1. You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

NCAA Wrestling Championships 2017

Discussion in 'OSU Sports Forum' started by brewzer, Mar 7, 2017.

1. Seth25809er

Seth25809er Sheriff
    A/V Subscriber

I guess you could. If he would've paid some of those guys more theoretically they may not have left. You could make the argument that his emphasis on facility spending played a role in not paying coaches more, but it's a bit of a stretch to say that

• Like Like x 1
  2. RxCowboy

RxCowboy Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
    A/V Subscriber

@Seth25809er Thanks for everything you've done for this forum throughout the season. I know it has really added to my enjoyment. You are one really dedicated wrestling fan.

• Like Like x 11
  3. Seth25809er

Seth25809er Sheriff
    A/V Subscriber

What PSU did the other night unfortunately is really impressive. 5 NCAA champs is remarkable and they'll have a chance at getting 6 next year with Suriano back. They'll be extremely tough to beat.

That said there's a lot to look forward to next season for OSU. We'll potentially have a lineup with 7 returning All Americans, 2 juco champs, and bring in the #1 recruit in the country. Personally I think we should redshirt Fix, and even Joe Smith, to give us a shot at a title once some of these PSU guys graduate.

125-Piccinnini-Returning AA that has the potential to finish pretty high again next year. One guy in front of him graduates, but Suriano will be back, so you're looking at probably a #4 ranking for him preseason with potential to improve through the year. He has a great room at his weight and should get better because of that. Fix is also an option here, but I don't personally see him not redshirting.

133-Brock. He's really good on his feet. Probably the best in the country, but has to get better on the mat. Physically he just doesn't look as strong as some other guys and needs to improve there also IMO. Could be an NCAA champ if he can get better there.

141-Dean Heil. He wins close, but he wins. Should be the favorite again and hopefully a 3 timer. Not a lot of people do that. Really impressive kid.

149-Could be a lot of people here. Geo Martinez was an AA at Boise State and I'm guessing it will be him.
    Moran and Lewallen had great years as back ups at 141 and could move up though. Also a chance Blaylock goes down a weight.

157-Joe Smith should come in around #4 or so after his finish at the NCAA's Healthy year and he could be a finalist. I personally hope we redshirt him to give him better chance at a NCAA title and the team a better shot at a title after some PSU guys graduate. Blaylock and a few others could fill in nicely here if needed.

165-Rogers-Had a great NCAA tournament and like all those other guys I'm guessing comes in around 4 next year.

174-Jacobe Smith. JUCO champ that could be really good. Beat the #6 ranked guy handily this year and didn't lose a match in his redshirt year. I think he's potentially a top 5 guy.

184-Marsden or Moore. Both could be decent, but I wouldn't project either as an AA. A lot of guys graduate here, so it could open up though, but personally it's probably a positive just to see them get some good work in and make the NCAA tournament. Probably need a year of development before they're AA caliber.

197-Weigel-Few more seniors gone here. Guy has a legit chance to be a NCAA finalist next year. He has to continue to improve on his feet, but he could be a legit threat for an NCAA title with Pfarr/Cox gone, but I think Moore from Ohio State's the guy at this weight next year. Still you can't discount the constant improvement in Weigel and have to think he has a chance to climb up there.

285-Andrews-JUCO champ out of NEO. He's serviceable, but don't expect the same from him that you do with Jacobe Smith. Probably just hoping to make the NCAA tourney here and win some matches.

It'll take a ton to win a NCAA title here with what PSU has, but this is a legit team that could tie another school record with AA's and will have everyone back, but Heil the next year.

• Like Like x 8
  4. Tommy Gunnz

Tommy Gunnz Cowboy

everything I heard was how Joe Smith struggled with his weight this year, not so sure he goes 57 again. I know nothing about Jacobe Smith, any chance he is big enough for 84 (especially if we don't have much going on at that weight) and JoJo & Rogers just bump up a weight class?

5. Seth25809er

Seth25809er Sheriff
    A/V Subscriber

Joe had bursitis in his knee for a large part of the year. It looked to me like he may have struggled with the weight cut as well, but it also may not have been an issue at all and it was just the knee? I really have no idea there.

Jacobe Smith isn't very big. I think he'd be serviceable at 184 if they did bump everyone, but he'd be a very small 184. He almost looks small against some other 174's.

Right now we're probably looking at Marsden as the starter at 184. Best case scenario IMO would be if Derek White pulled down to 184, but I don't really see that happening. Personally I think he'll try to put on some weight and challenge to start at HWT, but ideally we'd see him at 184. I think he'd be a fringe AA there.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Tommy Gunnz

Tommy Gunnz Cowboy

top stud recruit Gavin Teasdale just decomitted from Iowa and will sign with Penn State. The rich just keep getting richer

• WOW WOW x 1
  7. CTeamPoke

CTeamPoke Creator of "Dumbest Post in OP History!"
    A/V Subscriber

He's a 125 though. Don't he ever sees the mat.

8. #1 Pokes Fan

#1 Pokes Fan Sheriff

Sometimes I guess it is better to just have them on your side and away from your competition.

• LOL LOL x 1
  9. Seth25809er

Seth25809er Sheriff
    A/V Subscriber

Just a HS junior though. Next year will be Suriano's sophomore year, then a RS for him and he probably only sits for one and that's just if Suriano doesn't go up to 133.

• Like Like x 1
  10. CTeamPoke

A/V Subscriber

Maybe he'll flip again in that time to Ohio State or something. Who knows. With more attention on college wrestling and recruiting these kids are getting a ton of pressure early.

11. Tommy Gunnz

Tommy Gunnz Cowboy

too early. You shouldn't be able to commit until your senior year. These kids are too easily swayed.....I seriously doubt Penn States NCAA performance and hearing all the psu wrestlers and announcers keep talking about how "fun" it is to wrestle there didn't persuade him

12. Tommy Gunnz

Tommy Gunnz Cowboy

Where I live (Long Island) we have a kid Adam Busiello who is an absolute stud. Top recruit in the nation in his weight and #10 overall. He is only a sophomore in high school and is already a 3x state champ and has already committed to Penn State. I don't think sophomores should be able to commit I find that to be kinda absurd.

I was also really hoping Piccinnini would start a pipeline and maybe grab some of our elite talent and get them to sign with us, hopefully he does in the next few years he is a wrestling icon here

13. CTeamPoke

A/V Subscriber

That's why I think it's important to redshirt Fix and try to get him to gain some weight up to 141... Fix would obviously beat Picc in a match today, mostly because Fix weighs more and is more technically mature, but that New York pipeline is too valuable. We took a big enough hit when Marsteller turned out to be a bit lost.

14. teibbor

teibbor Moderator
    Staff A/V Subscriber

It is only a verbal commitment and means nothing.

15. Cowboy08

Cowboy08 Wrangler

#2 Michael Beard just decomitted from Northwestern. His top 3 schools were Northwestern, Cornell & Penn State.....gee I wonder where he will go lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. RxCowboy

RxCowboy Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
    A/V Subscriber

Commitments are non-binding. They are in effect saying, "I like this school." You should be able to commit whenever you want to. Since it isn't a contract it is a matter of free speech. What you shouldn't be able to do, and in fact can't do, is sign a letter of intent until your senior year. An LOI is a contract and is binding.

17. Jostate

Jostate Federal Marshal
    A/V Subscriber

I wish they would change the semantics to say this is a recruit's "preference". It would, hopefully, save some fans a little anxiety when a kid changes his mind and maybe even a little less internet bashing when a kid changes his preference.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Tommy Gunnz

Tommy Gunnz Cowboy

Daton Fix wrestled yesterday in the big NYC Beat the Streets event and holy cow he looked friggin incredible. I was hoping he would redshirt and then wrestle 33, I really want Picc Fix & Brock all in the lineup together but watching how talented he is yesterday it may be impossible to keep him out of the lineup as a true frosh

• Like Like x 4
  19. Seth25809er

Seth25809er Sheriff
    A/V Subscriber

I do think he has the talent to be a NCAA champ next year, but still think it may be tough not to redshirt him.

With the current guys OSU has in the room they probably come in ranked #3, 4, and 1 at the first 3 weight classes, so to me it's tough to start him when you have a ton of talent already there and could give him a year to develop.

That said IMO he could probably beat both Brock and Pic. Also IMO Brock has a good shot at winning a NCAA title next year if he improves on the mat and Pic even has a pretty good shot if he continues to progress like he did at the end of last year.

• Like Like x 5
  20. bacowboy

bacowboy Territorial Marshal

• Like Like x 3