1. You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

NOK - Boynton ready to work on team, fans

Discussion in 'OSU Sports Forum' started by Gman, Mar 25, 2017.

1. CPTNQUIRK

CPTNQUIRK I'm Your Captain!
    A/V Subscriber

At least the spring football game is Saturday. The discussion about it should get us through the weekend. Then back to horse beating.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Class of 1970

Class of 1970 Cowboy

I was not implying that Holder should have paid the ransom. Just the opposite. I am glad he did not. But Holder should have sought out a very successful coach and paid that coach 3 million. Especially if it was true that it was an asst. coach who created the change in defense after the losing streak. Instead, the AD has brought on board someone who is unproven in the role of head coach. The pressure should be on Holder next season, not Boynton. I don't expect that much from Boynton other than hard work at recruiting, anything else would be a welcome bonus next season. But if the team is a bust, then it is time for the Cowboy wearing the biggest hat to ride off into the sunset.

3. ScooberJake

ScooberJake Territorial Marshal

Well, I agree that Underwood was offered more than he has proven to be worth by Illinois. But unless I've missed something (entirely possible) we don't know what Underwood required in order to stay at OSU. It may have been less than the $3M.

But what appears to be the case from the reports is that the relationship with Holder was fractured long before the Illini came calling. Part of being a good boss is developing good working relationships with your employees. Obviously I haven't directly observed Holder interacting with the coaches, but from all indications Holder sucks at that part of his job.

Regarding the Great Debacle, I would say Underwood's resume at this point is a good couple of notches better than Ford's after his first year at OSU. Furthermore, the issue with Ford's contract wasn't the yearly salary, it was the length of the contract. Paying Underwood to keep him doesn't mean repeating past mistakes.

• Like Like x 2
  4. CPTNQUIRK

A/V Subscriber

I agree with most of what you said. Holder did check out the head coaches who he thought he could get that met the criteria. Unfortunately, they weren't interested or wanted more than $3M. He wasn't going to pay an assistant coach that much and I agree with him in that regard. Boynton has all the necessary credentials except head coaching experience. I thought Holder screwed up royally at first, but I now think he did exactly what he should have done.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Class of 1970

Class of 1970 Cowboy

Top coaches not being interested in OSU for whatever reasons may well be the case. If so, then we have who we have and we hope for the best and go on from there. None of us really know what Holder did or did not do leading up to the departure of the coach and then after the departure. It is all speculation, hearsay without having facts to go by. So I guess I will drop the judging of Holder and Boynton and just go back to watching Cowboy basketball next season, and like any other year, just see what happens as there will be both good and bad things.
    In the words of the late Jim McKay, "The Ecstasy of Victory and the Agony of Defeat"

6. CPTNQUIRK

A/V Subscriber

I don't think Jim McKay ever used ecstasy.

Introduction[edit]
    The program's introductory sequence was accompanied by a stirring, brassy musical fanfare (composed by Charles Fox), set over a montage of sports clips and accompanying narration written by Stanley Ralph Ross and voiced by McKay:

Spanning the globe to bring you the constant variety of sport... the thrill of victory... and the agony of defeat... the human drama of athletic competition... This is ABC's Wide World of Sports!

7. Class of 1970

Class of 1970 Cowboy

Thank you for the correction of the quote. I was confusing it with the movie called, "The Agony and the Ecstasy."
    Speaking of ABC Sports and really being off topic, I was always grateful for ABC televising the championship round of the NCAA Wrestling Tournament
    I was at the tournament at Northwestern U. in 1970 when Bud Palmer of ABC wearing the yellow sport jacket would interview each winner immediately following their match. He had to wait for one of the crazy Keller twins to stop dragging his brother by the feet all across the mat in celebration of the victory. That was a tough tournament in that OSU had I think 3 champions but we still only finished 4th that year. I think both Keller twins won and I know Goeff Baum from Allentown, PA also won.

8. pennpoke

pennpoke Deputy
    A/V Subscriber

Two words. Graham twins.

• Like Like x 2
  9. go pokes!

go pokes! Cowboy

as soon as the season starts and we are winning team, all will be right againg

10. Class of 1970

Class of 1970 Cowboy

GIA always fills up as soon as the wins build up. It is simple as that. Mike Holder, please take note of that!
    So put a winning coach in there and he will be able to attract winning players, including from Miami.

11. CPTNQUIRK

A/V Subscriber

How do you know that Holder hasn't put a coach in there that will win?

• Like Like x 2
  12. Paddytap288

Paddytap288 Deputy

I'm with you here. At first I hated this hire but as time goes on I think it was our best option we had. We retained our top recruit, we are apparently close on landing a big-time AAU assistant, we still have Evans on staff, and this team has the pieces in place NOW to be a threat in the big-12. With some solid coaching I think this team has a shot at finishing top 3 in the league this year.

Let's just pray that success doesn't = losing another coach.

13. triton1995

triton1995 Cowboy

Big get by coach B.
    https://twitter.com/_mkj24/status/853629766909521920

14. POPOKE

POPOKE Sheriff
    A/V Subscriber

It's actually a big get for Assistant Coach Cooper. So for all the people who didn't like that hire, have a little crow with your Easter dinner.

15. Paddytap288

Paddytap288 Deputy

Boom

16. Birry

Birry Federal Marshal

When/where was this reported? Maybe it was and I just forgot already (wouldn't be the first time).

17. OSUMIKE17

OSUMIKE17 Property of The Oklahoman and NewsOk.com
    A/V Subscriber

He stated it in an interview after he hired Boynton. Basically, the search committee came back with a handful of names and they either wanted too much money or Holder felt they weren't a good fit for the type of coach needed to succeed in Stillwater.

That last part is obviously up for interpretation but my guess is that he is looking for a coach that can thrive in a small college town atmosphere and loves being a part of it. He didn't want to bring in a "big city" coach that would leave as soon as he could.

• Like Like x 2
  18. CPTNQUIRK

A/V Subscriber

Thank you, Mike.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Birry

Birry Federal Marshal

The debatable part for most would probably be the "too much money" part. I wonder what that number was? Too much, apparently...

20. CPTNQUIRK

A/V Subscriber

See my post #84 on this page.