Media company hypocrisy

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
poster said earlier they wanted to watch a show on Disney but won't because of their perceived politics. And that's a show that as far as I know, doesn't have a political message.

Think about it. Your kids want to go to Disneyland after the pandemic is over. But you won't take them because Disney offends you for whatever reason. What's more fun, having an enjoyable vacation or staying at home because you can't get off your moral high horse?
If the KKK started a theme park and your kids wanted to go to Whiteland, would you just shrug off the political beliefs of the owners of that park and go have an enjoyable vacation there or would you tell your kids that your family vacation will have to be at a different location.

Oct 25, 2009
Twin Falls, ID
As an aside to this discussion focused on Disney, Ive decided that due to the political positions being pandered to by most of pro and collegiate sports organizations, that I will not watch any sports broadcasts and I will not purchase any products that provide any benefits to those organizations. Instead, I will begin investing more of my time and money in activities that make sense. Fishing, hunting, gardening, etc. Cuz when the country shits the bed, those will be the important things. And I have a feeling we are about a presidential election away from this country shittin the bed.

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
You're comparing Disney to the KKK?
No, I do not think Disney is comparable to the KKK (although Walt Disney has been accused of being anti-Semitic). I almost put a disclaimer in because I was afraid you would focus on the non-sequitur instead of answering the question.

I purposefully used an extreme example to make a point to you that there are instances where you might want to vote with your wallet. If you can accept that premise then the only thing we disagree on is where that line should be drawn....and that's at least a start.

NotOnTV

BRB -- Taking an okie leak
Sep 14, 2010
Gondor
Henry Ford was the biggest anti-Semite this country has ever known, and Walt Disney was in his inner circle.

okstate987

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 17, 2009
Somewhere
I don’t see why people getting turned off by the politicizing of sports makes them idiots. Why does that bother you?

And in addition to ESPN taking a hit in Disney’s portfolio, what about SW? Disney politicizing that brand has really hurt the returns on that gigantic investment. I guess I fail to understand why making political statements is more important than providing good entertainment and making money.
Star wars sucks now because disney is completely inept at creating a new story and just rode the coattails of the original story.

cowboyinexile

Have some class
A/V Subscriber
Jun 29, 2004
Fairmont, MN
No, I do not think Disney is comparable to the KKK (although Walt Disney has been accused of being anti-Semitic). I almost put a disclaimer in because I was afraid you would focus on the non-sequitur instead of answering the question.

I purposefully used an extreme example to make a point to you that there are instances where you might want to vote with your wallet. If you can accept that premise then the only thing we disagree on is where that line should be drawn....and that's at least a start.
I'd say this is more an agree to disagree type thing. I knew you weren't making a direct comparison with a KKK themed park but yeah I'd draw a line before a hypothetical situation that would anger almost everyone.

Probably a more apt example is something like Ark Encounter. That wouldn't be my cup of tea but if I find out tomorrow McDonald's is their biggest sponsor I'm not going to stop taking the kids to get a happy meal.

Life is so much easier when you don't let that stuff get to you. I can eat some Chik Fil Et while watching Dogma and enjoy both.

Also I highly recommend The Mandalorian. If you have Verizon you may still be able to get a free trial to Disney Plus, so technically they aren't getting any of your money. It's a really great show and I know people who have similar concerns over the political direction in TLJ that have said the series has none of that.