Official Game Thread: Oklahoma State vs. Iowa State

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
We were 2-10 on third down. That did not allow us to sustain drives, which put our defense on the field too much. They were gassed in the third quarter as a result. Regardless of what people say about our "strategy", it's dumb to run into 8-man boxes so often. Sure, you might bring a safety down which gives us a chance at a long bomb at some point, but that's a low % play, and totally isn't worth the multiple killed drives it takes to make that happen.

It was only a matter of time before that weak game plan lost us a game. We just don't have the personnel to play this style and win against the best teams. Simple as that.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
Here is our third down list

1st Half
3rd & 6 (failed to convert), pass
3rd & 1, run
3rd & 10, pass
3rd & 2 (failed to convert), run
3rd & 21 due to penalty (failed to convert), run

2nd Half
3rd & 5 (failed to convert), run
3rd & 14 due to sack, then bad snap (failed to convert), pass
3rd & 18 due to big sack (failed to convert), sack

7 of our 10 third downs were 3rd & medium or long.
4 of our 10 third downs were 3rd & 10+
We ran on 3rd down 60% of the time, and converted (1) of them (3rd & 1)

11 total drives (not counting the possession just before the half)

We failed to reach scoring position on (6) of those drives. The one coming out of halftime likely cost us the game, because ISU took the momentum at that point, and never gave it back.

Feb 15, 2017
Texas
And Gundy need to figure out his issue kicking the ball. The snap and holds look good but Gundy just isn’t making good contact with his foot ….. damn you Gundy.

And on that last drive, why why did Gundy snap the ball before Martin was set making it 1st and 15. Damn you Gundy, damn you 1!!!

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2020
Atlanta
you guys got cheated. That was absolutely a first down. It was crystal clear the rb was on top of the offensive lineman on the replay. I can forgive the guys on the field missing it, but the replay was 100 percent clear and the call on the field should have been reversed.

That doesnt mean Oklahoma State wouldve won, but chances for OT would look good with that 1st down.
Ppl are assuming we win if we get the first down or go to OT. The kicker already missed 2 kicks. That call didnt cost us the game any more than not being aggressive and allowing ISU to take momentum. When you don’t try to be aggressive and blow teams out most of the games will be close and statistically you will drop more than you think. We threw multiple passes behind the line of scrimmage on the last series to try to get a first down with a veteran QB does that even make sense?

Oct 7, 2012
I’m not tore up about yesterday’s game. If you would have told me SS would have zero turnovers and I would have said Pokes win.

3rd QTR Seems to be be key. Pokes gotta figure out how to get some points. And better 1st and 2nd down productivity would be nice.

All that said, Pokes aren’t at CFP level this year. But given the FBS landscape, definitely top 15. So is ISU. ISU made a few more plays than OSU did. No shame in that loss. I sure would like to see OSU/ISU in CCG game.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2004
Edmond, OK
I’m not tore up about yesterday’s game. If you would have told me SS would have zero turnovers and defense makes a goal line stance ( I haven’t seen anybody give D credit for that) I would have said Pokes win.

3rd QTR Seems to be be key. Pokes gotta figure out how to get some points. And better 1st and 2nd down productivity would be nice.

All that said, Pokes aren’t at CFP level this year. But given the FBS landscape, definitely top 15. So is ISU. ISU made a few more plays than OSU did. No shame in that loss. I sure would like to see OSU/ISU in CCG game.
I‘m with you. If you would have told me before the game that Sanders would have had 3 touchdown passes, 40 yards rushing, and ZERO turnovers our odds of winning the game go up big time. Also, the defense kept the Clones almost 10 points under their season scoring average. Another great sign to winning the game.

However, the coaching staff clearly did NOT give the player any help to win the game. 3 things stand out. 1. Gundy vs. Campbell mentality to settle vs playing like a champion on the 4th and short situations. Campbell wins! 3rd quarter adjustments or lack there of. Campbell wins!! Late 4Q offensive playing calling. The second to last drive with 5:40 left, OSU goes away from what was helping Sanders be successful to an EMPTY backfield set. Sanders was clearly not comfortable and it was a quick 3 and out. Then finally on the last offensive series, what was the rush? There was 3:20 left and we had 2 timeouts. We had a 5 yard motion penalty because of the the unnecessary 2 minute drill. Why? Again, Campbell wins.

We may have a head coach who can get us bowl eligible each year like 65% of the other FCS teams, but he seems to let things happen versus making things happen when it comes to big games. Very frustrating.

Oct 11, 2008
Oklahoma City, OK
I’m not tore up about yesterday’s game. If you would have told me SS would have zero turnovers and defense makes a goal line stance ( I haven’t seen anybody give D credit for that) I would have said Pokes win.
What goal line stand? ISU scored touchdowns all three times they got inside our 10 yard line.

I dunno, might be the reason no one is giving the D credit for one.

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2012
What goal line stand? ISU scored touchdowns all three times they got inside our 10 yard line.

I dunno, might be the reason no one is giving the D credit for one.
I stand corrected. Not sure why I remembered that incorrectly. ( it mighta been that hammer ISU cheerleader I got a glimpse of coming out of timeout)

Anyhoo, It was a key play for ISU. 3 there instead of 7 and Pokes prolly win. Nice gutsy call by Campbell.

Thousand pardons.

Press On

Apr 7, 2006
I‘m with you. If you would have told me before the game that Sanders would have had 3 touchdown passes, 40 yards rushing, and ZERO turnovers our odds of winning the game go up big time. Also, the defense kept the Clones almost 10 points under their season scoring average. Another great sign to winning the game.

However, the coaching staff clearly did NOT give the player any help to win the game. 3 things stand out. 1. Gundy vs. Campbell mentality to settle vs playing like a champion on the 4th and short situations. Campbell wins! 3rd quarter adjustments or lack there of. Campbell wins!! Late 4Q offensive playing calling. The second to last drive with 5:40 left, OSU goes away from what was helping Sanders be successful to an EMPTY backfield set. Sanders was clearly not comfortable and it was a quick 3 and out. Then finally on the last offensive series, what was the rush? There was 3:20 left and we had 2 timeouts. We had a 5 yard motion penalty because of the the unnecessary 2 minute drill. Why? Again, Campbell wins.

We may have a head coach who can get us bowl eligible each year like 65% of the other FCS teams, but he seems to let things happen versus making things happen when it comes to big games. Very frustrating.
It's also Gundy's fault I have to take my shoes off at the TSA now... Damn you Gundy!!!

Jul 5, 2020
Broken Arrow
Here is our third down list

1st Half
3rd & 6 (failed to convert), pass
3rd & 1, run
3rd & 10, pass
3rd & 21 due to penalty (failed to convert), run

2nd Half
3rd & 14 due to sack, then bad snap (failed to convert), pass
3rd & 18 due to big sack (failed to convert), sack

7 of our 10 third downs were 3rd & medium or long.
4 of our 10 third downs were 3rd & 10+
We ran on 3rd down 60% of the time, and converted (1) of them (3rd & 1)

11 total drives (not counting the possession just before the half)

We failed to reach scoring position on (6) of those drives. The one coming out of halftime likely cost us the game, because ISU took the momentum at that point, and never gave it back.
The stats aren’t pleasant, but it’s tough to win games when you put yourself in that statistical position (highlighted).

Jul 5, 2020
Broken Arrow
Invest in TSA-Pre, start buying double-stuff since they’re now what OREOs were like back in the day, and thank God when you wake up every morning 1) that you woke up, and 2) that you’re not an OU fan. ;)

Oct 6, 2007
Piedmont, OK
I’m not tore up about yesterday’s game. If you would have told me SS would have zero turnovers and I would have said Pokes win.

Ranked #15 in both AP and Coaches Poll today.

snuffy

Calf fries are the original sack lunch.
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Feb 28, 2007
Oklahoma
That hurt.
We have been living in the edge all season so it should not be a shock.
It was first down.
if you put the game in the hands of the refs you are asking to be screwed.
We can still play in the Big 12 championship.
Still wearing orange!
GO POKES!!!!!!

Nov 6, 2010
That's shocking given Gundy's "killer instinct"./sarcasm/ Choosing not to go for it on 4th and two ft., down on their 15 yard line was the coaching mistake of the game, IMO.
Yea, thought that during the game as well. I actually disagreed with both FG attempts. The first one we should have either punted or gone for it as it was just too long an attempt for so little reward at that point in the game. And the second one, if we're a running team, prove it and get less than a yard when you need it. Having said that, we lost by three and make either of those and we're tied and don't worry about that 4th down spot at the end. Easy to make those decisions from the cheap seats.