New Big 12 commissioner

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Nov 6, 2010
Do this hire got me thinking about possibilities. Assuming the league stays pretty much intact as it is, what are some of the out of the box changes this guy might bring about to make the league more marketable. I was thinking maybe replacing the traditional band halftime show with a televised concert could be one. Anybody got any other thoughts on what he might be thinking?

gundysburner

Territorial Marshal
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
Do this hire got me thinking about possibilities. Assuming the league stays pretty much intact as it is, what are some of the out of the box changes this guy might bring about to make the league more marketable. I was thinking maybe replacing the traditional band halftime show with a televised concert could be one. Anybody got any other thoughts on what he might be thinking?
God I hope not. Those halftime shows are painful, and cost a lot to produce. Can you imagine erecting some stage in BPS in 20 minutes?

Nov 27, 2007
Tulsa
Today's rumor from CFB Reddit, Arizona to the ACC, Notre Dame to B1G and B1G standing pat after ND.
Not that I disagree, because honestly who knows - certainly not I.

I would find it odd for them to add USC, UCLA, Notre Dame and end with 17 teams.

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
The networks want to show highlights, and much more importantly, hype upcoming games, during halftime. I don't see them broadcasting such a halftime show. I also suspect the universities themselves would have a problem with this. I mean we're not as snooty about the band as say Stanford or A&M but a lot of people still like to see them preform...not to mention they want to perform.

Nov 6, 2010
The networks want to show highlights, and much more importantly, hype upcoming games, during halftime. I don't see them broadcasting such a halftime show. I also suspect the universities themselves would have a problem with this. I mean we're not as snooty about the band as say Stanford or A&M but a lot of people still like to see them preform...not to mention they want to perform.
Well, I'd envision it being more of a rotating conference game of the week and be treated like College Game Day, so the bands would only be giving up one halftime show per year, if that even. And we'd have to create a conference network, or some like streaming option and be able to dedicate the whole day to the other games and whatever festivities would surround the "game of the week".

I'm sure there are other ideas, this is just the first thing that popped into my head. But there are going to have to be some pretty radical ideas for this conference to have any chance to stay relevant.

gundysburner

Territorial Marshal
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
Well, I'd envision it being more of a rotating conference game of the week and be treated like College Game Day, so the bands would only be giving up one halftime show per year, if that even. And we'd have to create a conference network, or some like streaming option and be able to dedicate the whole day to the other games and whatever festivities would surround the "game of the week".

I'm sure there are other ideas, this is just the first thing that popped into my head. But there are going to have to be some pretty radical ideas for this conference to have any chance to stay relevant.
Sorry, but if you think halftime shows are the ticket, I'd have to disagree strongly there.

Nov 6, 2010
Sorry, but if you think halftime shows are the ticket, I'd have to disagree strongly there.
In their current format, I completely agree. That's where out of the box thinking has to come into play. Maybe the "game of the week" location is an all day affair, where instead of Corso and Herbstreit sitting there picking games, you've got major concerts being televised live from the GOW location with intermittent references or highlights to conference action. Hell, add in the food network and have Guy Fieri do a show in each location, whatever. That's where I hope the new commish can earn his paycheck. The tradition of college football walked out the door when all the realignment stuff started in earnest. Thriving or surviving depends on bold moves outside the traditional model. How about interactive chats for every game where the fans can interact with each other live, with mods of course, but that is the kind of thing that is easily doable now. Fans that don't want that could turn it off like closed captioning.

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
A/V Subscriber
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
I would like to know @CTeamPoke ’s opinion of the new guy.
Cap I'll give you a real answer here.

I think it's fine. Ultimately, this guy is a long long long time sports executive with a ton of experience and connection in the industry. He's been pigeon holed into "entertainment CEO" because he spent, like, 3 years with Roc Nation... which is also a sports agency... so people are making jokes about halftime shows and whatever else. That's pretty far down the list.

I think that this guy will help negotiate a great new TV deal for the new look Big 12... whatever that looks like... due to his experience doing this with Brooklyn sports. I'm pretty sure that he is responsible for the Nets and Islanders having a fairly lucrative independent media deal. If he has strong negotiating ability, I think that this is likely the most important factor in his hiring.

The new Big 12, whatever it ends up looking like, is going to have to get creative and really sell it's value to either a new media member (think Amazon or Apple) or with an old media member that is trying to stay relevant in sports and has a strong streaming service (think NBC).

Time will tell what happens with this hire. He's a business man that knows sports and relationships very well. Hopefully he's creative, and hopefully he's a strong negotiator. If he is, this will be a success. If he isn't, well, look at what happened to the Pac 12... and hope that OSU has a place to land.

Mar 8, 2010
What a wonderful time for a new leader to become a super star overnight. Great leaders welcome opportunities like this to prove their worth. Our new Commissioner should be clicking his heels over such an opportunity.

Nov 27, 2007
Tulsa
What a wonderful time for a new leader to become a super star overnight. Great leaders welcome opportunities like this to prove their worth. Our new Commissioner should be clicking his heels over such an opportunity.
That’s a great point. Good on the Big12 for going out of the box on this hire too. With the rapid evolution of college athletics, the old guard won’t do. I don’t want a guy that knows how to run a conference yesterday, I want a guy that has ideas for tomorrow.