Official Game Thread: Oklahoma State vs. Iowa State

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
Yea, thought that during the game as well. I actually disagreed with both FG attempts. The first one we should have either punted or gone for it as it was just too long an attempt for so little reward at that point in the game. And the second one, if we're a running team, prove it and get less than a yard when you need it. Having said that, we lost by three and make either of those and we're tied and don't worry about that 4th down spot at the end. Easy to make those decisions from the cheap seats.
I actually had no issues with either in the moment. Our kicker had looked solid up to yesterday's game, and the first attempt was an indication of our trust level with him. He just missed it, and that's ok. I was maybe 50/50 on the second one. On one hand - it was a close game, and we needed something to spark us at that time, so going for it on the 15 yard line with 1 yard to go made some sense. But Gundy played conservative, and wanted to go up 3 and sit on that lead. No telling if that cost us the game, but a missed FG certainly turned out to be the difference in OT versus a straight-up loss in regulation.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
Yea, thought that during the game as well. I actually disagreed with both FG attempts. The first one we should have either punted or gone for it as it was just too long an attempt for so little reward at that point in the game. And the second one, if we're a running team, prove it and get less than a yard when you need it. Having said that, we lost by three and make either of those and we're tied and don't worry about that 4th down spot at the end. Easy to make those decisions from the cheap seats.
I actually had no issues with either in the moment. Our kicker had looked solid up to yesterday's game, and the first attempt was an indication of our trust level with him. He just missed it, and that's ok. I was maybe 50/50 on the second one. On one hand - it was a close game, and we needed something to spark us at that time, so going for it on the 15 yard line with 1 yard to go made some sense. But Gundy played conservative, and wanted to go up 3 and sit on that lead. No telling if that cost us the game, but a missed FG certainly turned out to be the difference in OT versus a straight-up loss in regulation.
And at that point in time any points on the board could have kept us with better momentum, and thus maybe we don't end up in ot, but instead win the game out right.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
A question...
Do you rush the field when you are given a controversial spot to win a mid season game vs an undefeated Oklahoma State when you are favored by nearly 7 points at home?
I don't think I do if I'm ISU fan...but...
This one soured me to ISU fan...never thought I'd say that. I so sincerely hope we get to see them again in the conference title game because I think we win that game 8 of 10 times.

Last edited:

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
And at that point in time any points on the board could have kept us with better momentum, and thus maybe we don't end up in ot, but instead win the game out right.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
Make one of two field goals and we go to OT and I think win...get the spot and I think we go score a touchdown and win...it is what it is, we lost...but it isn't without controversy.

Jun 20, 2013
C'mon man! He had several years to do that with Yurcich, and never did. Sanders has flaws in his mechanics, and I don't blame him. They are the same ones he arrived on campus with, and they haven't been improved. He has the 8th fewest passing yards in the conference (with Connor Williams sure to surpass him in the next few games, and the 9th lowest completion percentage in the conference... ahead of only the Kansas QB.

I believe the issue is still be coaching, but it may not be as much play design as it is execution. The top 3 qb's in the conference have an average completion percentage of 73.7%. If Sanders was at the completion percentage, he would have completed 22 more passes this season. Based on his average yards per completion, that's 172 more yards on the season. That would put him at 1356 yards on the season, number 6 in the conference behind Spencer Rattler. Still not great, but with our caliber of defense we're a totally different team with a capable, not great, offense.

Aug 31, 2004
Austin, TX
A question...
Do you rush the field when you are given a controversial spot to win a mid season games vs an undefeated Oklahoma State when you are favored by nearly 7 points at home?
This one soured me to ISU fan...never thought I'd say that. I so sincerely hope we get to see them again in the conference title game because I think we win that game 8 of 10 times.
Well, considering they had a TD taken off the board due to a very controversial celebration penalty, I don't blame them. They're great fans who support their team, even when they're not doing that well.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Well, considering they had a TD taken off the board due to a very controversial celebration penalty, I don't blame them. They're great fans who support their team, even when they're not doing that well.
They scored what, three plays later? It washed, ours didn't. Difference in the game IMHO. I guess I should take it as a compliment to our program...which it is. I'm just a little bitter because I don't think we should ever lose to Iowa State...God love em.

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2004
Austin, TX
They scored what, three plays later? It washed, ours didn't. Difference in the game IMHO. I guess I should take it as a compliment to our program...which is it. I'm just a little bitter because I don't think we should ever lose to Iowa State...God love em.
Doesn't matter. Everyone knows that was a BS call. Would you feel the same way if WE had a TD taken off the board for something that petty?

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Doesn't matter. Everyone knows that was a BS call. Would you feel the same way if WE had a TD taken off the board for something that petty?
I would have been just as pissed off as I am about the ref's ending the game on a terrible spot. Let the players play it out fairly, they didn't do that...Once again, totally agree that "taunting" call was horrible and I'm actually glad they scored anyway...That, however, doesn't change the fact the refs screwed the pooch on this game and took it out of the players hands...it only adds evidence to it. The league needs to send that crew a sternly worded memo...because they sucked...hard.

Feb 15, 2017
Texas
Asking a line judge to put a ball down within 2" of where he thinks the ball is when a player goes down is . . well dumb. Physically impossible for him to do that. Would help with 2" grid line marks on the field, but 1 yards means he's plus or minus 18".

What they really need to do is on crucial spots, let the line judge use replay to spot the ball. Don't make the replay officials use the "indisputable evidence" hurdle, let the line judge use the replay to adjust where he thinks the spot should be.

Nov 6, 2010
A question...
Do you rush the field when you are given a controversial spot to win a mid season games vs an undefeated Oklahoma State when you are favored by nearly 7 points at home?
Think about it like this. We always feel we don't get national respect, but if a casual TV viewer sees a team rush the field when they beat Oklahoma State, it translates into "it's a big deal to beat OSU". I think that's a good things.

Dec 12, 2020
OKC
Tough question.
If you have to lose to one big 12 team, which one?
ISU, KSU, WVU, TCU, TT, TX, KU, BU, UO.
That’s my order.
If you mean that all the other games would still be up for grabs, then KU has to be last, because if we lose to them, we're losing all the other games too.
ksu, TT, WVU, TCU, ISU, BU, OU, TX, KU

I suppose my point about KU would apply in the opposite sense to OU, and also strategically, I guess you wouldn't want to lose to a team you might be in a tight race with to make the CCG, both of which would probably push teams like ISU and BU in front of OU for 'least acceptable to lose to', but I cherry picked not to factor that in.

Oct 24, 2021
Texas
you guys got cheated. That was absolutely a first down. It was crystal clear the rb was on top of the offensive lineman on the replay. I can forgive the guys on the field missing it, but the replay was 100 percent clear and the call on the field should have been reversed.

That doesnt mean Oklahoma State wouldve won, but chances for OT would look good with that 1st down.
If you knew the rules then you would know that the runner is down when the offensive player he is on is down. The second the OL’s knee or elbow or butt hits the turf, the ball carrier is down. Now we won’t even mention the penalty that wasn’t called on that play since it is illegal for another offensive player to pull or lift a ball carrier forward. They can push but can’t pull, and that was very clear for the world to see. Now had they called the penalty, OSU would have gotten another play, I believe but they chose to ignore and give a generous mark on the first scenario.

Oct 24, 2021
Texas
I would have been just as pissed off as I am about the ref's ending the game on a terrible spot. Let the players play it out fairly, they didn't do that...Once again, totally agree that "taunting" call was horrible and I'm actually glad they scored anyway...That, however, doesn't change the fact the refs screwed the pooch on this game and took it out of the players hands...it only adds evidence to it. The league needs to send that crew a sternly worded memo...because they sucked...hard.
The spot was generous and should have been further back.