Negative campaign ads

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Mar 11, 2006
I don’t get their appeal. They obviously work because many candidate use them, but they do the opposite effect on me.

Today, I received a very negative mailer about a local County Commissioner candidate paid for by friends of the opponent. The mailer had a picture of the candidate superimposed in front of a prison and said something to the effect that the candidate supported Pelosi-style ballot harvesting. Although I am not close to the opponent that sent the mailer, I have met him a few times, know several of his supporters, and had planned to vote for him.

But, his horrible mailer changed my voting plans and I am going to vote for the candidate depicted on the mailer. And am going to personally pledge to do this with other races as well.

oks10

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 9, 2007
Piedmont, OK
I don’t get their appeal. They obviously work because many candidate use them, but they do the opposite effect on me.

Today, I received a very negative mailer about a local County Commissioner candidate paid for by friends of the opponent. The mailer had a picture of the candidate superimposed in front of a prison and said something to the effect that the candidate supported Pelosi-style ballot harvesting. Although I am not close to the opponent that sent the mailer, I have met him a few times, know several of his supporters, and had planned to vote for him.

But, his horrible mailer changed my voting plans and I am going to vote for the candidate depicted on the mailer. And am going to personally pledge to do this with other races as well.
For the most part, this is why if your mailer finds its way to my mailbox, I'm probably not voting for you.

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
Unfortunately it's going to be hard to find a candidate who doesn't engage in negative attack ads. It is how you win elections in this county. Im not looking forward to the ads in Oklahoma that will attack politicians for not supporting Trump. Sickens me to think that strategy actually works.

Vote 3rd party, they don't have enough money to run negative ads.