Official Game Thread: Oklahoma State vs. Kansas

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Nov 25, 2009
Kedah Malaysia
Yes it is a nice feeling and I must say it's so nice to talk about it in an official game day thread. Nice nice way to spend a day. Don't overdo it on the whiskey, but enjoy. :)
Great weekend, oSu won Big easily. 0U loss to Iowa State again, Baylor got rape in overtime, and yet Texas is still not back.

.....and Tulsa & WV improving our SOS.

Sep 16, 2015
stillwater
I would expect Gundy to find both QBs time & honestly it's probably fair... BUT,,, CLEARLY,,, the problem with running QBs is the amount of time they spend injured and the controversy this can create for your offense... There's a reason why we remember Weeden & Rudolph... We've got arguably the best running backs crew in COLLEGE FOOTBALL!!! We need a pocket passer & The Illingworth story to take the big 12 & who knows, seems dependent on snaps & confidence... both would be diminished with Sanders return...

Nov 25, 2009
Kedah Malaysia
I would expect Gundy to find both QBs time & honestly it's probably fair... BUT,,, CLEARLY,,, the problem with running QBs is the amount of time they spend injured and the controversy this can create for your offense... There's a reason why we remember Weeden & Rudolph... We've got arguably the best running backs crew in COLLEGE FOOTBALL!!! We need a pocket passer & The Illingworth story to take the big 12 & who knows, seems dependent on snaps & confidence... both would be diminished with Sanders return...
Just play SS for a while since he in an upperclassman.

A running QB will rest our D more with longer ToP and will get opposing teams to prepare for a running QB. If the running QB get injured again, or we get behind in games and need a comeback, we'll send SI in.

Oct 7, 2015
St. Elmo, CO
Sanders worked fine against Texas last year, so the idea that he’s only good against “weak” opponents doesn’t wash.

Sanders doesn’t have to be Lamar or Russell to qualify as a good quarterback.

As good as I think Shane Illingworth will be, as it stands currently, we’re better off with the guy who knows the offense.
Let's not forget: Spencer Sanders is the fourth Cowboy and second QB named Offensive Freshman of the Year. The last OSU recipient was RB Justice Hill in 2016.

IMO-- Spencer Sanders has put in the time and effort to get the lion's share of chances to succeed. If he proves he's too fragile or ineffective, then even SS knows the answer to that. And Gundy is loyal to those that are loyal (CORNDOGS FOR EVERYONE). He'll allow Spencer plenty of opportunity to shine when he is healthy and is ready to retake the reins.

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2015
St. Elmo, CO
True that.

Gundy, in the past, did employ a two QB system with Rudolph and Walsh, but it takes this:
"Oklahoma State's two-quarterback rotation works because Rudolph and Walsh are selfless and willing to put the team's success over personal desires about starting." -- Bleacherreport

The problem with having that running QB and the throwing QB is that every defense pretty much knew what type of play we were going to run, especially when JW Walsh came into the game.

Last edited:

PokeJ

Territorial Marshal
Oct 27, 2003
McKinney, TX
Visit site
I’m comfortable with either. My only concerns with Sanders is the rust of not having played more than one series this year and missing the last portion of the games last season. That’s a lot of rust

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LS1 Z28

Territorial Marshal
Oct 30, 2007
Spencer Sanders' injuries:
HS SR: Torn ACL
RS FR: Thumb injury
RS SO: High ankle sprain

This is my primary concern with SS. He isn't the biggest guy and he doesn't appear to be very durable. He's missed multiple games in each of the last 3 seasons he's played. This is why I don't like having a mobile quarterback unless they're built like Cam Newton or Tim Tebow.

I think that SS has a bright future. I'm really anxious to see how much he's developed over the past year. But he's going to have to learn to avoid contact. He's no good to us standing on the sideline injured.

Oct 7, 2015
St. Elmo, CO
We're infinitely better with Spencer at QB.
I agree at this point in time.

We really haven't seen what Sanders can do this year when he gets comfortable in the game. He was in for such a brief period and it's unfair to compare his first year's successes and failures to this one.
Sanders is definitely got to be feeling the pressure to do better (and you know he wants to) than last year and to also show that he's the #1 QB, because "Stilly Illy" is getting better and better.

I can't wait to see Spencer come back out to lead the team against Baylor in two weeks.

GO POKES!!

TheMonkey

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 16, 2004
DFW
He was fat and in his mid-60s.
I might be misreading this, but I don’t find it funny at all. I have an incredibly fit 14 year old with Lyme disease. It’s an additional risk factor with Covid-19. This is in the sports forum, not politics, but I’m growing very tired of this trope. Over 200,000 people have died. They were not all over 60 and/or fat.
/grumpyrant

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
I might be misreading this, but I don’t find it funny at all. I have an incredibly fit 14 year old with Lyme disease. It’s an additional risk factor with Covid-19. This is in the sports forum, not politics, but I’m growing very tired of this trope. Over 200,000 people have died. They were not all over 60 and/or fat.
/grumpyrant
I agree with you, this is a sports forum. I've been guilty of doing this as well, but it doesn't help if you return fire...maybe we all need to get a thicker skin...this deal has effected us all and it's very frustrating and tiresome and all sorts of emotions. I think it would be good if we all took a deep breath and thought about what we post in advance. I'm guilty of not doing that in the past as well.

Sports is good for the soul, especially for those of us weary of all the other things going on in America right now...It's an extremely unifying thing when it is allowed to be so, let's all try to keep it that way. Were all Pokes, here, we love our team and are in unity on that fact, well mostly.

Cimarron

It's not dying I'm talking about, it's living.
Jun 28, 2007
Time will tell when Illingworth lines up across the line in more games. But so far he looks like the real deal. It's nice to have two QBs that can take you the distance.