Mad at Gundy threads merged

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RutherfordFan

Federal Marshal
Feb 5, 2008
Oklahoma City
This! I said the same thing today. I’m definitely not happy. We could go recruit a new coach sure but there is no one that’s going to stay in Stillwater for 15 years and be committed. They will come, win some games and go to Tennessee or Arkansas, and we start all over. There’s no way this is better than what we have now. I love Stillwater but we can’t act like it’s one of the greatest attractions in America.
Arkansas no. They suck. So does Tennessee. A coach leave for blue blood but not those two crap schools.

Apr 14, 2008
Texas
Generally speaking...
Gundy teams that get to +10 net TO's have +10-win seasons
Gundy teams that have negative TO margin peak out at 7-wins

The outlier: 2017-we had a "dude" at QB that could overcome TO's

1571627160567.png

Nov 14, 2010
LOL, if Sanders was playing better and we were winning these games your narrative would still be "He should have played last year".

All of our games were too close to screw around with in 2018 and there is no doubt that we were playing the right guy with Corn. If the running game was last year what is this year we would have been 9-3 at the very worst.
Yes it would be

Why?

Because he should have played in 4 games to to best avoid having back to back bad years.

Which is, as I stated, much more damaging to a program than not making an obscure bowl in a single year.

Why?
Trending

One single year is not a trend, 2 becomes the start of one.

If fans, recruits etc.... sense a trend, that is much more of a negative thing than just having 1 bad year like Baylor did 2 years ago or we did in 2014.

Not to mention, it's not like we won 10 games last year with Cornelius and made any kind of head way on anything.

Last year was a failure whether we made an obscure bowl or not.

At least, amidst that failure, we could have had a silver lining by jump starting the preparation of our future qb.

That's the only way last year had any salvage to it.

Sanders has been good enough to beat Oregon State on the road and Kansas State at home.

Last year we had Hill for a while and Tyron Johnson .

We could/would have won 6 games with him last year playing in 4 games the same way we probably will win at least 6 games this year with less offensive talent.

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2015
SW OKLA
This defeatist attitude has to be removed from OSU.

How many coaches have we hired under the current setup?

Jimmy Johnson, Les Miles etc.... Didn't make $5 million a year and have the facilities we have now

Under your assumption

Why has Matt Campbell, Bill Snyder, Gary Patterson, Frank Beamer and Mike Gundy etc.... all stayed?

The trend is to stay, not leave

You can stay at a place like OSU now and make the same money, but have greater job security.

Ohio State, Notre Dame LSU, UCLA, Nebraska, OU, Texas, Oregon aren't hiring from places like OSU

They're hiring from the group of 5 teams.

OSU is no longer a stepping stone type job anymore
That’s not a defeatist attitude that’s just stark reality. And FYI everyone has facilities as nice or nicer than ours now. I love Stillwater but it’s an acquired taste and not a New York Yankee job for a majority of people. I wish we a blue blood and/or in an Austin Texas or anywhere in Florida but we’re not. We’re in the middle of nowhere Oklahoma. Our football program will never be an end of career job for anyone that doesn’t have OSU dna.

Nov 14, 2010
That’s not a defeatist attitude that’s just stark reality. And FYI everyone has facilities as nice or nicer than ours now. I love Stillwater but it’s an acquired taste and not a New York Yankee job for a majority of people. I wish we a blue blood and/or in an Austin Texas or anywhere in Florida but we’re not. We’re in the middle of nowhere Oklahoma. Our football program will never be an end of career job for anyone that doesn’t have OSU dna.
Re read about the coaching trends and how different the OSU job is now etc....

Some OSU fans will never be able get over the defeatism that the 70's and 90's beat into them.

It's understandable, it just needs to be eliminated

CPTNQUIRK

I'm Your Captain!
A/V Subscriber
Nov 20, 2006
In the Boondocks in Creek County, Oklahoma
What if the Sanders we have now is the Sanders we would have going forward a year or two? What if he can’t get a handle on the ball and not fumble it? I can live with an interception now and then. The fumbles have been killers, however. His main issue in Spring ball was reportedly that he had problems with ball security. That still appears to be the case. No number of games last season would have changed that if he can’t improve. Keith Toston had fumble problems and got benched until he figured out how to not fumble. Other players have had the same problems and were benched. If Sanders fumbles again in the next game then I think he needs to be benched. If he has a couple of interceptions then the same thing needs to happen.

Apr 7, 2006
Sacks by year:

2019 (so far) - 15
2018- 34
2017- 25
2016- 32
2015- 32
2014- 40
2013 -14
2012- 12
2011- 12
2010- 10
2009- 11

I think there's correlation in TO margin and sacks allowed. I will continue to say..
The biggest difference in this program is the lack of a good offensive line after Wickline left us and left the cupboard bare.

You can't throw it 40 times a game if you don't have a QB that can read a defense and an offensive line that will give him time to do so. I think the changes in style were forced by personnel.

Last edited:

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
Sacks by year:

2019 (so far) - 15
2018- 34
2017- 25
2016- 32
2015- 32
2014- 40
2013 -14
2012- 12
2011- 12
2010- 10
2009- 11

I think there's correlation in TO margin and sacks allowed. I will continue to say..
The biggest difference in this program is the lack of a good offensive line after Wickline left us and left the cupboard bare.

You can't throw it 40 times a game if you don't have a QB that can read a defense and an offensive line that will give him time to do so. I think the changes in style were forced by personnel.
Thing is, I saw Spencer have a lot of time quite a bit on Saturday. He would over/under throw the targets then. Or the receiver would just plain drop it when it hit their hands. Time isn't the only problem.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
Sacks by year:

2019 (so far) - 15
2018- 34
2017- 25
2016- 32
2015- 32
2014- 40
2013 -14
2012- 12
2011- 12
2010- 10
2009- 11

You're still blaming our problems on Wickline leaving???? If our head coach can't figure out how to (a) keep good coordinators or (b) go out and find good coordinators, then he needs to find a different job. The reason those sack numbers increased is because Gundy brought in puppet OC's starting in 2013, and we've seen a decline in our program since.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
My how times change...those "two crap schools" used to be light years ahead of us prior to this past decade and a half run.
There are two sides to that coin. Those two programs have tanked in the last decade, even with huge stadiums and good facilities. So let's not act like we're closing the gap between us and Bama or uo.

NotOnTV

BRB -- Taking an okie leak
Sep 14, 2010
Gondor
Sacks by year:

2019 (so far) - 15
2018- 34
2017- 25
2016- 32
2015- 32
2014- 40
2013 -14
2012- 12
2011- 12
2010- 10
2009- 11

Wickline left YEARS AGO!!

Oct 7, 2015
St. Elmo, CO
I would really like to have some sports journalist with some cajones get inside with some hard hitting questions to HC Mike Gundy.

It would be beneficial to know if Gundy is over-riding the Coordinators or if our Coordinators are really this bad.

It would be nice to know why Gundy refuses to try to win instead of protecting his fragile ego by not allowing Brown a shot at leading this team after Sanders has proven he needs to step back and sit for awhile until he gets his head back into the game.

I'd like to hear a reporter ask Gundy why he will sit a RB or any other player putting the ball on the ground, but will coddle his precious baby QB even after 12 TOs in 3 losses?!

Inquiring minds want to know.

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
Another thread? @CasperPoke11 can we consolidate all the butthurt, fire Gundy threads? That way everyone can see how they are repeating each other. Also, what is it about a loss that draws all the people out who never post otherwise. I've seen so many names in the last few days that I've never seen before.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
Another thread? @CasperPoke11 can we consolidate all the butthurt, fire Gundy threads? That way everyone can see how they are repeating each other. Also, what is it about a loss that draws all the people out who never post otherwise. I've seen so many names in the last few days that I've never seen before.
Its because, aside from a few diehard kool-aid drinkers, most people are (finally) fed up with Gundy's coaching. People have given him the benefit of the doubt, hoped for the best, and really tried to support him for various reasons, but this game (homecoming, against Baylor) seems to be the straw that broke that camel's back.

I honestly don't know where I stand on the issue. In a Utopian OSU world, Gundy would run the program as a CEO, take a pay cut so we can afford to hire solid coordinators (in all 3 phases), and he would get out of their way and let them do their jobs. Since that world has no chance of existing, it would seem our options are to just shut up and be happy finishing 3rd in the conference or worse until he retires, or bite the bullet and hire someone else that can take it from here. I just think he's too comfortable, not hungry, a terrible game manager, a below average personnel manager, and too egotistical to make any progressive changes.

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
Its because, aside from a few diehard kool-aid drinkers, most people are (finally) fed up with Gundy's coaching. People have given him the benefit of the doubt, hoped for the best, and really tried to support him for various reasons, but this game (homecoming, against Baylor) seems to be the straw that broke that camel's back.

I honestly don't know where I stand on the issue. In a Utopian OSU world, Gundy would run the program as a CEO, take a pay cut so we can afford to hire solid coordinators (in all 3 phases), and he would get out of their way and let them do their jobs. Since that world has no chance of existing, it would seem our options are to just shut up and be happy finishing 3rd in the conference or worse until he retires, or bite the bullet and hire someone else that can take it from here. I just think he's too comfortable, not hungry, a terrible game manager, a below average personnel manager, and too egotistical to make any progressive changes.
But why so many threads? Just make it one thread and quote each other back and forth a few times and then repeat. It's all you're doing anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.