Matt Steel: Time to update/upgrade the Mason Rudolph narrative

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Jul 5, 2020
Broken Arrow
Additionally, and I'm not sure if this also is due to the media as Matt described, but it just doesn't appear to be that Ben gives a flip about helping Mason succeed, either as a backup or full-time successor to him.

CowboyOrangeFan

Mmmm, yeah.
A/V Subscriber
Jun 9, 2006
Florida
I’m not sure if that is the case here or not. From what I do know about Rothlesberger, I do believe there is a clinical term for the disorder he suffers from. However, I will just use layman’s terms. He’s an asshole.

OrangeFan69

LA Face with an Okla. booty.
A/V Subscriber
Apr 24, 2010
Los Angeles 90046
instagram.com
I LOVE Mason Rudolph and would love for him to succeed. I don't blame Roethlisberger for stepping out of the way. Pittsburgh is his home; he's won there and he still feels he has gas in the tank. I get that "FU Old guy" energy.

Aaron Rodgers had to lounge around for a legend to hit the road and things worked out pretty well for him. It's a great luxury for the Steelers. They probably have the best #2 in the league.

Jul 5, 2020
Broken Arrow
I LOVE Mason Rudolph and would love for him to succeed. I don't blame Roethlisberger for stepping out of the way. Pittsburgh is his home; he's won there and he still feels he has gas in the tank. I get that "FU Old guy" energy.

Aaron Rodgers had to lounge around for a legend to hit the road and things worked out pretty well for him. It's a great luxury for the Steelers. They probably have the best #2 in the league.
I agree, but will also add that any beef I may have with Roethlisberger doesn't result from him wanting to stay around as long as possible, because I get that; rather, that it just appears to me he's not really going out of his way to help Rudolph's development as his backup and potential successor. Now I may have that wrong, it's just based on various articles and interview comments I've seen the last few years, and comments from a Steelers buddy of mine who lives up there.

Apr 18, 2021
Edmond, OK
I’m not sure Big Ben serving as a mentor to Mason is part of his contract. This is big boy football and it’s time for Mason to step up. Mason has had opportunities and hasn’t played well enough to make anybody feel like he’s the answer once Ben steps away.

Jul 5, 2020
Broken Arrow
I’m not sure Big Ben serving as a mentor to Mason is part of his contract. This is big boy football and it’s time for Mason to step up. Mason has had opportunities and hasn’t played well enough to make anybody feel like he’s the answer once Ben steps away.
Never stated or implied the term "mentor", because it's needless to say that kind of stuff isn't in his contract.. Just saying it's also in the best interest of the organization to have a backup ready to go, and you'd think if he cared about the organization after nearly 20 years of generous employment he'd take at least a little interest in helping him develop.

Aug 16, 2012
Never stated or implied the term "mentor", because it's needless to say that kind of stuff isn't in his contract.. Just saying it's also in the best interest of the organization to have a backup ready to go, and you'd think if he cared about the organization after nearly 20 years of generous employment he'd take at least a little interest in helping him develop.
2021 called. H***, 2010 called. NFL players (most) are team players as long as they get paid and most have no qualms going somewhere else if the opportunity is viewed favorably. List is long of the star players who stayed one place for years and then up and bolt when something was greener in the other pasture.

Oct 30, 2007
Just in case anyone missed it, Mason is starting the HOF game tonight for the Steelers. I know it's just preseason, but I'll tune in to see how he looks.

Jan 4, 2005
Looking very average.
Unfortunately this is right. Mason is going to make a lot of money (and save his body) by being a career backup. But he’s had his chances to prove he could start, and he keeps delivering luke warm performances. But he’s better than Chase Daniel who’s made close to $40mil holding a clipboard and starting 5 games in his career, so we shouldn’t feel sorry for him, he’ll be fine.

Not to mention, the NFL qb is changing before our eyes, and non-mobile qbs will be extinct in 5 years.

Last edited: