New Double Deck at BPS?

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Nov 21, 2018
Amelia Island, FL
I was Greek and went to all the games and stayed til the bitter end (mid to late 90’s). I did that because I love OSU and grew up idolizing some of the players. I also had friends who came from TX or AR who couldn’t have cared less about OSU growing up. They went to games too, but weren’t emotionally invested like I was. So if they could leave to grab a beer or go to the Wormy Dog, they would. If we lost (back then it was a lot), it would ruin my night…still does to this day. But I’ve always been in the minority when it comes to my passion about OSU athletics. As a whole, we have a passive fan base. Just the way it is…Greek or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jostate

Identifies as a Cowboys fan
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
I was Greek and went to all the games and stayed til the bitter end (mid to late 90’s). I did that because I love OSU and grew up idolizing some of the players. I also had friends who came from TX or AR who couldn’t have cared less about OSU growing up. They went to games too, but weren’t emotionally invested like I was. So if they could leave to grab a beer or go to the Wormy Dog, they would. If we lost (back then it was a lot), it would ruin my night…still does to this day. But I’ve always been in the minority when it comes to my passion about OSU athletics. As a whole, we have a passive fan base. Just the way it is…Greek or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I remember when I first started at OSU, and assumed I was surrounded by like minded people. The night of the first away game, before all the games were on TV, I was at a bar. I asked the bartender if he had heard the score of the game, and his response was "what game"?

I realized then not everyone shared my passion.

OstatePokes

Territorial Marshal
Aug 24, 2007
Knoxville, Tennessee
I remember when I first started at OSU, and assumed I was surrounded by like minded people. The night of the first away game, before all the games were on TV, I was at a bar. I asked the bartender if he had heard the score of the game, and his response was "what game"?

I realized then not everyone shared my passion.
In general I have found that is the one area where the SEC is consistently better than all other conferences: fan passion and engagement. We have some great fans, but we have lots of fans that honestly don’t care that much.

Apr 7, 2006
Considering how the system creates an upper tier in college football that's essentially inaccessible to schools like OSU for any consistent period of time... I would gladly be willing to trade any chance at a national championship the next 10 years for the same number of wins as we've had the last 10.

Feb 25, 2008
Dome it! It won’t be hotter than hell. Prime examples can be found in Houston and Arlington with the Astros and Rangers. People will stay in the stands if their shorts aren’t sticking to the bleachers with swamp a**.

I was Greek and left during the games many times. That side of the field is incredibly hot during Gundy’s preferred time of 2:30 kick offs. That’s literally the hottest part of the day. Also we were usually up big so the games were over at least by 3rd quarter.
Rumor has it that OSU is going to dome the stadium with a roof that looks like a cowboy hat....

At least that's how I remember the rumor back in the 80's (I think).

Oct 1, 2006
Lagos, Nigeria
Rumor has it that OSU is going to dome the stadium with a roof that looks like a cowboy hat....

At least that's how I remember the rumor back in the 80's (I think).
I heard that in the 90's as well. I do remember a somewhat more serious proposal (might have been one of Terry Don's ideas) to build a structure similar to the Carrier Dome at Syracuse.

Jun 29, 2004
La Jolla, California
I heard that in the 90's as well. I do remember a somewhat more serious proposal (might have been one of Terry Don's ideas) to build a structure similar to the Carrier Dome at Syracuse.
When I was at OSU in the mid-90s I had heard we were going to bowl in the west end zone and Budweiser was going to put up the money for sponsorship rights and we had to start allowing beer sales inside the stadium. There was also a proposed idea to moving a new football stadium to western part of Stillwater away from campus.

Duke Silver

Find safe haven in a warm bathtub full of my jazz.
A/V Subscriber
Sep 17, 2004
Cozy's Bar
When I was at OSU in the mid-90s I had heard we were going to bowl in the west end zone and Budweiser was going to put up the money for sponsorship rights and we had to start allowing beer sales inside the stadium. There was also a proposed idea to moving a new football stadium to western part of Stillwater away from campus.
Still on campus but out by floral gardens thing. That field where the pigs were

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
OSU has trouble selling out 55K. They certainly don't need to think about adding significant capacity at this time. The best bang for your buck is upgrades to the player facilities (gym, locker rooms, etc.) where you can wow the recruits. Bring in the better recruits and win more. Win more and attendance goes up.
You mean win more than 11th best winning percentage record in the country over the last decade? We are winning big time and it hasn’t done that trick yet. It’s a chicken and egg issue…I believe the fans have to come to increase the winning…not ONLY vice versa. But this plan, which I wanted a decade ago, is past it’s time especially with covid decreases in fan interest in general. First we have to win back just casual college football fans to the game.

Jostate

Identifies as a Cowboys fan
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
You mean win more than 11th best winning percentage record in the country over the last decade? We are winning big time and it hasn’t done that trick yet. It’s a chicken and egg issue…I believe the fans have to come to increase the winning…not ONLY vice versa. But this plan, which I wanted a decade ago, is past it’s time especially with covid decreases in fan interest in general. First we have to win back just casual college football fans to the game.
It helps to basically be a suburb of a city with a greater metro population of a million and a half.

gundysburner

Territorial Marshal
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
I believe he recently passed away. I saw him last in 2015, at my 50th year class anniversary at the school of Architecture. Just checked, he passed in 2017. Stillwater News press obit. Wants you to subscribe, got a screen shot before the page was covered. He was a great one. RIP
View attachment 91344
Weren't he and Dean Irby also designers of the old Dallas Cowboys stadium?

Aug 16, 2012
See #13 and several following posts regarding Bass. He teamed up with Irby later but he was with Roof Structures at the time he designed the three biggies. I am not aware of Irby's contributions to the ventures.

Dec 21, 2008
That's okay. We're happy with the true football fans.
The good ole #loyalandtrue motto. I have worked the sidelines unlike you. I have donated more $ than you. I have probably attended more games than you and I am in my 30s. I am saying the atmosphere is boring and these games going nearly 4 hrs makes it less enjoyable to watch. I guess the "true fans" are the 1200 there at the end who spent 5+ hours in the stadium to do the 2min alma mater at then end with the band.

Jan 1, 2011
tx
Irby taught specification writing and was an Architect, doubtful he was involved. He was partnered with 2 other Architects who taught at the SOA. I lived in a 3-4 apt. building he owned my 5 year. Don't remember the street it was on.

Edit:
A. Warren Morey Architect of Record
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_Stadium

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2009
The good ole #loyalandtrue motto. I have worked the sidelines unlike you. I have donated more $ than you. I have probably attended more games than you and I am in my 30s. I am saying the atmosphere is boring and these games going nearly 4 hrs makes it less enjoyable to watch. I guess the "true fans" are the 1200 there at the end who spent 5+ hours in the stadium to do the 2min alma mater at then end with the band.
whoa watch out guys we got a big donor over here

Aug 16, 2012

Duke Silver

Find safe haven in a warm bathtub full of my jazz.
A/V Subscriber
Sep 17, 2004
Cozy's Bar
I can prove mine. Im # 35 on the donor list as of July 10, 2008

https://okstate.com/news/2008/7/10/Top_150_Donors.aspx