Mad at Gundy threads merged

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 16, 2004
DFW
What's your point?
You stated that different circles of friends have different opinions. But then you assumed your circle of friends represents “real world” OSU fans. It felt contradictory. Of course, you probably hang out with like-minded folks who will agree with you... and some of the more optimistic fans probably have friends who agree with them.

We’re all illogical, but we think we’re the only one being logical.

Sep 6, 2011
Wickline left in January 2014, Atkins was dismissed in February 2017, Henson left in February 2019.

I'm not suggesting Wickline is the problem - I'm saying that since he left (and the depth ramifications) we've been struggling on the offensive line.
Was Gundy not around for any of it? Maybe if he was paying a bit more attention he would have noticed the depth concerns before they became an issue. Blaming Wick for “leaving the cupboard bare” completely ignores the fact that Gundy was the head coach and his boss at the time.

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
Here's something to ponder. We are double digits underdogs to Iowa State. I mean no disrespect to the cyclones but they are not exactly known as a power house. They don't get 5 star recruits coming to Ames any easier than we can get them to Stillwater.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
You stated that different circles of friends have different opinions. But then you assumed your circle of friends represents “real world” OSU fans. It felt contradictory. Of course, you probably hang out with like-minded folks who will agree with you... and some of the more optimistic fans probably have friends who agree with them.

We’re all illogical, but we think we’re the only one being logical.
I understand that. My point wasn't to say that my friends are the only people to represent "real world" fans. It was just to add another data point acquired from outside this forum.

Jul 9, 2011
Yankees Tavern, Carlos Texas
So you're saying he's blaming other people for our losses?

Also......lol if you think Gundy is taking a "CEO" approach on gameday. He's calling the plays on offense right now. Its blatantly obvious. So in my view, he's either calling the plays and THEN blaming his assistants (which seems far-fetched) or he's lumping himself into the assessment that we were outcoached. I believe its the latter. But I also don't find any comfort in that.
I think you missed the point. First, not sure about Gundy is actually calling all the plays - I don't think that is right. I do think he gives input and may "veto" a play in a key situation, but I don't think he is calling every play. Same is true for plenty of HC's by the way. If they are wearing a headset with a mic, then they have veto power; the mic is there for a reason.

Second, what I am saying is you can blame Gundy for hiring bad assistants, but it is the assistants that doing almost all the day to day coaching and most all of the specific scheming for game preps. His job is to give them guidance - for example as he said he advised the OC to simplify the offense for the young QB. He then approves the overall plan.

Oct 6, 2007
Piedmont, OK
And a scholarship to Baylor is worth a lot more. I didn’t realize how expensive it is to attend BU until we moved to Texas. It’s not Rice, but it’s a pretty big deal down here.
A Baylor diploma has a lot of clout. One of my neighbors and her husband both went there. They call their student loans their Baylor Mortgage.

Apr 7, 2006
Was Gundy not around for any of it? Maybe if he was paying a bit more attention he would have noticed the depth concerns before they became an issue. Blaming Wick for “leaving the cupboard bare” completely ignores the fact that Gundy was the head coach and his boss at the time.
I agree with you. Wasn't blaming Wickline - just giving a timeline of events. I was offering an opinion on the cause of our issues. I don't think it's due to stubbornness around playcalling or wanting to change styles - I think that's been forced by offensive line play. I also think we now have a good oline coach and think Henson was building things up as well- just don't think it happens fast and I don't think firing Gundy would change that.

Posse85

Greenhorn
Sep 24, 2017
Stillwater
Gundy’s problem is that he doesn’t notice something until it’s a disaster. If you notice your washing machine hose has a slow drip, don’t wait until the hose explodes and floods the house to replace it. Gundy had to know that a previous class was short by one lineman, or that we lost a linebacker to off the field issues, etc. As head coach he should be fixing the problems when they are drips.

According to our website, we have 34 coaches, analysts and directors, Baylor has 12. Gundy makes 5 million, Matt Rhule makes 1 million. We aren’t getting what we’re paying for. For cryin out loud, we have Gary Gibbs as an analyst. Holder should just offer him the Football Coaching Executive Officer position, make up a new position that outranks the head coach. Wouldn’t have to buy him out because he would quit.

Sep 12, 2013
Broken Arrow, OK
Here’s the problem with getting someone to replace Gundy. If we get someone that turns out to be really good (Les Miles, Jimmy Johnson) this is just a stepping stone job. If we get someone that wants to stay we’re probably not winning anymore games than we are now. There’s a reason we hire so many ex-OSU people to these positions.
So a new coach every 3 to 5 years versus year after year in 9th place? I'll take the Coaching Carousel for $1000 Alex.

Rack

Federal Marshal
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
You misunderstood: they are fed up with his antics and his record NOW. Not the “next few seasons.”
You mean the "antics" that have drawn us into the national spotlight for the past decade and a half? Honestly all coaches have quirks and antics, if someone is upset that he has a mullet or did the rant or the way he treats some of the media they are barking up the wrong tree...his record, IMHO, is fair game, but his "antics" are a matter of an individual taste and style differences. The things that endure him to many of the masses are the same ones that make some folks talk about his "antics." IMHO, his "antics" are actual a strength, not a weakness. His current record and last years record are the problem...nothing more.

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2011
Yankees Tavern, Carlos Texas
So you're saying he's blaming other people for our losses?

Also......lol if you think Gundy is taking a "CEO" approach on gameday. He's calling the plays on offense right now. Its blatantly obvious. So in my view, he's either calling the plays and THEN blaming his assistants (which seems far-fetched) or he's lumping himself into the assessment that we were outcoached. I believe its the latter. But I also don't find any comfort in that.
So a new coach every 3 to 5 years versus year after year in 9th place? I'll take the Coaching Carousel for $1000 Alex.
We have the third best conference record over the last 10 years or so. Let me know when we get to year after year in 9th place......

Jostate

CPTNQUIRK called me a greenhorn
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
You mean the "antics" that have drawn us into the national spotlight for the past decade and a half? Honestly all coaches have quirks and antics, if someone is upset that he has a mullet or did the rant or the way he treats some of the media they are barking up the wrong tree...his record, IMHO, is fair game, but his "antics" are a matter of an individual taste and style differences. The things that endure him to many of the masses are the same ones that make some folks talk about his "antics." IMHO, his "antics" are actual a strength, not a weakness. His current record and last years record are the problem...nothing more.
I don't see this as an all or nothing thing. I like some of his attention grabbing efforts, some not so much. You're right though, those are just a side show, it's still about the W/L record.

Boomer.....

Territorial Marshal
Feb 15, 2007
OKC
We have the third best conference record over the last 10 years or so. Let me know when we get to year after year in 9th place......
Gundy claims OSU is on as steady ground as it has ever been, yet OSU is 4-9 in conference since last season. There is only one other Big 12 school with a worse record over that period...Kansas.

Sep 8, 2014
The back 40
I agree with all this Rack..the mullet, dancing, the rant, even the fart noise are part of his shtick. It kind of like Leach and les..it’s kind of neat and separates you from the pack. The problem is it works well when you are winning. When your team heads south and you do that though you start to look dumb.

Right now he is looking pretty dumb. If we would have beat Tech and Baylor I would be reveling in the antics. I’m afraid I’ll want to get the clippers out after we lose to WV, TCU, Kansas and the goons

Status
Not open for further replies.