Mad at Gundy threads merged

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NotOnTV

BRB -- Taking an okie leak
Sep 14, 2010
Gondor
A scandal-ridden, rape infested crap-hole of a university has blown by us like the prairie wind against our skin, and so many are fine with that. Disheartening.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2007
Sand Springs OK
That would be ideal. I just feel like Gundy has all the control. Forcing Gundy to hire Holgorsen may have been the single most important variable to all of our success.
Gentle reminder that 50% of the pair who forced that move recently shuffled off this mortal coil. Unless you’re holding out hope for Gundy to have a Dickensian night hosted by the Spirit of Boone to give him an insight to his coaching shortcomings, I’m not counting on the remaining member of the pair to do anything since he’s the source of this dreadful contract.

Dec 21, 2008
What stands out to me was watching Lincoln in their pregame interview with Joel Klatt 2 wks ago in his office. He showed Joel a 4 vert film play and said “we practiced some of these throws for an entire practice”. That’s why a potential Heisman QB 3 yrs in a row is part of that system. Throwing 100s of back shoulder passes, fades, slants etc. Spencer can barely throw a fade bc he’s young and maybe we aren’t practicing the right stuff or the right reps. (I know it helps having 3 Jrs take over the reigns and all 3 1st round qBs) but why can we not run plays to our strengths? With Blackmon and what Baylor runs it’s bomb. bomb. Then run for 50? We run 1yd bc we run 98% on first down so every box has 9 dudes in it, then no gain on 2nd down then incomplete bomb attempt over 3 safeties. I just don’t get the lack of creativity, energy, fire and adaptations

Rack

Federal Marshal
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
And to follow up on this. I've held my tongue for years. When people were screaming the sky was falling after getting routed by Ole Miss in the bowl game 2015 I agreed but wanted to see how we followed up with a new full recruiting class.

The truth is we have regressed to lower to middle of the pack in a conf that is not very strong other than OU
Actually the conference is currently VERY strong, mostly due to all the recent facility upgrades and tv contracts..this is a HUGE part of the problem many have caught us and some have past us.

Rack

Federal Marshal
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
A scandal-ridden, rape infested crap-hole of a university has blown by us like the prairie wind against our skin, and so many are fine with that. Disheartening.
NO one is "fine with that." Some just understand why better than others and none of us know the fix.

Rack

Federal Marshal
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
This reminds me of the Travis Ford debacle. I fear that this will limp along until we have a dumpster fire of major proportions. All too often that’s how several coaches have left OSU whether it be Eddie, Shawn or Ford. Gundy has us over a barrel and he knows it. It’s not about the program anymore - it’s about his ego and that’s a shame.
Travis Ford never had a final four or even an elite 8 performance...that's a horrible example. We have a problem selecting QB's and a dire desire to keep the ones we select even if they aren't good enough...this ends up being a QB change to a better one at some point and it fixes those issues...it's a pattern and it's fairly entrenched. typically once we let our hard head get out of the way and make the change we have a string of success...patterns repeat themselves, it's what it is.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2006
Sounds like a lot of you that lack my "defeatist attitude" aka reasonable assessment of the situation need to open your checkbooks and start affecting changes.

For every Matt Rhule there are 10 Charlie Strongs who would come in here, win 4 games a year and get fired. Maybe we'd get lucky and hit another homerun and I'd eat crow.

I'm also the guy who thought Dru Brown was clearly better in the spring while everyone else wanted to go with the young phenom. I got slammed for that take as well.

Rack

Federal Marshal
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
If Gundy truly thinks that a qb needs 15 games to be able to run his offense, then, last year, after it became obvious we weren't winning anything, Sanders should have played every snap.

Making an obscure bowl does absolutely nothing for this program other than it costing them money.

Having 2 piss poor seasons in a row is much more devastating.

Not taking our medicine last year, and going through these growing pains then instead of now really sucks.
One thing seems to be painfully obvious now...and it's that Gundy started the right guy last year. That, unless Brown is some world beater we are yet to see.

Oct 6, 2007
Piedmont, OK
Travis Ford never had a final four or even an elite 8 performance...that's a horrible example. We have a problem selecting QB's and a dire desire to keep the ones we select even if they aren't good enough...this ends up being a QB change to a better one at some point and it fixes those issues...it's a pattern and it's fairly entrenched. typically once we let our hard head get out of the way and make the change we have a string of success...patters repeat themselves, it's what it is.
My point is that we kept him around far too long. I have enjoyed the good Gundy years as much as anyone and, while sometimes disappointed, have not been in the Fire Gundy camp.
I’m waivering. Who do we believe. Gundy or our lying eyes.

Dub

Cowboy
May 31, 2007
Palo Alto, CA
www.pillowfight.us
He seems to be more interested in proving he's smart in lieu of proving he's good.
Whooh! That's like the sky wanting to prove that it's pink.

Gumby was one thing - the lure that snagged Boone's checkbook.

Why can't we pull in quality assistants? Because Gumby's appointment as HC was akin to daddy putting Jr in charge of the company. Because the HC is not going to teach them anything. Because a position under Gumby is the kind of thing you leave off your cv.

We had 2 REALLY good years, and they happened after the administration forced Gumby to hire Holgerson as a mercenary.

That said, I've come around on the whole "just enjoy being competitive" thing. As long as I don't think about that salary, I can simply enjoy the chaos and root for the kids.

Time to deploy R2D2 with a hologram onboard - to let Brandon Weeden know, "you are our only hope". . . or is there another?

Oct 30, 2007
Sounds like a lot of you that lack my "defeatist attitude" aka reasonable assessment of the situation need to open your checkbooks and start affecting changes.

For every Matt Rhule there are 10 Charlie Strongs who would come in here, win 4 games a year and get fired. Maybe we'd get lucky and hit another homerun and I'd eat crow.

I'm also the guy who thought Dru Brown was clearly better in the spring while everyone else wanted to go with the young phenom. I got slammed for that take as well.
People usually affect change by closing their checkbook. Look at GIA & our basketball program as a prime example. If that happens in football, our entire athletic department will be in trouble.

I still support Coach Gundy, but he needs to make some hard decisions moving forward. If the current state of the program becomes the new mean, we won't have any choice but to make a change. Hopefully he'll get this program back on track, and that will never materialize.

Ptak'sNewspaper

Territorial Marshal
Sep 30, 2004
On Tour with the Gap Band
strikeupthegapband.com
It’s clear that Gundy traded in a Ferrari for a Chevy. And I was honestly wondering why the moment he did it. Ever since then, my confidence in him has decreased little by little.

Funny thing is, I don’t think it would be that hard to rectify this mistake. Get rid of your most inept coach, bring in Weeden, Chelf, or Walsh and have them teach the Monken offense to Gleason. This is exactly what happened when Monken came in right? Weeden taught him this offense. Which I always felt was extremely odd that the HC would REFUSE to learn the most successful offensive system in program history that won 23 games in 2 seasons. Now it all makes sense. Gundy didn’t take the time or the effort to learn that offensive because he’s either too lazy (on cruise control), or he didn’t want anything to do with it from the beginning. Which totally fits with the theories that the Holgorsen hire was forced on him (Gundy definitely said right before the hire that he wasn’t going to hire an OC).

Rack

Federal Marshal
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
My point is that we kept him around far too long. I have enjoyed the good Gundy years as much as anyone and, while sometimes disappointed, have not been in the Fire Gundy camp.
I’m waivering. Who do we believe. Gundy or our lying eyes.
I'm not going to waiver until we miss a bowl...that's the bare minimum. Granted if we make minor bowls and don't ever improve from that..it's a problem as well...but that is IMHO our bare minimum. He stops making bowls he will force our hand. He needs to make a QB change if his QB continues to cost us games...which is exactly the issue...It's Garman, Lunt, and Walsh (to a lessor extent), once again. If he continues to be a turnover machine and cost us games we simply have to make a change. IMHO, it's really that simple. In all of his years we are only as good as his QB allows us to be. IF Browns not that guy then who is? Is it the kid in high school in California or little mullet and do we have to be a bottom feeder while we wait? No one wants that....we would all love for it to be SS right now but it's not looking good at all.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2011
Gundy went from an air raid, to a more conventional “mild” spread offense I think mostly to protect the defense. He insists on running the ball to run clock and keep the defense off the field and prevent teams from putting up half a hundred every week. Obviously that hasn’t worked. We’re still 99 in the country for D but now we’re not putting up the yards and points we were.

Apr 7, 2006
Not coming at you, but I heard the bozos on Fox talk about this alot and reality is that they had a good recruiting class on the way when the scandal broke and kept it. They were never punished at all. This wasn't a school that had the death penalty (as they probably deserved) this is a school that had some dismissals and coaching changes with good players waiting in the wings. The year that they were awful was due to injuries. They have a huge recruiting advantage that we'll never have - they're within 3 hours of 15-20 million people.

Nov 16, 2013
tractor
Gundy has moved on from wanting to win a national championship. You don't hire Mike Yurcich, Sean Gleeson and Jim Knowles if winning is your priority. He would rather have coordinators he doesn't have to replace in lieu of coordinators that kick ass.

He seems to be more interested in proving he's smart in lieu of proving he's good.

He has been GREAT for Oklahoma State, but I feel our motivations are in different places.

-----------------------------------------
That being said, you don't forcefully replace a legend without an upgrade to replace him.

I also don't think Mike Holder is the right AD to make this call of replacing the coach; and the first priority is hiring an AD that would be hired by other P5 conference schools.
I agree with parts of this, but longevity does not make legendary. Les Miles is a legendary coach, Jimmy Johnson is a legendary coach. Gundy had a chance to be THE legendary coach but traded it in to be a safe program placeholder. The question is will his fire reignite once his boy starting as a freshman or redshirt freshman? Odds are it will.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
Best I can figure, Gundy is basically a laid back hick version of Uncle Rico.

If he can't progress our program, then get someone else. He's holding us back.

Rack

Federal Marshal
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Gundy never chose to hire Holgerson. It was forced on him. When he hired Yurcich, he said that he wanted to stop the revolving door of OC that resulted from us having a superb offense. IMO he never liked that someone other than him was getting credit for the success.
While this may be true we have to remember that we won 10 games three times with the past OC and he is all the rage right now at undefeated Ohio State. We really can't say that Yurcich wasn't damn successful here. Our problems right now are not, IMHO, the offense...but the QB and his inability to handle a larger playbook and our well founded fear that he will turn the ball over at the drop of a hat (or ball like last night). It's time for another one of our classic QB changes that have been both the staple and bane of HCMG's career.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.