New Double Deck at BPS?

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Oct 6, 2012
OSU has trouble selling out 55K. They certainly don't need to think about adding significant capacity at this time. The best bang for your buck is upgrades to the player facilities (gym, locker rooms, etc.) where you can wow the recruits. Bring in the better recruits and win more. Win more and attendance goes up.
So I guess once ou goes to the SEC they will not need as many seats in their stadium :D

I kid, I kid

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
Football is the only money maker sport, none of the others come close. Why would you spend money on revenue losers? Having said that we do need to fix several sports that haven't been improved yet IMO. I don't think we would add the deck as it would be empty regardless of where we go to play. Not enough alums to fill it. We aren't like OU that has fans down every red dirt road and in every trailer park.

Here is a sketchup 3d from the original designers of BPS of an upper deck addition. it is pretty pixelated, but you can see the concept. As I remember it would add 20K seats. View attachment 91322 .
my point is that I doubt we generate much more or less revenue from football season tickets regardless of conference affiliation.
Long term, which schedule will we sell more tickets?

An AAC schedule
A Big 8 schedule
A B10 schedule
A PAC12 schedule

You’re nuts if you think it’s the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 27, 2018
okc
Ok so, we build a new shell up against the current GIA. Once basketball season is over, we knock out the east side of the arena and mega move the historic part into the new shell.

Then we tear down the current GIA and bowl in Boone Pickens.

Then we build a retractable roof like the diamonbacks Chase Field.

Put giant video boards at both ends of the upper deck, and voila, Bob's your uncle.

pokefan05

Country Boys Country Toys
A/V Subscriber
Dec 6, 2006
Tulsa
OSU has trouble selling out 55K. They certainly don't need to think about adding significant capacity at this time. The best bang for your buck is upgrades to the player facilities (gym, locker rooms, etc.) where you can wow the recruits. Bring in the better recruits and win more. Win more and attendance goes up.
Hey brotha, worry about you and yours and I'll take care of me and mine. OSU living rent free in your head son lol

Jun 5, 2020
OKC
Read the Tulsa World article in which Bill Haistien said Chad Weiberg has asked Gundy what improvements to BPS he needs to remain competitive. Then saw Pistol Rick's photoshopped double decker BPS. Haistein feels like a major announcement will occur about BOS by the end of the year. Anyone in the know have more specific info on what types of improvements are on the table>
If you read Haisten's article, Weiberg's comment was:
"'...one week after he had become the new Oklahoma State athletic director and 13 days before he was clotheslined by the first report that OU and Texas were partnering on a transfer to the SEC

I would think any announcement is now paused or dead given the current know outlook for TV revenue

Feb 25, 2008
Fun fact most OSU alums are not aware of. The Astrodome roof was engineered by Louis Bass, a former architectural engineering professor at OSU (not sure if he is even alive still).
I grew up going through school with his daughter. We talked today (because of this post) and she said I could share this photo.

1628204126718.png

Jan 1, 2011
tx
I grew up going through school with his daughter. We talked today (because of this post) and she said I could share this photo.

View attachment 91343
I believe he recently passed away. I saw him last in 2015, at my 50th year class anniversary at the school of Architecture. Just checked, he passed in 2017. Stillwater News press obit. Wants you to subscribe, got a screen shot before the page was covered. He was a great one. RIP
1628222044069.png

fratdaddy

Banned
Banned
Jun 13, 2010
Chicago
The rumors are abounding right now. RA said on his radio show that the Big 10 may be a possibility, because they may drop their AAU membership requirement to join. The next few weeks should be really interesting.
I mocked up what stadium expansion might look like with conference realignment on the horizon.

I feel like I'm watching the evolution of Kyle Field in the SEC.

Regarding the OU fan who said we "have trouble filling a 55K seat stadium." OSU, in our most recent full capacity season (a down year with no good non-con games), utilized 98.8% of our stadium capacity. You can lie to yourself all you want, cherry pick one or two games when fans were pissed at Gundy, but OSU actually performs well in attendance overall.

https://pistolsfiringblog.com/osus-2019-attendance-average-would-rank-third-among-pac-12-schools/

The only PAC 12 school with similar utilization to us is Oregon, which fills the vaunted Autzen Zoo with 54,000 screaming fans. Honestly both OSU and Oregon should probably look at stadium expansion. USC, Cal, and UCLA probably not lol.

So many of you just tell yourself certain stories rather than looking at the data. The professionals are going to be making data-informed decisions, not storytime-perception-informed decisions.

Last edited:

fratdaddy

Banned
Banned
Jun 13, 2010
Chicago
Lets find a conference to play iN before we do anything to BPS.
Chicken or egg. Since we can't just outright bribe the Big Ten to take us, might as well spend it on the facilities we're going to lean on to get into a conference. Renovated athletic facilities and a new deck would make us a lock for a super conference.

Honestly I think we should just renovate the West End Zone facility and then add half a deck, maybe 10,000 seats, on the south side where there's some extra room. Get BPS up to 65,000 and call it good. Since they reduced capacity to improve experience, we have been on the small side.

Texas A&M built themselves up once they get their foot in the door, but we may have to do it the other way around.

More Cowbell

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2005
Highland Village, TX
We have great facilities. I honestly can't think of much that is lacking that would be a draw to fans or recruits. With the new NIL rules allowing players to essentially be bought, that sadly is the best way to spend a few million.

NinjaPoke

Cowboy
A/V Subscriber
Jul 9, 2016
Lawton, OK
Our main problem is that students tend to leave at halftime. Usually the frat and sorority kids. People show up and fill the stadium no problem. By 4th quarter, the stadium looks half full.

I Had many friends who would leave during half time. Doesn’t even matter the score. Many of my friends blamed the stadium price for alcohol and food. Cited that they can just go to a tailgate and get all that for much cheaper, if not free.

I believe that’s what OSU needs to figure out how to maintain a full stadium throughout the entire 4 quarters. We have to remember that when fans leave the game, that affects the football team as well.

jobob85

Drunkle
A/V Subscriber
Mar 11, 2009
Our main problem is that students tend to leave at halftime. Usually the frat and sorority kids. People show up and fill the stadium no problem. By 4th quarter, the stadium looks half full.

I Had many friends who would leave during half time. Doesn’t even matter the score. Many of my friends blamed the stadium price for alcohol and food. Cited that they can just go to a tailgate and get all that for much cheaper, if not free.

I believe that’s what OSU needs to figure out how to maintain a full stadium throughout the entire 4 quarters. We have to remember that when fans leave the game, that affects the football team as well.
Maybe they could give a class on being a better fan. They could teach it at the library during the 4th qtr of home games.

Jun 4, 2014
Dallas, TX

Dome it! It won’t be hotter than hell. Prime examples can be found in Houston and Arlington with the Astros and Rangers. People will stay in the stands if their shorts aren’t sticking to the bleachers with swamp a**.

I was Greek and left during the games many times. That side of the field is incredibly hot during Gundy’s preferred time of 2:30 kick offs. That’s literally the hottest part of the day. Also we were usually up big so the games were over at least by 3rd quarter.

Jun 27, 2018
okc
At some point in the future, after wreastling, softball, and track facilities are taken care of, I'd like to see us endow the concessions. If you can bring concessions down to a cheap price, you'll draw more people, especially in the Olympic sports. A family night out shouldn't be at Disney prices.

andylicious

Territorial Marshal
Nov 16, 2013
tractor
Announce the homecoming awards after the homecoming game instead of at halftime. That’s the only games the Greeks show up for anyways
how about if the actual homecoming win doesn't become official until after the final game of the season and the attendance is counted in the 4th quarter of each home game.