New Double Deck at BPS?

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Jun 29, 2004
La Jolla, California
Read the Tulsa World article in which Bill Haistien said Chad Weiberg has asked Gundy what improvements to BPS he needs to remain competitive. Then saw Pistol Rick's photoshopped double decker BPS. Haistein feels like a major announcement will occur about BOS by the end of the year. Anyone in the know have more specific info on what types of improvements are on the table>

OstatePokes

Territorial Marshal
Aug 24, 2007
Knoxville, Tennessee
Read the Tulsa World article in which Bill Haistien said Chad Weiberg has asked Gundy what improvements to BPS he needs to remain competitive. Then saw Pistol Rick's photoshopped double decker BPS. Haistein feels like a major announcement will occur about BOS by the end of the year. Anyone in the know have more specific info on what types of improvements are on the table>
From reading the article I thought it was more likely to be a remodel of player spaces inside BPS, or a new student center, or another player area.

Sep 29, 2006
I know I am going to get a lot of blow back on this by the orange colored glasses crowd but why would we spend a lot of money on a dead sport - football. Almost any outcome of the realignment circus has OSU football dead. OSU still has a top 25 football complex.

• If we got accepted in the SEC OSU football won't we competitive - why then put money in it.
  • If we got accepted in the B10, we would be slightly more competitive in our "western or southern division" but would not have any shot at a conference championship. We would be a consistent middle of the pack team. We would also already have one of the best football facilities in the B10. Why waste the money?
  • If we got accepted in the PAC we would already have one of the best facilities. Second only to Oregon. PAC12 schools do not invest much into facilities, why waste the money.
  • If we are relegated to the AAC, we would have by far the best facilities.

Before everyone goes nuts, we have one B12 football championship which is a relatively weak football conference. I'm not a hater we have overachieved in football and I am proud of that but joining tougher and deeper conferences is not going to result in better results

I would spend the money on softball and wrestling. Regardless of conference these sports can not only be competitive but win championships. Also basketball but we already have a top 20 facility.

Jan 1, 2011
tx
Football is the only money maker sport, none of the others come close. Why would you spend money on revenue losers? Having said that we do need to fix several sports that haven't been improved yet IMO. I don't think we would add the deck as it would be empty regardless of where we go to play. Not enough alums to fill it. We aren't like OU that has fans down every red dirt road and in every trailer park.

Here is a sketchup 3d from the original designers of BPS of an upper deck addition. it is pretty pixelated, but you can see the concept. As I remember it would add 20K seats.
BPS Expansion.jpg

Nov 8, 2013
Football is the only money maker sport, none of the others come close. Why would you spend money on revenue losers? Having said that we do need to fix several sports that haven't been improved yet IMO. I don't think we would add the deck as it would be empty regardless of where we go to play. Not enough alums to fill it. We aren't like OU that has fans down every red dirt road and in every trailer park.

Here is a sketchup 3d from the original designers of BPS of an upper deck addition. it is pretty pixelated, but you can see the concept. As I remember it would add 20K seats. View attachment 91322 .
The conceptual JW level looks nice. But... can't see us needing that for a while.

Jan 1, 2011
tx
The conceptual JW level looks nice. But... can't see us needing that for a while.
That is what I said, we would never in the next decade fill it up and would be ridiculous to spend that money on the upper deck. Too many other sports need new facilities ie: softball, wrestling, indoor track.

Jun 5, 2020
OKC
I do believe this conversation took place before/ not after the Texas destroyed the 12 and took UO with them. At this point in time any and all future additions, IMO, will be on hold unless a really Major Donor would put up more than Holder wanted to start a project - what was his go - 50% capital/cash ? And all above said - we don't need more seats.

Jun 4, 2014
Dallas, TX
If we do anything to the stadium, we should dome it. That would be epic and clearly set us apart from any college in the country. We have the perfect built in neighbor with GIA to make the roof retractable too. Make it look and feel like playing at Cowboys Stadium in Dallas.
Because I agree, we aren’t getting more people in the stadium. And honestly you don’t need to. Doming the place would make it feel significantly louder.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
I know I am going to get a lot of blow back on this by the orange colored glasses crowd but why would we spend a lot of money on a dead sport - football. Almost any outcome of the realignment circus has OSU football dead. OSU still has a top 25 football complex.

• If we got accepted in the SEC OSU football won't we competitive - why then put money in it.
  • If we got accepted in the B10, we would be slightly more competitive in our "western or southern division" but would not have any shot at a conference championship. We would be a consistent middle of the pack team. We would also already have one of the best football facilities in the B10. Why waste the money?
  • If we got accepted in the PAC we would already have one of the best facilities. Second only to Oregon. PAC12 schools do not invest much into facilities, why waste the money.
  • If we are relegated to the AAC, we would have by far the best facilities.

Before everyone goes nuts, we have one B12 football championship which is a relatively weak football conference. I'm not a hater we have overachieved in football and I am proud of that but joining tougher and deeper conferences is not going to result in better results

I would spend the money on softball and wrestling. Regardless of conference these sports can not only be competitive but win championships. Also basketball but we already have a top 20 facility.
Happy Thursday to you, because you clearly are in desperate need of something good in your life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
I would think we’d spend a few bucks on cosmetic kind of things with the majority of the money on player amenities to make sure we’re doing all we can to attract recruits.

2nd deck? November-Foxtrot-Whiskey

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OSU125

Wrangler
Sep 2, 2014
The trend, across all sports, is a decline in attendance….I just can’t see us adding more seats, that frankly we don’t need now and may never need.
All sports, pro and college are now more interested in improving the in person experience to try and maintain the attendance they have currently. Like widening the seat space at BPS a few years ago, while sacrificing capacity. I could see us adding more A/V things, concession improvements, maybe a scaled down version of a Cowboy Village for pre and post game entertainment.

MustangPokeFan

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2005
Mustang, Ok
www.newshoesband.net
If you build it, they will come......and minor sports will receive funding benefits. There could also be some more affordable season ticket areas for folks who would like to but can't afford it. Make those areas exempt from the Posse fees and you'd sell a bunch.....and nobody will come? Sure, nobody wants to see OSU-USC, OSU-Oregon, OSU-UCLA, OSU-Stanford, OSU-Washington, etc. etc. The reality is the excitement level would dwarf the current Big 12 games!

Aug 16, 2012
If we do anything to the stadium, we should dome it. That would be epic and clearly set us apart from any college in the country. We have the perfect built in neighbor with GIA to make the roof retractable too. Make it look and feel like playing at Cowboys Stadium in Dallas.
Because I agree, we aren’t getting more people in the stadium. And honestly you don’t need to. Doming the place would make it feel significantly louder.
Fun fact most OSU alums are not aware of. The Astrodome roof was engineered by Louis Bass, a former architectural engineering professor at OSU (not sure if he is even alive still). He designed it with manual calculations about five years before construction started. The delay was because there were skeptics so he worked with HP to develop the structural engineering programs necessary to check his own math and only then did they begin construction. He did all the early biggies including the Super Dome and Texas Stadium as well.

Rumor had it (sorry @snuffy ) that he had standing tickets to any event he wanted at any time he wanted at the venues.

Guy was a genius. A couple times a semester he would let students convince him to do a running challenge, that he could solve on the board any two multiplier equation of up to something like eight digits each...before we could get the answer using our calculators. HP gifted him a state-of-the-art supercomputer mainframe about every other year and despite his proclivity with structures...he was allergic to steel. Had to wear his watch in a leather pouch in his shirt pocket.

Dec 16, 2019
Tulsa
The trend, across all sports, is a decline in attendance….I just can’t see us adding more seats, that frankly we don’t need now and may never need.
All sports, pro and college are now more interested in improving the in person experience to try and maintain the attendance they have currently. Like widening the seat space at BPS a few years ago, while sacrificing capacity. I could see us adding more A/V things, concession improvements, maybe a scaled down version of a Cowboy Village for pre and post game entertainment.
This for sure, I love the actual game experience plus tailgating and all of those good feelers you get when walking around campus on gameday. I can see the other side of it though for some fans, especially ones who have to drive in at least an hour or so and then add on finding parking. Many people are choosing to watch at home, especially since the addition of espn+, because overall it is much cheaper for the family.

Boomer.....

Territorial Marshal
Feb 15, 2007
OKC
OSU has trouble selling out 55K. They certainly don't need to think about adding significant capacity at this time. The best bang for your buck is upgrades to the player facilities (gym, locker rooms, etc.) where you can wow the recruits. Bring in the better recruits and win more. Win more and attendance goes up.

Sep 29, 2006

Here is a sketchup 3d from the original designers of BPS of an upper deck addition. it is pretty pixelated, but you can see the concept. As I remember it would add 20K seats. View attachment 91322 .
my point is that I doubt we generate much more or less revenue from football season tickets regardless of conference affiliation.