSU was this:

Oklahoma State completed the season sweep of TCU. The Cowboys only have one victory against a sure tournament team, but four against fellow fence-sitters. Their home schedule is relatively favorable, save the season-ender against Kansas. OSU isn’t far from being in a comfortable spot on Selection Sunday.
Does Palm not consider the total beatdown of Wichita State at their place??

Last edited:

Poke4Christ

Federal Marshal
Aug 2, 2005
Edmond, OK
I believe you are correct (not positive). If we are right, we could be in Tulsa if either ku or bu is there, but not if both are there.
Yeah, I actually think this is right. There used to be a requirement that teams from the same conference could not be able to meet until the sweet 16. However, I think they did away with it.

Edit: okay, I found the rules here. At first read I wasn't following so I'll let someone else decipher it.

Each of the first four teams selected from a conference shall be placed in different regions if they are seeded on the first four lines.

Teams from the same conference shall not meet prior to the regional final if they played each other three or more times during the regular season and conference tournament.

Teams from the same conference shall not meet prior to the regional semifinals if they played each other twice during the regular season and conference tournament.

Teams from the same conference may play each other as early as the second round if they played no more than once during the regular season and conference tournament.

Any principle can be relaxed if two or more teams from the same conference are among the last four at-large seeded teams participating in the First Four.

To recognize the demonstrated quality of such teams, the committee shall not place teams seeded on the first four lines at a potential “home-crowd disadvantage” in the first round.
http://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball...-bracket-how-68-teams-are-selected-division-i

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
This is true but if KU and BU are both 1 seeds and both in Tulsa then they already would have four teams from one region and four from another. Even if Baylor drops to a 2 seed I suspect it will be the same.

Oct 26, 2003
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
At this point, Baylor & KU have all but locked up the Tulsa regional. They have played & earned their way there. Baylor isn't likely to drop below a 4 see barring a huge collapse. KU likely wins the conference again & that will guarantee them the Tulsa Regional.