1. You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Lunardi 2-16-17 hot off the press

Discussion in 'OSU Sports Forum' started by POISON, Feb 16, 2017.

1. cowboycramer

cowboycramer Deputy

Correct. I can see Baylor falling and us as an 8 in the South bracket where Dayton sits currently. However, if we can't be in Tulsa, I hope we do well in the next few weeks and wind up the 6 seed in Indy! More alumni there than Buffalo!

2. ScooberJake

ScooberJake Territorial Marshal

This.

Plus, don't we have a history of poor tournament showings in the East? Anyone know where we started our Final Four runs?

3. superpoke

superpoke Territorial Marshal

Actually, our tournament history out of the East Region has been pretty good. Since Eddie's first season back, we've been sent there seven times. Here's how we've done:

1991 - Sweet Sixteen
    1995 - Final Four
    2000 - Elite Eight
    2001 - First Round
    2003 - Second Round
    2004 - Final Four (as the East Rutherford regional)
    2009 - Second Round

• Like Like x 4
  4. AustinOSU

AustinOSU Deputy

Maybe they are one of those fence-sitters he referenced.

5. Outworlder47

Outworlder47 Cowboy

This is correct. Lunardi, for one, has Wichita State as an 8 seed--not a sure-fire "in" yet by any means. Depending on how the last few weeks play out, the MVC may be a one- or two-bid league (with Illinois State, which has a better RPI and SOS plus a head-to-head victory, as a 12 currently and among the last four in).

6. Outworlder47

Outworlder47 Cowboy

Palm's showing us as the 9 in Salt Lake City, opening with Cal. Gonzaga on deck.

7. osuwhit

osuwhit Cutting the grass and listening to Van Halen rap.
    A/V Subscriber

If we win a lot more games we can get out of the dreaded 8/9 spot and into the 6 or 7 seeding. If that were to happen, could we land Tulsa as a 6 or 7 seed?

8. LS1 Z28

LS1 Z28 Deputy

From what I've read, site preference is only given to the top 16 teams. I doubt we'll land in Tulsa. That would be awesome though.

9. AustinOSU

AustinOSU Deputy

Arkansas appears to be another fence sitter we beat as well. KSU,TT, and TCU make 5.

• Like Like x 1
  10. go pokes!

go pokes! Cowboy

after starting 0-6 in the conference, i will be happy to be in the dance.....even if that means buffalo......i think our team is playing great ball and i hope we advance deep into the big 12 tourney (i really want us to have another shot at baylor)......i think an 8 seed is about right.....i wouldn't worry to much about wichita states rank against ours as they have had a better overall season than we have, but we are playing good

• Like Like x 3
  11. POISON

POISON Deputy

Their schedule isn't as tough as ours

12. go pokes!

go pokes! Cowboy

no it is not, but if they were 6-7 in their conference they would not be considered.

13. OSUMIKE17

OSUMIKE17 Property of The Oklahoman and NewsOk.com
    A/V Subscriber

An 8 seed right now is pretty good, but if we only lose one of our last five regular season games, then that seed would be a crime.

14. wrenhal

wrenhal Territorial Marshal

Wait, wvu is the only sure tournament team we've beaten?

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

15. AustinOSU

AustinOSU Deputy

Yep. "Sure" is the key word.

16. PanhandleCowboy

PanhandleCowboy Point Guard
    A/V Subscriber

17. Jostate

Jostate Federal Marshal
    A/V Subscriber

Can we go ahead and start dusting off a spot on the shelf for the Coach of the year trophy?

Good write up here about the trouble we could cause in the tourney:

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/insider/story/_/id/18719978/oklahoma-state-cowboys-giant-killer-potential

Picture the scene in the round of 32 ...

No. 1-seeded Gonzaga is 34-0, but late in the contest the Bulldogs are fighting for their tournament lives against No. 8 seed Oklahoma State. Mark Few's guys have scored almost at will against the Cowboys, yet all game long OSU has answered every Zag run by spacing the floor and hitting 3s.

Przemek Karnowski's size and Zach Collins' rim protection have been rendered moot by a torrent of outside shooting from Phil Forte III and Jeffrey Carroll. As the clock winds down under a minute with the score tied, few people anywhere are watching any other game. Is Gonzaga's perfect season coming to an end the first weekend? ...

It could happen, but before we go any further let me make two things clear. First, I'm not forecasting doom for the Bulldogs. I could have just as easily used Villanova for illustration purposes.

Second, Brad Underwood's team would, of course, be a decided underdog in any matchup on a neutral floor with an opponent good enough to earn a No. 1 seed. Still, within the category of teams that could be seeded anywhere between No. 7 through 10 who would need major upsets to reach the Sweet 16, it is true that Oklahoma State stands out.

The Giant Killers model gives the Cowboys the best chance of any other projected middle seed of knocking off an opponent on the No. 1 or the No. 2 line in the tournament. Underwood has a team that top seeds should be grateful to see in a different region.

Pretty strong praise for a bunch that started 0-6 in Big 12 play, right? Well, yes. Here's what you need to know about OSU.

• Like Like x 2
    • Love Love x 2