Mad at Gundy threads merged

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 8, 2010
Oh well, at least now if Gundy goes to Tennessee, Florida State, or some other big time school, I won't be upset. Looking for a silver lining and that's the best I can come up with. I jus hope we can make it to bowl game this year.

RutherfordFan

Federal Marshal
Feb 5, 2008
Oklahoma City
It's hard to take him seriously when he looks like Fabio, the NASCAR edition.
This. He looks like a jackass. I know looks aren't everything. Its shallow yes but he's a decent looking guy who hair flow in his 50s. It looked good for a couple years. Now he looks like a jackass who no one can possibly take seriously.

Last edited:

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
No one is disputing that...we need to improve or things will go south in a hurry for the mullet.
Things have been going south for the mullet for several seasons. What would it take for you (and other similar fans) to finally realize that long-term damage to our program may be underway if we don't make some changes soon?

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Things have been going south for the mullet for several seasons. What would it take for you (and other similar fans) to finally realize that long-term damage to our program may be underway if we don't make some changes soon?
A couple of seasons in a row of not making a bowl would do it for me...But I don't agree we have been going south for several seasons nor that long term damage is being done to our program by our coaching staff...just two down years and last year we won our bowl and beat what 2 top 10 teams (WVU and Texas)? so it was an acceptable season for me...not great by any means due to some unacceptable losses...but a C+ overall. This season can still be a B but it's going to have to get MUCH better and I think requires a QB change.

Apr 7, 2006
Gundy made a change early in his tenure, then changed back. That is the big change that is killing us. There is no question our recruiting is sub par for the Big 12. Has been for years. This shows up most in the OL. Big bad offensive linemen are swallowed up by the big boys of college football. We don't get them in the numbers to compete.

Gundy saw this early, brought in Dana H., and went to the wide open spread. We were able to run the ball because we could spread it out and throw it. That was the big equalizer for not having enough big bad OL. But slowly, Mr. Conservative inside of Gundy took over and he began to believe we could become a running team. He spoke about it often. So while we have been running the ball, we can't sustain enough drives, especially in the red zone, to win. Teams are stacking the line, playing one on one on our receivers, and limiting our offense. Baylor was a great example of this.

So two things have happened. We abandoned the spread and are not getting quarterbacks that can run the spread. We don't need dual threat qb's. We need qb's that can quickly and correctly read a defense, then make accurate throws. The counter to an all out rush is the Joseph Randle run. The holes are there not because of a great OL, but because the defense is on its heels defending the pass.

The spread offense was the big equalizer we had for a lack of recruiting. It covered over defensive deficiencies. It covered over sub par OL's. We came within a eye lash of playing for an NC with it. Gundy changed it, and it is killing us now.
I think you're connecting the wrong dots. Between 2008-2013 we had 7 first team all conference offensive linemen (not accounting for TE) and since 2013 we've had 2 (both in 2017).

Wickline left the cupboard bare and we've had a revolving door since then. The offensive lines have been weak most years and as a result you've not had the time to consistently read progressions. Go back and look at the games when Walsh/Lunt/Chelf were in their first year- they had all day to throw.

Once we get the offensive line depth built up with right coach, the offensives become much less dependent on phenom talent and more capable of plug and play.

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
Sammamish, Washington.Dallas, Texas.Maui, Hawaii
I think Spencer is decent and has a chance but I think in his head he is a gift to the world. I know he was a heck of a player in Texas but he has to realize everyone he is playing against now was too in their respective states. His decision making is bad, his passing is bad, and we have failed to get him ready. I know it’s his team but if he can’t do it then put Brown in and let him realize what happens if you can’t perform. I get it that he’s a freshman qb but he’s played the game his whole life. His throwing is awful
Seems like Sanders could’ve got some game experience last year. Like up to 4 games worth to be precise. Except we had a senior quarterback playing his last season of ball so it was important to keep him on the field.

Oh and by the way, my comment was dipped in sarcasm.

Osuc

Greenhorn
Sep 10, 2016
Tonkawa, hawaii
Mike is the winninest coach in school history and he’ll be here 10 years from now. A great coach will not venture into Oklahoma to go head to head, vs OU. OSU would have to go out on a limb, rebuild yet again. We should be happy to have Mike and his record here and not go through the pain of hoping something else will be better.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Seems like Sanders could’ve got some game experience last year. Like up to 4 games worth to be precise. Except we had a senior quarterback playing his last season of ball so it was important to keep him on the field.

Oh and by the way, my comment was dipped in sarcasm.
I think we are seeing why Sanders didn't play last year in these last two games...we can talk all day about if he needed the reps but he's a turnover machine right now so we may need to make a change now.

Jun 4, 2014
Dallas, TX
Gundy never chose to hire Holgerson. It was forced on him. When he hired Yurcich, he said that he wanted to stop the revolving door of OC that resulted from us having a superb offense. IMO he never liked that someone other than him was getting credit for the success.
While this may be true we have to remember that we won 10 games three times with the past OC and he is all the rage right now at undefeated Ohio State. We really can't say that Yurcich wasn't damn successful here. Our problems right now are not, IMHO, the offense...but the QB and his inability to handle a larger playbook and our well founded fear that he will turn the ball over at the drop of a hat (or ball like last night). It's time for another one of our classic QB changes that have been both the staple and bane of HCMG's career.
Just to comment on OCMY. He doesn’t call plays at Ohio State. Ryan Day the HC, who was the precious OC does that. I’m sure MY has influence but it’s not that large of an impact.

For the record, I’m fully in the camp that HCMG is holding us back. This is exactly what Les Miles did at LSU (married to a tiger alumn, so comes with the territory). Now look at LSU, it’s like they came out of the Stone Age and warped into the Jetsons. So to me it seems the apple doesn’t fall far from the tree.

I’ll admit I’ve never known OSU to have a different coach than Gundy (I’m a ‘14 grad), so I don’t really think about what things were like before. And honestly it shouldn’t matter. Empires fall, and capitalism moves forward. We should not be afraid to adapt and take the program in a different direction. If you’re not moving forward, you’re moving backward. And we are clearly moving backward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Just to comment on OCMY. He doesn’t call plays at Ohio State. Ryan Day the HC, who was the precious OC does that. I’m sure MY has influence but it’s not that large of an impact.

For the record, I’m fully in the camp that HCMG is holding us back. This is exactly what Les Miles did at LSU (married to a tiger alumn, so comes with the territory). Now look at LSU, it’s like they came out of the Stone Age and warped into the Jetsons. So to me it seems the apple doesn’t fall far from the tree.

I’ll admit I’ve never known OSU to have a different coach than Gundy (I’m a ‘14 grad), so I don’t really think about what things were like before. And honestly it shouldn’t matter. Empires fall, and capitalism moves forward. We should not be afraid to adapt and take the program in a different direction. If you’re not moving forward, you’re moving backward. And we are clearly moving backward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's pretty clear that guys like me (in my 50's) who have been around the program all their lives and have lived through many decades of really bad Oklahoma State football are clearly a little more patient with our head coach. That being said, I honestly do think we would suffer greatly from a head coaching change in the next year or so...in fact, I think it's inevitable that we will suffer when Gundy's tenure ends UNLESS we step up to the plate like Boone did in his lifetime in a big time way. It's going to take a major commitment like that (not sure how) to step up and be where we all want us to be. I think the heights to which he has taken us aren't something easy to replicate, not with just OU in the backyard, but Texas and other teams that have the ability to recruit in our neighborhood with much larger population centers and bigger home crowds on gamedays. One of the things that has always hurt us is the size of our fanbase...we need to continue to grow that. Tell me how you think our program needs to "adapt and move in a different direction" especially since the one we have been on has been so productive. I know that's a bit pessimistic, but I've been around a while.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2013
tractor
I think you're connecting the wrong dots. Between 2008-2013 we had 7 first team all conference offensive linemen (not accounting for TE) and since 2013 we've had 2 (both in 2017).

Wickline left the cupboard bare and we've had a revolving door since then. The offensive lines have been weak most years and as a result you've not had the time to consistently read progressions. Go back and look at the games when Walsh/Lunt/Chelf were in their first year- they had all day to throw.

Once we get the offensive line depth built up with right coach, the offensives become much less dependent on phenom talent and more capable of plug and play.
Your point is valid, we aren't very good on the line.

Boomer.....

Territorial Marshal
Feb 15, 2007
OKC
I for one hope Gundy stays in Stillwater for the foreseeable future. These half-assed recruiting classes aren’t going to fill themselves. Last year he admitted that he can’t compete with the bigger schools and wouldn’t even put out the effort to go after the bigger recruits. Winning strategy.

Sep 16, 2004
DFW
I for one hope Gundy stays in Stillwater for the foreseeable future. These half-assed recruiting classes aren’t going to fill themselves. Last year he admitted that he can’t compete with the bigger schools and wouldn’t even put out the effort to go after the bigger recruits. Winning strategy.
My siblings and I will rag on my brother all we want. Someone outside the family does it and I want to throat-punch them.

Sep 16, 2004
DFW
This^ Waco is nearly smack dab in the middle of what is called the Texas triangle (I call it Texaplex) between Austin/San Antonio, Dallas Ft Worth and Houston and they are likely to get better and more recruits than nearly everyone else sans others schools in that triangle (A&M, UT and them). The population of the Texaplex is positioned to be 35 million by 2050. Stillwater is at least 4 hours from the northern most portion of Texaplex…We will have to rely on Texas recruits that either want out of that area or aren't in it. Interestingly our two best players this year appear to be Canadians. So it's not like we aren't looking under some rocks.
And a scholarship to Baylor is worth a lot more. I didn’t realize how expensive it is to attend BU until we moved to Texas. It’s not Rice, but it’s a pretty big deal down here.

StillwaterMan

Beers and loud noises
A/V Subscriber
Jan 5, 2010
Wheres the food at?
If Gundy truly thinks that a qb needs 15 games to be able to run his offense, then, last year, after it became obvious we weren't winning anything, Sanders should have played every snap.

Making an obscure bowl does absolutely nothing for this program other than it costing them money.

Having 2 piss poor seasons in a row is much more devastating.

Not taking our medicine last year, and going through these growing pains then instead of now really sucks.
LOL, if Sanders was playing better and we were winning these games your narrative would still be "He should have played last year".

All of our games were too close to screw around with in 2018 and there is no doubt that we were playing the right guy with Corn. If the running game was last year what is this year we would have been 9-3 at the very worst.

RutherfordFan

Federal Marshal
Feb 5, 2008
Oklahoma City
I didnt agree with you all until this year. Gundy always recruits at around 35 in country. That has worked until this year. Last year happens from time to time but now a repeat crappy year. Has me thinking while Gundy has been a grreat coach. He might have lost his fire at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.