New National Political Party Formed - The Forward Party

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Sep 12, 2008
Dozens of former Republican and Democratic officials announced on Wednesday a new national political third party to appeal to millions of voters they say are dismayed with what they see as America's dysfunctional two-party system.

The new party, called Forward and whose creation was first reported by Reuters, will initially be co-chaired by former Democratic presidential candidate Andrew Yang and Christine Todd Whitman, the former Republican governor of New Jersey. They hope the party will become a viable alternative to the Republican and Democratic parties that dominate U.S. politics, founding members told Reuters.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/exclusive-former-republicans-democrats-form-223654665.html

The party, which is centrist, has no specific policies yet. It will say at its Thursday launch: "How will we solve the big issues facing America? Not Left. Not Right. Forward."

May 31, 2007
Concord
I was a D until around 2018 and am an I now. I think I would actually be re-energized if a serious 3rd party came along that wasn’t obsessed with Trump, Hunter, Putin, J6, abortion, immigration, guns, Police shootings, LGBT, etcetera and instead focused on issues that affect the overall populace and not just slivers of it.

Mar 11, 2006
If this party can be center-right on economic issues and liberal, but reasonable, on social issues they will be have a high chance of getting my vote.
I will concur. With slightly amended language.

I hope their platform is libertarian in nature with an eye to help youths and elderly in economically challenged environments. And I hope their leaders truly attempt to build through consensus and not fear-mongering and divisiveness.

There is a definitive need for a viable 3rd party. A successful one would truly pull the Dems and Reps from catering to the more extreme sides of their bases. And I don't think it is overly dramatic to state -- a viable 3rd party would be one of the best things to happen for our country.

OSU79

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 22, 2009
Back home in God's (Green) Country
If this party can be center/center-right/right on economic issues and center-right/center/center-left on social issues they have a high chance of getting my vote.
fifm(me). I feel like my target ranges are huge, yet no one can hit both. Of course, the real answer is no one who hits both will be put forth by Dems or Reps, so a third party is my only hope.

OSU79

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 22, 2009
Back home in God's (Green) Country

I hope their platform is libertarian in nature with an eye to help youths and elderly in economically challenged environments. And I hope their leaders truly attempt to build through consensus and not fear-mongering and divisiveness.

There is a definitive need for a viable 3rd party. A successful one would truly pull the Dems and Reps from catering to the more extreme sides of their bases. And I don't think it is overly dramatic to state -- a viable 3rd party would be one of the best things to happen for our country.
You beat me to it.

StillwaterTownie

Federal Marshal
Jun 18, 2010
Where else but Stillwater

The Libertarian Party has been on the ballot for years but it has gotten nowhere. People voting for their incumbents nearly every time, rather than protesting by voting for a 3rd party will always keep both major parties in power.

If people want to significantly change public policy or repeal new laws they don't like, they have to petition for a vote on proposals in states where they can. But funny how Oklahoma has focused mainly on pot petitions since 2014. Nobody wants to say no to Republicans by petitioning to raise the minimum wage. Will Oklahomans petition to repeal extremist abortion laws? Who knows?

A billionaire, Ross Perot, couldn't form a sustained 3rd party. Anyway, if people would only vote out some incumbents, it would sure send a message to Democrats and Republicans that maybe they're not doing something right after all. If doing so enough times, it will surely be easier to change the agendas of the two major political parties than form a new one. The last time something like this happened in Oklahoma was in the 2018 primary. Alarmingly, more than usual Republican incumbents lost plus the passage of SQ 788 sent shockwaves to the Oklahoma Republican Party. It led to calling off a special session to implement legal medical marijuana and let the state health dept. worry about getting it all done.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
I would love to live through an age where a new national party emerges and gains power

Those are the things they write about in history books....it's happened many times in our history but I don't think whil any of us have been alive

It was just be amazing and fascinating to see just from a historical context

oks10

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 9, 2007
Piedmont, OK
I would love to live through an age where a new national party emerges and gains power

Those are the things they write about in history books....it's happened many times in our history but I don't think whil any of us have been alive

It was just be amazing and fascinating to see just from a historical context
There's a lot better opportunity now with social media. If they're gonna do this, they need to do it and do it big to get as much attention as possible.

UrbanCowboy1

Some cowboys gots smarts real good like me.
Aug 8, 2006
Phoenix, AZ

Based on what I've seen from Yang, that seems to be his MO. He's a politician, for sure, but he doesn't race-bait and he doesn't kowtow to the far left and at least tries to come up with sensible solutions.

UrbanCowboy1

Some cowboys gots smarts real good like me.
Aug 8, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
What I was talking about urban cowboy only bringing up the left not the new party
Bruh. The original post said: I hope their leaders truly attempt to build through consensus and not fear-mongering and divisiveness.

Yang is the leader of this new party. He was a democrat so I discussed his relationship with the Democratic party. I didn't bring up other political parties because we were discussing Yang and how he operates. I don't know how to make that any simpler.

If it makes you feel any better, people on the right that join the new party will need to not engage in ad hominem attacks or blanket Trump support (obvious, since R's are now essentially just Trump acolytes). Better?