New Jumbotron in BPS

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
According to the article, the current boards are 945 square feet.
Assuming they are square, thats approx 31 feet wide x 31 feet high

new board of 110' wide is approx 3.5 times as wide, and 60' high is approx twice as high.

Quick "photoshop" of what it could look like.

View attachment 60463
Would go down to not cover up suites.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Jan 1, 2011
Houston
I sincerely hope that they do not take up the jumbotron screen with ads as they did with the small ones. The Texans installed 2 huge ones at each end zone. They are filled with ads making the actual image quite smaller. It depends on the proportions of the screen as to how ads might be used.

Approx jumbotron with ads.jpg

ReliantStadium.jpg

Feb 25, 2008
With widescreen video at a 16:9 ratio, the the height of the video board at 56 feet, then the normal width would be approx 100 feet, leaving only 10 feet of the 110 feet for ads.... perhaps..... perhaps not.

Note, Reliant Stadium video board has an image area of 52.49 by 277.17 feet. 93 feet would be the normal widescreen width, leaving 194 feet for ads.

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2018
Tulsa
www.tulsaworld.com
Mark Cooper with more info:

The installation of the new video board, a 6,160-square foot behemoth measuring 56 feet high and 110 feet wide, will be on the agenda for the OSU/A&M Board of Regents to approve Friday.

All told, the project will cost $5 million. All funding comes from private donors.

The project, which also includes camera, software and video upgrades for OSU’s Orange Power Studios and the football coach’s level, is expected to be complete in August 2018, in time for OSU’s season opener against Missouri State on Sept. 1.
Link

Aug 7, 2006
But will the orange actually look orange instead of red?

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk
They're upgrading cameras, so I'd say it's likely. Orange is a tough color to shade for cameras though. I'd expect more problems shading cameras(especially at night) with how bright the screen will be and how close it is to the field.

Aug 8, 2006
Tulsa, OK
Why don’t they leave the existing boards for ads and use the entire new jumbotron for video? Doesn’t make sense to donate a board to baseball as they are getting all new stuff. Softball could probably use one but would rather not compromise part of the new board.

bacowboy

Territorial Marshal
Nov 4, 2004
BA
Why don’t they leave the existing boards for ads and use the entire new jumbotron for video? Doesn’t make sense to donate a board to baseball as they are getting all new stuff. Softball could probably use one but would rather not compromise part of the new board.
Listening to RA this morning he said he was told (by someone within the ath. dept,) that this is what they are going to do. He said the 4 smaller boards will be used like ribbon boards and display ads, scores from around the country, among other things.

Jostate

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
I know I'm recycling my old stuff but this is what it reminds me of. My mock up of what it will look like when completed:

We just need a giant set of rabbit ears on top of GIA.
1524227493289.png

Nov 16, 2013
tractor
A few observations:

1. Thank heavens the new jumbotron will displace the existing scoreboard and force it to be addressed. Hopefully something more fitting for P5 program is planned along with the new ‘tron instead of relocating the old one. It is pitiful.
2. How cool will it be for icing opposing kickers kicking towards the east goalpost? A nice closeup head shot on the screen while they are lining up will be glorious. Black screen for our kickers, of course.
3. Will it cover our 1945 National Champs banner? Please say it ain’t so!! </sarcasm?>
Why not a spirograph and a soft "shank, shank, shank, shank" through the speakers?

CPTNQUIRK

I'm Your Captain!
A/V Subscriber
Nov 20, 2006
In the Boondocks in Creek County, Oklahoma
https://twitter.com/cowboyfb/status/987361951151022080?s=21
Boone Pickens Stadium Getting Large New Video Board

Apr. 20, 2018 Football
STILLWATER – The fan experience at Oklahoma State football games in Boone Pickens Stadium will be significantly improved in 2018 with the addition of one of the largest video boards at a college football-only stadium.

OSU's new board, which will be located in the east end zone on the outside wall of Gallagher-Iba Arena, measures roughly 56 feet tall and 110 feet wide and has the ability to show live action and full-screen replays at better than 1080HD resolution. It's the eighth-largest video board at a college football-only stadium and has the capability to be windowed into multiple screens that show video, stats, out-of-town scores and more.

"This board not only modernizes the game day experience in Boone Pickens Stadium, but it also brings Oklahoma State to the forefront in this area," said Athletic Director Mike Holder. "We have taken input from fans and I believe that adding a premium board like this is a game-changer for all of us who attend Cowboy football games.

"We are very grateful to Gary and Claudia Humphreys for making this possible," Holder said. "Gary and Claudia are very passionate football fans. They travel from the Dallas-Fort Worth area to attend each Oklahoma State game every year -- home and away. On our open weeks they find another game to attend. Obviously, they have been in a lot of college football stadiums. We all owe them a big thank you for recognizing the need for a bigger video board in Boone Pickens Stadium and willingness to make the gift that made it possible."

Work has already begun on the project. Installation of the board itself will take place in July, with August 1 set as the target date of completion.

Daktronics is the manufacturer of the board and is teaming up with W&W Steel out of Oklahoma City on the project.

"The recent trend is that video boards in college football stadiums are getting bigger and bigger, but what sets this particular one apart is the fact that it's so close to the field," said Daktronics' Perry Grave. "This board is not on top of the upper deck, far away from the action. It's much closer. The quality of the board, combined with its proximity to the field will give fans a much larger, brighter and better picture."

Graves said another unique feature of this board is its brightness. He said it registers at 11,000 nits of brightness, while most similar boards measure 7,000 nits. The reason for the amplified brightness is to account for the fact that OSU's board faces west. That said, the brightness can be adjusted manually to achieve optimum brightness regardless of the position of the sun.

All funds used for the board were raised privately, with no expense to taxpayers.

The Cowboys open the season when they host Missouri State on September 1 and have seven home games this season. The deadline to renew season tickets is May 1.

Feb 27, 2018
Tulsa
www.tulsaworld.com
The latest from Mark Cooper...

The project, which also includes camera, software and video upgrades for OSU’s Orange Power Studios and the football coach’s level, is expected to be complete in time for OSU’s season opener against Missouri State on Sept. 1.

The video board will be the third-largest in the Big 12 behind Oklahoma’s (7,849 square feet) and Texas’ (7,370 square feet). Oklahoma State previously had the smallest video board in the conference (945 square feet).
Link