NCAA Men's Golf Championship

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Feb 18, 2009
That's just flat out wrong. It takes out a majority of the risk for worse players. Sure go for that 250 yard shot over the water into a tight green, you only lose a point instead of that triple staring you in the face. it COMPLETELY changes the game and strategy which is really not staying true to the sport or competitiveness of the athletes.
I think you're both right to a point.

I love and hate match play. I like to be the one to take the risk and push the issue on a hole but the sting of losing to a higher handicap sucks.

The Ryder Cup is what it is because of match play. Just hasn't worked out for us three times. I would love to see a stroke play championship and a match play championship.

Jan 8, 2009
Plano
I strongly agree match play is a different game within the game of golf. It does not always find the top player or team. Look at the Ryder Cup, Poulter is arguably today's toughest Match Play opponent but hardly anyone would argue he is the best golfer today. I brings out good golf but much more like grit, patience, grind, and steely nerves under pressure. There is added pressure in match play when its a team event like Ryder Cup and NCAA championships not at your local club where you are playing for yourself. I played a lot of golf in high school and summers against good players including the number one player from OU and loved it. It just adds a few new dimensions to golf vs a stroke event of which I played much less competitively.

I agree stroke play finds the top pure golfer but match play is easier to cover on tv and to get excited about as each hole is a key play. Stroke play tv coaluverage is harder due to all the shots and holes all over the course going on all at once, you need a course covered by cameras where match play works with just a few cameras per group for the 5 matches going on.I think the TV coverage of the NCAA's is making it a bigger more popular event but not sure its anywhere near a monumental change. I think the biggest impacts is tying team love to players to generate more fan interest in pro golf is a some what untapped area. Having a pro golf match between alumni from the various college programs would be interesting and fun but I am not creative enough to some up with a format to make this work.

I do not always agree with Holder on things but am convinced he is good for OSU sports.

Jun 24, 2011
There have been 14 women's golf championships and 14 men's championships played in match play format. Exactly one #1 seed has won, and that was us last year after narrowly winning in the quarters and semis. Golf is a tough game and scores can fluctuate with the same player from day to day. Even though we dominated stroke play in Arkansas, there were tournaments this spring we did not win. And Texas is a quality team - remember they beat our national championship team last year at the Big XII championship.

Aug 16, 2012
I disagreed with you laying it all on Bauchou. Pretty simple. I didn't dislike, poop on it, or anything else. Just disagree.

The format sucks, but it is what it is. 3 guys have to win. Bauchou approaches from 145 on the last two holes, with a one hole lead, sucked. Plain and simple. The last putt I wouldn't have wanted to stand over. I said out loud I'll be surprised if he makes it.

But there were 55 other holes played by him and two of his teammates that could have changed the match. Didn't work out.
I am not, in any way, laying it all on Bauchou. He is like the field goal kicker that hits the upright with 0:00 on the clock and gets blamed for the loss despite a defense that gives up 500 yards and has 100 yards of penalties. Two others lost and that puts added pressure on the #5 kid (I have always said, if the #1 is your stud, they should tee off last so matches come down to them, not the #5 kids). It was a team loss, but push coming to shove, he should have ran away with his match but did not. The #1 match was the same way but it fell our way. Austin's match was the only one that ended up as it should have.

Aug 16, 2012
Your little scramble at Plantation sounds cute though.
You just look to be adversarial.

Not a scramble, stroke play with a $600 purse including skins. No, not the NCAA championship or the PGA, but for amateur golfers, it is more serious than 99% of rec golfers ever get involved with.

Cancelled because of the rain anyway.

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
You just look to be adversarial.

Not a scramble, stroke play with a $600 purse including skins. No, not the NCAA championship or the PGA, but for amateur golfers, it is more serious than 99% of rec golfers ever get involved with.

Cancelled because of the rain anyway.
No, you're just wrong and need to be told as such.

That's a pretty nice purse for such a cakewalk of a course. If I didn't have a strict policy to not go north of 190, I might throw my name in the hat. Not worth going to Frisco though.

Aug 16, 2012
No, you're just wrong and need to be told as such.

That's a pretty nice purse for such a cakewalk of a course. If I didn't have a strict policy to not go north of 190, I might throw my name in the hat. Not worth going to Frisco though.
Your opinion does not make me wrong. Composure and patience are not the same. Composure benefits a golfer. Composure is remaining level headed when things around you are falling apart, seeing through the difficulty and proceeding accordingly. Patience is simply bearing the difficulty but it does not have any ramifications as to subsequent action/reaction.

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
Your opinion does not make me wrong. Composure and patience are not the same. Composure benefits a golfer. Composure is remaining level headed when things around you are falling apart, seeing through the difficulty and proceeding accordingly. Patience is simply bearing the difficulty but it does not have any ramifications as to subsequent action/reaction.
It is not simply my opinion that golf is a patient man's game, and you are wrong to insinuate that it is not. Period. You clearly have never played competitive golf at any level, other than in a beer league at shitty muni courses in Collin County. Have fun at Oak Hollow or The Trails next month.

Oct 22, 2008
Austin, Tx
I disagreed with you laying it all on Bauchou. Pretty simple. I didn't dislike, poop on it, or anything else. Just disagree.

The format sucks, but it is what it is. 3 guys have to win. Bauchou approaches from 145 on the last two holes, with a one hole lead, sucked. Plain and simple. The last putt I wouldn't have wanted to stand over. I said out loud I'll be surprised if he makes it.

But there were 55 other holes played by him and two of his teammates that could have changed the match. Didn't work out.
I am not, in any way, laying it all on Bauchou. He is like the field goal kicker that hits the upright with 0:00 on the clock and gets blamed for the loss despite a defense that gives up 500 yards and has 100 yards of penalties. Two others lost and that puts added pressure on the #5 kid (I have always said, if the #1 is your stud, they should tee off last so matches come down to them, not the #5 kids). It was a team loss, but push coming to shove, he should have ran away with his match but did not. The #1 match was the same way but it fell our way. Austin's match was the only one that ended up as it should have.
Meh. It is all on Zach. I’m not saying we should harass him on social media or make him a pariah in Stillwater. He was a big part of us winning it last year. But match play turns a team competition into an individual competition. What could any of the other players done to change the outcome? I don’t think anyone in college golf could have beaten Hammer yesterday. So I give Wolff a pass. Wood wasn’t beating anyone left in the tournament at that point, so that’s more on HCAB for not having a better option than Wood. So going in, we knew we needed to win 3 or the other 4. We won 2 of them and Zach was one up and 50 yds ahead of his opponent on 18. That guy made great shots from that point in and Zach mishit every shot, chip, and putt from that point on (good drive on the 19th though). He didn’t even need to make great shots. Just decent ones. And he didn’t. So yeah, this is pretty much all on Zach. And I guarantee you he knows it and feels terrible. I feel terrible for him.

I hope he doesn’t read this board, but if he does, we love you Zach for what you did for us last year. The joy that day brought us isn’t going to be wiped out by one terrible 30 minutes.

So go ahead and blast me. Just like those 30 minutes, sometimes the truth sucks.

Apr 7, 2006
We all knew what the rules were going in. No need to be upset now that we got beat.

Back to the drawing board. Just get better next year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It isn’t wrong because of any single outcome. It’s worth evaluating if it’s providing the correct results. Over a longer span if it isn’t then it should be changed.

Jul 16, 2005
Edmond
And Duke was the overwhelming favorite to win the NCAA basketball championship this year. Sometimes the best team doesn’t always win.

Wolff ran into a buzzsaw, just like Bauchou was a buzzsaw last year in match play. I do agree that maybe Britton should have sacrificed Wood against Hammer, but how do you predict he’s going to go on such an amazing run? You just can’t.

I enjoy match play and think it’s pretty exciting. However, I do not think this was all on Zach. He should have closed it out, but 2 other OSU golfers also lost their matches.

Jan 8, 2009
Plano
Got company coming in for a week today or I would analyze our UT match and the finals match by looking at how many over/under par per hole each player was in those matches vs their same stat for the four rounds of stroke play results. See what each team was over or under par per hole for those matches and the stroke play holes to see who played better or worse than their stroke play. This will show if we hit a buzz saw only or if we fell down in other players vs how they performed in stroke vs match play. Look at how each team performed over all vs their stroke play to see if maybe the conditions were tougher or easier overall.

I think we know Hammer played above his par from stroke play but I feel like wolff played close to his par in the UT match. Hammer played below his par against Standford but that is just one match we need to see how all players did relative to his par. I think there is more pressure on players in match play head to head but maybe not ? I think there is more pressure in match play because all five matches count but maybe not depending no over the player produced vs stroke play. I know this stat is skewed by things in match play like if a player concedes a hole and does not finish a score on a hole that can be measured this way and if a golfer lags up to get a sure two putt to win a whole when in stroke play he would try to sink that same putt. Hammer did this on 9 when he played us, two putts gave him a wind and he lagged a pretty short birdie putt.

Might not tell a story but its an analysis I will do when I get time. Data wonk of sorts here as a Chem Engineer grad from OSU. I suspect no one cares about this but me lol

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2015
SW OKLA
They used to have a national duels...certainly it didn't have any implications as far as an ncaa team title. I think you make some good sound points here...and maybe it is, just sucks to be us when you clearly have the best players on your team for stroke play but maybe just a stroke shy in a one and done deal. Can you think of anyway to tweak it, maybe double illumination or something (more like baseball)?
If it gets that bright we’ll all go blind. ;)

OSUCowboy787

Territorial Marshal
Dec 31, 2008
Keller, Texas
And Duke was the overwhelming favorite to win the NCAA basketball championship this year. Sometimes the best team doesn’t always win.

Wolff ran into a buzzsaw, just like Bauchou was a buzzsaw last year in match play. I do agree that maybe Britton should have sacrificed Wood against Hammer, but how do you predict he’s going to go on such an amazing run? You just can’t.

I enjoy match play and think it’s pretty exciting. However, I do not think this was all on Zach. He should have closed it out, but 2 other OSU golfers also lost their matches.
Says who? They were the number 1 overall seed but not considered the 'overwhelming favorite' there were about 10 teams this year that had a legitimate shot at it. Duke was just one of them.

Jan 21, 2006
Boulder
Might not tell a story but its an analysis I will do when I get time. Data wonk of sorts here as a Chem Engineer grad from OSU. I suspect no one cares about this but me lol
Oh wrong, buffalo breath. Also and OSU engineering grad, who has become a fossil, but love data. I think Hammer had 8 birdies in 15 holes vs Wolff. Then Hammer can't duplicate it the next day, losing by the same score that he beat Wolff.