Official Game Thread: Baylor vs. Oklahoma State [Big XII Championship Game]

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
If we find a way to win a conference championship in the next 2-3 years this won’t sting as bad. But right now the program has competed for a conference championship 3 times in 17 years. This is improvement over historical averages, but the current program has advantages compared to most of our history. We may very well win a conference championship soon, but history says it might be awhile.
There were several years when we had no CCG, that the Bedlam game was for the championship though.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
I didn't like the outcome yesterday...I was at the game cheering my throat sore. I still had fun seeing my sister happy and excited for her team because she lost her husband this year. Fan's of BOTH teams were amazing....OU and Texas were NOT in the game...It was hard for me to lose...So, yeah, I've moved on...it's WAS one game, yes for a championship, with two teams who played hard and we lost by about an inch, it's NOT the end of the world.
This guy was not amazing. Had we seen him outside he would have needed an army to protect him. He also chucked a water bottle and then acted like OSU fans did it. View attachment 93704
Also? What else did he do besides the bottle?

OstatePokes

Territorial Marshal
Aug 24, 2007
Knoxville, Tennessee
There were several years when we had no CCG, that the Bedlam game was for the championship though.

In 2013 that was definitely the case. I could be remembering it wrong, but I don’t think the other years we were playing for the title. I really do think we should contend for the title next year, but ISU is a great example of how rare these opportunities are.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
I say we get rid of all the coaches from the O-side of the ball and give Dunn a choice to be the WRs coach.
I disagree. But I do think something needs to improve next season, whether that be play calling, the o-line, QB play, or all of the above. It'll have to if we want to sustain this level of success or improve it. The defense can only be so good.

Cimarron

It's not dying I'm talking about, it's living.
Jun 28, 2007
I disagree. But I do think something needs to improve next season, whether that be play calling, the o-line, QB play, or all of the above. It'll have to if we want to sustain this level of success or improve it. The defense can only be so good.
I don't think play calling was the issue, it's the execution of the play free of turnovers that's usually the most important.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
Completely agree. While the end of game play calling was atrocious, if Sanders doesn't throw four interceptions we aren't in that position anyway.
Then it's both... Our red zone offense has been pathetic all season. We look ill-prepared for it, whether due to scheme, execution, or both. Its also impossible to look at any single aspect in a vacuum. The game unfolded a certain way with both play calling and execution errors along the way. The INTs hurt us badly. So did the pathetic goal line offense. We lost due to both things.

PokeJ

Territorial Marshal
Oct 27, 2003
McKinney, TX
Visit site
I don't think play calling was the issue, it's the execution of the play free of turnovers that's usually the most important.
That's a lot of Sanders problems. It's not decisions it execution. Throwing balls behind receivers and overthrowing receivers Tipped balls going up for grabs. Even his completions are sometimes poor throws.

Working on mechanics and accuracy should be his no 1 priority.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Did anyone get a good view of the running play on 2nd down and goal? SS and other teammates thought we scored…it was weird we never saw the normal goal line cameras in those situations as in most all games this year. Anyone have goal line video of that play OR any play into the line from Saturday. Just seems like we scored a few times on each of the goal line drives. 2nd down and goal to end it and the dive play after the pass on the previous drive. On each of these some of our players thought we scored…I’ve yet to see a goal line camera review of either play…why?

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2021
Wisconsin
That's a lot of Sanders problems. It's not decisions it execution. Throwing balls behind receivers and overthrowing receivers Tipped balls going up for grabs. Even his completions are sometimes poor throws.

Working on mechanics and accuracy should be his no 1 priority.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
In this case, it's decisions. SS should not have thrown three of those balls. He tries to do too much when the pocket collapses on him. It's also on the coaches, in my view. At this point, he should have gone through enough drills to learn what to do when he feels pressure.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
Did anyone get a good view of the running play on 2nd down and goal? SS and other teammates thought we scored…it was weird we never saw the normal goal line cameras in those situations as in most all games this year. Anyone have goal line video of that play OR any play into the line from Saturday. Just seems like we scored a few times on each of the goal line drives. 2nd down and goal to end it and the dive play after the pass on the previous drive. On each of these some of our players thought we scored…I’ve yet to see a goal line camera review of either play…why?
There was a very brief goal line view during the broadcast that (a) didn't clearly show anything for the time it was up, because the ball carrier got lost behind a bunch of people and (b) was cut short, because we inexplicably ran a play very quickly after they spotted the ball again instead of giving them time for a review.

JohnW

Wrangler
Aug 10, 2020
Plano
My biggest disappoint from the Saturday night loss to Baylor is we were on a national stage and did not show our best, ie that which we did all year to get us there. I think the defense did show their best but with the early interceptions they got put in with the offense to box of a team who choked out of the gate on the biggest stage.

But when we shut Baylor out second half as we did the sooners, and the offense managed to catch up with Baylor's early huge lead, our team looked like the team we were all year. But when we could not score inside the 10 late in the game including the final series, we got lumped back into that bucket of a team that cant handle the big moment..

That perception by some many bothers me a lot. Because that is not who we are. What they saw was not a Tiger Woods tough shot he pulled off to win or the sooners magic show like when they came back against Texas this year on a big stage.

I think we have the ight HC who is enthusiastic and at his best. Knowles is an incredible defensive coach and teacher. I think these two get more out of less naturally talented players. I cant remember a year we did not finish higher in the rankings there our recruiting class ranking. Doing more with what you have is a trait I recognize in those I grew up around in Oklahoma. I will ride with Coach Gundy and believe he will get us back there which is how you get that magic of Tiger etc.

I believe getting this much out of this team which scrapped by lower level teams in our first two games, might be Gundy's best coaching job. We have the foundation and a good winning culture, but we must improve every year to stay at this level. I trust Gundy to make the right adjustments to coaches

Last edited:

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
Completely agree. While the end of game play calling was atrocious, if Sanders doesn't throw four interceptions we aren't in that position anyway.
Do note, one interception was where Presley was hit while catching and it was tipped and caught. Another was where Sanders was hit while releasing the ball. Neither directly on him. Even a 3rd could be on the receiver not being in the right spot.

Last edited:

OkstateKerr

Territorial Marshal
Jan 13, 2005
Do note, one interception was where Presley was hit while catching and it was tipped and caught. Another was where Sanders was hit while releasing the ball. Neither directly on him. Even a 3rd could be on the receiver not being in the right spot.

The first one looked like the receiver was held and pulled back. Should have been a flag.