O'Brien to OSU?

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 27, 2011
Oklahoma City, OK
Anaranjado said:
it'd be like saying "dont take brandon weeden, alex cate is our guy. if you dont believe in alex cate, you dont believe in this team"
That's not even close to being the same. Weeden was already here competing for the job as well. We didn't go out to get him. We are good to go, another unproven QB isn't necessary.

Celldweller7

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Jul 17, 2004
A very specific place
If they do, then they do. I won't agree with it at all, I don't see any good out of it. What's the point in going after these big recruits just to go get someone else and possibly force some of the guys we have now out? It's just a bad move IMO.
If it happens (and that is the most important part of this post) it tells me the staff is not sold on Chelf and/or Walsh or just doesn't want to create the offense around Walsh's skill set. None of our QBs are really big recruits by the way, especially not Chelf. Not saying that doesn't mean he can't go 26-0 two years as a starter though.

JoshOSU420

Athletic Supporter
Aug 12, 2004
OKC
Have you not liked what you've seen from Chelf? He looks very solid to be and will be, IMO, just as good as Weeden was with very little drop off. Feel the same way about Walsh as well.
Okay, you just gave yourself up. I wondered if you were just trollin'. Now this proves it.

Nov 6, 2010
Olathe, Kansas
This guy was the ACC Rookie of the year his freshman season on a 9-4 team that was 2-10 the year before. He can play. He was also on the preseason Davey O'Brien watch list this year. He is really really good. I think he could come in and start.

Jun 27, 2011
Oklahoma City, OK
JoshOSU420 said:
Okay, you just gave yourself up. I wondered if you were just trollin'. Now this proves it.
You're out of your mind if you think I'm trolling. All I do is watch our QBs in warm up, practice and such. I played QB in high school so I can appreciate their skill, and I see good things from our current QBs. You can call me crazy all you want, but our offense will not drop off at all with Chelf or Walsh running the show.

Anaranjado

It is Stillwater, not Stilly.
A/V Subscriber
Feb 9, 2011
Denver, CO
You're out of your mind if you think I'm trolling. All I do is watch our QBs in warm up, practice and such. I played QB in high school so I can appreciate their skill, and I see good things from our current QBs. You can call me crazy all you want, but our offense will not drop off at all with Chelf or Walsh running the show.
the offense may or may not drop off. what i think we are trying to say is that it is still an unknown so added competition cannot hurt. although chelf may end up being as successful as weeden, i refuse to believe that you know that he is as good just from playing high school football and watching warmups.. sorry.

JoshOSU420

Athletic Supporter
Aug 12, 2004
OKC
Wait now, you said Chelf will be "just as good as Weeden"; the best QB in school history. This is different than saying our offense wont drop off much. You can't go back now.

Nov 26, 2006
For what it's worth, I listen to the Tony Kornheiser show and they discuss Maryland athletics all the time. They have talked about O'Brien leaving at length and think it might cost Edsall his job, because of how important the alumni have felt O'Brien is to being part of their future success. For awhile Edsall wasn't going to let O'Brien leave until bad PR pressured him to grant him his release. This kid is a BIG get for whatever school locks him down from what they say about him.
As for our QB situation, having a lot of QB's does not equal being "stacked" at QB. We aren't in a USC situation where you have Matt Cassell sitting on the bench behind Matt Lienart. Chelf has looked average at best in his clean up time this year. And Walsh and Lunt are still quite young and inexperienced.
Our team is still loaded at RB and WR. If the coaches think they can get a kid that can come right in and keep our team at it's recent level, they are going to do it every time. Especially when you see what Russell Wilson did for Wisconsin last year.
If this happens, I will be very excited.

Jun 27, 2011
Oklahoma City, OK
JoshOSU420 said:
Wait now, you said Chelf will be "just as good as Weeden"; the best QB in school history. This is different than saying our offense wont drop off much. You can't go back now.
Anaranjado said:
the offense may or may not drop off. what i think we are trying to say is that it is still an unknown so added competition cannot hurt. although chelf may end up being as successful as weeden, i refuse to believe that you know that he is as good just from playing high school football and watching warmups.. sorry.
I'm not going back on anything what-so-ever I stand by saying that Chelf will be just as good, which also means the offense will not drop off.

And I can believe it, and here is why. We all remember the Colorado game where Weeden shined. I can put my hand on the bible, and look you in the eye and swear that I said from watching Weeden during warm-ups that he should start over Cate.

OSUndefeated

Federal Marshal
Apr 25, 2011
Have you not liked what you've seen from Chelf? He looks very solid to be and will be, IMO, just as good as Weeden was with very little drop off. Feel the same way about Walsh as well.
Wow. Weeden is going to go on to be a NFL starter. If you think Chelf will come in and produce the same success that Weeden did right off the bat with no drop of (if he even wins the job!) you are delusional. They really aren't even that similar as QB's. Chelf is more mobile, but does not have close to the arm-strength that Weeden does. How can you say that a player that has only had minimal game experience in mop up duty is going to be just as good as an All-Big 12 and at one point Heisman contending QB in his first season as a starter?

You have yet to explain to me why adding a quality QB to the roster would be a bad idea. It will push every QB to be better. What is the negative of that?

Status
Not open for further replies.